Author Topic: Swift riflescope for the 30-30  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
Swift riflescope for the 30-30
« on: May 08, 2004, 06:11:16 AM »
I've decided to hang a scope on the 30-30 barrel.  I have been using Simmons and Tasco and BSA for a while now and I put a Bushnell 3x9x32 on my Max and I like it alot. After some discussion on another forum about the Swift brand I decided to give one of them a try. I found a 3x9x32 and most run 120 to on up on price  :shock:  but I found a camera shop that carried them for 78 bucks so guess who I ordered from!?? :roll:  Does anyone on here have one of these and how do you like it? Some say it's equivalent to a Leupold... :roll: We'll see... here is a link to the page....http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/products/Swift-Swift-3-9x32mm-WA-Matte-Riflescope-654M.html ......  it's the cheapest price I have found for this scope....
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 08:33:56 AM »
deadeye, I never had one but everyone on here that has, had nothing but good to say about them.

The 30-30 is like the 30 cal equivelent of the 35 Rem.  Plenty of nockdown power with light recoil.  Way underrated for 200yds and less.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 08:38:49 AM »
Deadeye: I have a 3X9 and a 4X12 AO Swift, and agree that they are real close to Leopold. IMHO they are the best bang for the buck in optical sights. <>< :grin: Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 08:57:05 AM »
Thanks duce and handi....I'm kinda looking forward to it now.....I'm bored as I can't get out to shoot so I might as well order stuff on the internet! :grin:  I have heard some good things about the brand and the price I found is just the bonus I needed to slap that plastic! :lol: How long have you had yours duce? I noticed it did only carry a five year warrenty. Most others are limited lifetime...oh well......hopefully it will hold up to double duty as a tent stake hammer.... :roll:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline whitedogone

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 12:28:53 AM »
Just remember that there are two different series of Swift scopes.  The Premier line is the one you want.

WDO
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 06:06:09 AM »
Quote from: whitedogone
Just remember that there are two different series of Swift scopes.  The Premier line is the one you want.

WDO
:oops: UH-OH! The one I ordered is the standard line...I'm a skin-flint and I shopped for the cheapest price...but....I don't think the Premier is offered in a 3x9x32 though...I'd have to look....anyway I have never looked through one so....here goes...should be here in a couple of days....

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 06:17:33 AM »
Yup...the premier is offered in 3x9x40 only but it's only 25 bucks more....maybe next one will be a Premier.....I picked the 3x9x32 because I bought a Bushnell not long ago in that size and I like the smaller objective lens on it....it's not a bad scope either ...thats why I'm doing a comparison on this new one......

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 11:02:48 AM »
Well..I just may be getting the Premier 3-9x40...Got an e-mail todaay saying it was B A C K O R D E R ED!!! I wrote the lil gal back and asked if I could substitute the 674M model( 3-9x40 Premier) and am waiting for an answer.....who knows...the Premier was 25 bucks more....Thanks whitedogone.. :x

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 11:54:54 AM »
Well! Nothing like makin the last four posts on your own topic !  :-D  Got a conformation e-mail from the distributer and they had the Premier 3-9x40 in stock and it's being shipped out tomorrow...I'm getting really anxious now! So... do ya think I'll like it whitedogone and duce??? Come on and build me up guys!! Sorry to say this is about the most expensive scope I've bought in a while! LOL (except the Bushnell and I can't remember what I paid for it but it was more than I usually pay for other scopes!) :grin:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 12:10:51 PM »
OK Deadeye, You did the right thing on getting the premier. I have always heard you can't spend to much on a scope, I just never seem to want to, BUT it is the right thing to do. You did good guy, and now the wait for it to get here. Let us know how it works out, heck I might even try to spring for one myself. Of course I could always trade you the .35 Whelen barrel for it......oops sorry, there I go with the gasoline on the fire now....<><.... :-D

Noooooo you don't...if your wanting to get rid of that Whelen barrel I get first dibs on it...

Mac
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 12:33:35 PM »
I hope it's a keeper....it's surely better than some of the other 'thrifty" brands I have purchased in the past and I really haven't had any complaints on them really...they are no hi-end scopes but they all have and do work nicely..... 35 Whelen barrel huh....man you are gonna get handirifle all excited here!!  :eek:  I can feel the heat from the flames now!  :wink:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline whitedogone

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 02:52:12 PM »
Way to go, deadeye!  I think that you'll really like the Swift.  One of the things that a good scope does well is to return to zero.  Some of your lesser scopes have a tough time at that.  

WDO

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 03:11:25 PM »
Nice whitedogone! I'm pumped..got a tracking number this afternoon so know it's on the way..corse I have no rings or a base for the rifle yet! LOL..Those look like millet rings on your set up . I like them too although I have Leupold on a number of rifles also....Leupold rings holding  BSA scopes.. :-D  Oh well...I guess I had better get busy and send an order to NEF for a base...do you have the ultra base?  edited to add..I gotta get someone to show me hoew to add pictures...I'm a knuckle head when it comes to stuff like that!

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 03:20:02 PM »
Got the scope this afternoon...really nice for the money!! I haven't rec. my base from NEF yet but can't wait...I have an extra set of rings packed away somewhere but may end up getting another set....whitedogone...what size Millet rings ya got on yours there in the picture? Med. or Hi? I wish I knew how to post a picture I 'd show everyone what it looks like. This model has a quick focus ring and a "locking port"  on the side under the adjustment knobs. You back out the screw and sight in the rifle and screw the set in and it's guaranteed never to move the original sight in point....I really do think it is equivalent to some of the high end scopes....more later...

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline whitedogone

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 03:28:24 PM »
The Millets that I used were med .ht.  in 30 mm.  They have plenty of clearance.  I don't know if the standard 1" would be shorter or not.

P.S.  We can get those pics here.  It just takes a little playing around.  Heck, I remember a day not too long ago when Jeff 223 was saying the same thing.  And look at him post pics now!  

WDO

Offline Deadeye47

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 04:45:45 PM »
Hopefully one day I can zoom into the 20th century with my puter skills and be able to post pictures like the big boys..! :oops:  I'm thinkin of ordering the med rings from Midway anyway till I can unearth all my stuff that is burried in boxes in the garage...and upstairs....and in the living room....and in the den.....and in the downstairs bed room and..... :cry:

DECEASED 10-09-05