Author Topic: PIETTA?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
PIETTA?
« on: May 08, 2004, 10:27:26 AM »
Now i want an 1847 walker, question is uberti or pietta. I can get them for about the same price, but the uberti is on back order. I'm afraid if i wait too long the prices will change. Is the uberti substantially better than the pietta? Thanks- Tad :D

Offline Cactus Cris

• Trade Count: (0)
PIETTA?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 04:58:11 PM »
As far as I know Uberti is the only manfg. for Walker's.  Taylor's will have them in real soon.  I was going to get a pair at EOT but they didn't have any in stock.  Was a good thing too.  Walked around with a pair stuck in my pants to see how they felt weight wise.  My back said "Do not do this anymore"  So I got a pair of 61 Navies in .36.   Walkers are HEAVY, but way cool to shoot.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline J.W.Neely

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Dragoons-sptia
PIETTA?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 01:16:45 AM »
Cactus Cris, my back talks to me also....if the back ain't happy, you ain't happy.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
PIETTA?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 07:30:10 AM »
My back has given me some sass at times, too. But, I can carry my Walker without pain. The secret I guess is the rig I use. It's really nothing but the old military Sam Browne Rig---a belt and holster with a shoulder strap that goes over the shoulder opposite the holster and attaches to the belt in front of the the holster and behind it. Properly adjusted, the weight is evenly distributed and the gun won't pull the gunbelt (and maybe your britches) down around your ankles. I've carried my Walker in this rig for long periods without discomfort. The belt and holster you can get from a number of sources, but I had to make and fit the shoulder strap myelf. Not
really difficult though and well worth the effort.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member
N.R.A. Endowment Life Member

Offline Tad Houston

• A Real Regular
PIETTA?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 09:58:39 AM »
Cabelas offers them, and say they pietta manufacture. Whats the best price you guys have seen them for? Cabelas gets $330. I really do want one for the "shock and awe" factor. :D

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
PIETTA?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 12:07:13 PM »
Given the way brands like Pietta and Uberti have let their prices creep up recently, you might want to consider a second hand Colt. You probably won't get one in the box that's never been fired, but a really nice one can be had for not much more than the Italian guns. And, you'll have a real, honest to God Colt! Makes a fine family heirloom in the years to come and a great shooter.
   Sometimes, if you are very patient, you will be lucky. Several months ago, at the Springfield gunshow, I bought an "F" series Walker, n.i.b., unturned, for about $150.00 more than a new Uberti would have cost. This was blind luck for sure, but there are bargains to be had and the showing of some $ along with a bit of haggling can often tip things in your favor. I have yet to pay full ticket for any of my Colts. Anyway, This might be something to consider.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Big John Wyatt

PIETTA?
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 12:12:51 PM »
Tad, I have 2 of them and Uberti manufactured both. I bought one from Cabelas, and one in kit form from Dixie. There are only 2 current manufacturers of the repro Walker. Uberti, and Palmetto Arms. Stay away from the Palmetto brand. They cost $245 from Dixie but speaking from experience you get what you pay for. It had timing and locking problems, not to mention only popping about 1 out of every 4th cap. The kit gun cost $215, but it is a lot work to finish. It is assembled but you have buff and polish all the tool and casting marks out, then put the desired finish on it.
Cabelas is the best place to buy the gun, price and service. You can buy holsters for them at Dixie.
BJW
Thunder River Renegade
-------------------
"Say when"
-------------------
Back in Black

Offline Tad Houston

• A Real Regular
PIETTA?
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 06:25:41 PM »
Are you sure the cabelas ones :D  are uberti? I called customer service to ask and they told me pietta, but could well be they dont know what they are talking about. If you are sure pietta doesnt make a walker, i will go ahead and get one from cabelas. Big John, you got one from cabelas and it was a uberti? How long ago was that? Thanks for all the help- I'm getting close here.

Offline jgalar

PIETTA?
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 01:40:12 AM »
If you go to Pietta's web sight you will see they don't have many flavors of guns, they just make alot of what they do offer.

Offline Big John Wyatt

PIETTA?
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 02:59:28 AM »
I bought it in Dec.2003.
BJW
Thunder River Renegade
-------------------
"Say when"
-------------------
Back in Black

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
PIETTA?
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 07:28:31 AM »
A used Colt? They are made in Italy.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline filmokentucky

• A Real Regular
PIETTA?
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 09:16:43 AM »
Actually, the Colt black powder guns were made here in the good old U.S.A. The barrel and frame forgings were shipped in the rough from Italy and machined and polished here. The second generation guns were built in New Jersey I believe, but quality control was by Colt. These are considered to be the most valuable and the best made. The third generation guns were made in Brooklyn and aren't as sought after. I only have one of these and it isn't finished as well as my other guns but it is a good shooter. Periodically the story about them being made in Italy resurfaces---like rumors about Elvis being alive and well and working in a gas station in Peoria---it just won't go away.
  For the record, the second and third generation Colt percussion revolvers were made in America and are considered to be genuine Colts--
both by dealers and by Colt. When I was thinking of having a percussion revolver engraved and fitted with ivory grips, the engraver (John Adams Sr.) told me to get a second generation Colt because it was a real Colt and it made no sense to spend the time and money on anything else. And
he was right.
N.M.L.R.A. Member
T.M.A. Member

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
PIETTA?
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 02:24:05 PM »
Try http://www.iar-arms.com.  Bought one from them last year, nice folks.  Theirs is a Uberti.  Presently listed for $259.95 ($380 cased), but call for availability as last year they told me the Uberti plant only makes a periodic run of them and is commonly backordered due to higher demand of other models.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
PIETTA?
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 05:59:46 PM »
I will say this for Pietta. I bought a 58' remington .44 BUffalo from Cabela's. I shot it a lot. The innards needed a cleaning so I took it apart. The little leaf spring that holds the cylinder advance in place was loosing it's spring so I tried to bend it forward a little. I snapped it off. A quick e-mail and a week later I had a new unfitted part direct from Alessandro Pietta. All I had to do was to use a whet stone to trim it up a little and install it. No postage, no shipping, no up front cost, they do have great customer service. I don't even blame them for the original problem. I was the one who didn't clean the actual mechanisim well enough. Lesson learned. I would buy a Pietta long before anything else to be honest with you just because of how well they have treated me.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline Good time Charlie

• Avid Poster
Pietta
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 01:07:17 AM »
I am afraid I have had a much different experience with them! I have a Pietta that the cylinders are so far out of alinement I am afraid to fire it. I e-mailed Pietta and they will do nothing about it. I have a very expensive paper weight! I would never buy anything made by them again!
                                  Charlie

Offline MOGorilla

• Avid Poster
PIETTA?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 02:06:55 AM »
I own 4 Piettas, and have had no trouble at all.  I don't recall what I emailed Pietta about, but it was more of a question, not a problem.  It took a little bit for the email to return (they did start the email with an apology explaining they had to translate the original email).  They in my opinion have good customer service.  Three of the Piettas came from Cabela's and 1 from Navy Arms.  Both of those have had excellent service as well on other items purchased.  Did you buy this one new Charlie?  If so, did the seller support it in any way?  You also may try the SASS wire.  One of the Piettas is a fairly regular contributor and answers any and all questions.

Offline mec

• Avid Poster
PIETTA?
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 03:02:32 AM »
Here lately Alessandro Pietta seems to be answering the e-mails himself.  His English is fluent or appears to be so from his messages.  They don't look like translations.
Guns are like the vote. They work best when everybody has one
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline hylander

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
PIETTA?
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 05:28:26 PM »
I purchased A Nickel 1858 Pietta about a year ago.
The flash holes in  the nipples were not drilled correct, I called Pietta and spoke to Alessandro Pietta and in less than a week I had nice new Nipple's
in the mail direct from Italy.
This Revolver is very well made and even with me shooting and a
fullhouse load it makes one ragged hole.
The same day I bought mine my freind bought a Uberti 1858 from the same guy, it is a good revolver but fit and finish is not as nice. Both were purchased New.
I would definatly by a Pietta again.
Failure is not an option
Placer County, Calif.