Author Topic: Spotting scope for around $300??  (Read 865 times)

Offline The Shrink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Spotting scope for around $300??
« on: January 09, 2003, 01:53:09 AM »
Is there a decent spotting scope available for around $300 that is clear, capable of resolving .22 holes at 100 yds, .30 cal holes @ 300 yards, and has is angled up where you look through it?  

I know nothing of spotting scopes, and when I get on some of these websites I get confused.  I see body prices and lens prices, and the total seems always more than I can pay at this point.  I don't even know how much magnification I will need, but the above objectives will give you an idea of what I am doing.  

A case would be necessary, I already have a Bogen tripod.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 03:37:19 AM »
Shrink,

Here is a reply that I recently gave to another member:

I'll give you exactly what your looking for as I too am in the same market as you.  

BUSHNELL ELITE 15X-45X-60MM W/ RAINGUARD SPOTTING SCOPE.

I have borrowed this spotting scope from a friend and I LOVE IT. Go to www.dnrsports.com and see if they have it. Most stores sell them for a little bit over $500, but I'm sure that dnrsports, if they have them, will be much less.

You may also want to consider the Nikon Spotter XL in the same power range. It's less expensive than the Elite, but it doesn't have rainguard, and I think that a spotting scope with Rainguard is a major plus.

Zachary

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 01:19:41 AM »
Zachary

Looks like it's got everything but the angled viewscope.  

Coleman had one but has stopped selling it.  I'm told that it will be back the end of January under a new name, Coleman was not the manufacturer.  Does anyone know anything about this one?  It seemed too good to be true, scope, tripod, and case for about $200, if I remember correctly.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 08:06:38 AM »
Sorry, but I don't know anything about that.

Zachary

Offline savageT

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 09:47:49 AM »
Dr. Shrink,
Last September, my wife gave me a Bushnell "Sentry" model spotting scope w/ armor coating.  That is the type you are looking for w/ 45' bent eyepiece.  It has variable power 18-36X50mm, with tripod (no case) about $150 here in Central NY State.

It has been a good scope for its intended use, but I doubt if it will distinguish 22 cal. holes at 100yds. (50yds. maybe!) unless you were to use those targets with the flat-black painted surface over the bright flourescent green background.  Those targets are great for seeing the hits!
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.