Author Topic: Carpel tunnel?  (Read 535 times)

Offline Deaf Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Carpel tunnel?
« on: May 08, 2004, 03:59:42 PM »
Does anybody know if carpel tunnel has any effect on shooting, or should I say shooting have any effect on a person with carlpel tunnel in both wrists? Should I restrick myself to non magnums? or only 22's? Or can i chearfully blast away the day with magnum 44's? I hav'nt been able to go shooting since befoure the diegnoosis due to other reasons not related so I really have no idea how shooting will effect my wrists with this problem.
Any info would be appricated. thanks
Jim L
Jim L
Proud TFL alumnus

Invalid e-mail address. TOS Violation. Acct. Deactivated

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Carpel tunnel?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 04:34:53 PM »
i the operation in both wrist and i can honestly say that I believe the many thousands of rounds of .475 and .500 added to the problem. Good news is that within 6 months of the operation i was back at it with the big bores. If you have the problem id recomend getting it taken care of right instead of suffering with it for years like i did
blue lives matter

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
Carpel tunnel?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 12:54:50 AM »
The very first thing my doctor told me during my surgery workup was that I would have to put my hunting handguns away for awhile. The awhile lasted from August 2000 until September 2001 for any use what so ever and from Septembe 2001 untill May 2002 before I could do any range work. Today in 2004 there are no more 1500 round weekends, no more 200 rounds afternoons of relaxing out on my range. Rounds down range have decreased by 85% from pre-surgery useage. :cry:
My youngest son is fond of saying that I will "live a miserable life and die old" sometimes I wonder if it is worth all the trouble. :?
Love those .41s'

Offline Deaf Smith

• Contributor
Carpel tunnel
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 09:34:41 AM »
Crawfish you had the surgery and are still having problems? I would think that 4 years after the surgery you would be back to normal? If thats what I have to expect why bother with haveing the surgery at all? dosent make sence. Right now I have to wait as I need my hands to use the walker and can;t deal with a cast and a walker as well. Hopefully soon.
Jim L
Jim L
Proud TFL alumnus

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
Carpel tunnel?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 11:20:36 PM »
YOU NEED TO GET THE SURGERY!!! But as with every sort of exercise you will have the same problem in time by engaging in the same kind of exercise. You don't think of shooting your guns as exercise or the act of holding your body weight using your walker?  It is just as much exercise as using a set of bar bells. When I was cut I had open R/shoulder reconstruction and R/carpal surgery at the same time. No cast on wrist, it was back in action in about 10 days but the shoulder was immobilized from 22Aug00 until 04Nov00, then PT three times a week for a year then strength training until last day in May02. Shoulder is about 98% strength wise and 110% range of motion wise. BUT I was told right in my face that the heavy hunting loads that I use in my hunting handguns would undo everything in a little as three years at the level of use before surgery so rather than go through that hurt an pain not to mention the expense ($28K thank God for good insurance) I have cut way back on the shooting so much so that I mostly am a bystander at the weekend shoots at my farm now. Just about all my “shooting” is with my cameras now. I still shoot some and I have just recently purchased a Browning A Bolt in .243WSSM was also I could start with light deer caliber rifles for the first time since 1989. Still haven’t shot it yet, still screwing up the courage. I have visions of my shoulder turning to mush at the first shot.
Love those .41s'

Offline Deaf Smith

• Contributor
Carpel tunnel
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 06:49:22 AM »
So its just the large hard kickers that would give you the problem? Then why have you stopped shooting? Practice with a 22 may not be the best thing for a 375 H&H but should do just fine for the ocosional 30/06. Or even the 45/70 with trapdoor loads if used in moderation. Handguns also have lighter calibers like 38 special especually wadcutter loads. Again the 22 and the 32 also. So why are you not shooting? Its just no fun without the heavy recoil? If what you are saying is true you could burn up 2000 rounds or more of 22LR or 22 magnums with no problems so why arn't you doing it? I don't understand. You say you can't shoot the hard kickers but what is stopping you from the so called mouse guns? You can blaST A DEER EASILY WITH A 308 OR 06. pLEASE TELL ME WHY?
(SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS the darn left han is somewhat screwy due to the CT).
Jim L
Jim L
Proud TFL alumnus

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
Carpel tunnel?
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 04:19:43 PM »
Didn't give up shooting just cut back by 95% on the full house .41 caliber stuff. I now shoot maybe 50 rounds a month instead of my pre-surgery 2K a month.  I have 5 rim fire guns that I do shoot allot to ease the withdrawal but it sure isn't like hanging on to a  12 inch Contender in .411JDJ for 50 -100 rounds at a go. I do truly enjoy shooting the rim fire stuff in fact my Savage 93 .17HMR is just about the most fun a person can have and stay legal. There is just something about all that juice in the big boys going off that gets under your skin. .
Love those .41s'

Offline Deaf Smith

• Contributor
Recoil
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 08:55:50 AM »
Don't I know it. while I think some guns the recoil is too much (like the 45/70 ro 375 jdj) I shoot them but not to escess but when it comes to regulat handgun calibers like the 357,41,44,45 etc I love them and the blast it is to shoot them. the super redHawk helps a lot as itis so big it absobs a lot of recoil all on its own I love shooting mine in 44 with full loads its quite fun and the recoil is easy to handle(when I did shoot) so yeah I do understasn where you are coming from.  Yet I am still the same man who fired a full brick of 22's through my contender when I first got my 22 barrel its just fun.
Jim L
Jim L
Proud TFL alumnus

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
Carpel tunnel?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 11:16:47 AM »
Hope I never have to give it up completely. Just one last thing to pee on your day. One of the biggest aggravators of carpal is that mouse next to your computer. I haven’t been able to find anything that helps other than to limit use. So I’ll say again schedule that surgery sooner than later. It really helps.
Love those .41s'

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Carpel tunnel?
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 03:05:13 PM »
Crawfish, I haven't heard anyone mention the old .411 JDJ for ages.  Had one several years ago and enjoyed it much.  This one had JD's muzzle brake on it and was a real pussycat, no more felt recoil than a .357.  If you feel that yours is a hard kicker, have JD put his brake on it, you will love it.  I let mine go to get something I thought I wanted more.  You know how that goes, wish I had kept it.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!