Author Topic: 20g or 12g tracker????  (Read 871 times)

Offline beefa

• Trade Count: (0)
20g or 12g tracker????
« on: May 10, 2004, 08:33:02 AM »
hello all, I plan on deer hunting in mass this year ,and i need a shotgun, most shots at the most would be under 60yrds.. Im leaning towards the 20g rather than the 12g (recoil) but is the 20g enough to take down deer at say 40 or 50yrds? and what slugs would you sugg? anyone that owns a 20gtracker lets hear  your opp, and what slugs you been using and acc of these slugs, thanks beef   :?

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
20g or 12g tracker????
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 09:31:13 AM »
i have a 20ga tracker 2 that my oldest son uses, it knocked a doe down in her tracks at 75 yrds last fall. i use winchester part. gold sabots, and i got to say that little old 20ga will do the job just fine, so have no fear, its PLENTY of gun for deer.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
20g or 12g tracker????
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 09:36:06 AM »
I like ti 12 but thats because it's what I have. Get the 20 and don't look back, these Tracker II's with the right  slugs are amazing. And yes, the 20 is plenty for deer here in Mass or anywhere!!!. Put the slug where it should be and the deer will drop like a rock. Better to hit your point of aim with a 20 than miss with a 12 because of anticipated recoil!!!...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
20g or 12g tracker????
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 09:58:11 AM »
The tracker II is a rifled barrel so you should use sabots in it.  The standard 20 gauge sabot slugs are great to 100 and then start falling off not long after that.  The high velocity sabots, like the winchester partition golds, are flat out to 150 and then start falling off after that.  Knockdown of the 20 gauge win part golds is comparible to factory (remington) 45-70 loadings.  But sabots are expensive.

For the shorter ranges you're talking about see if you can find a smooth bore tracker I at a gun show or pawn shop.  If you can't find one and have a good gunsmith in the area you might want to buy an NEF Pardner 20 gauge from Walmart for $87 and have the smith cut off the choke and install iron sights, peep sight, or drill and tap the 20 gauge barrel for a scope (12 gauge is too thin by most smiths liking for drill/tap, but some will do it).  Then shoot the cheaper 20 gauge 3"mag "rifled" slugs, of which benneke's are probably the deadliest.  Then you'd be set to 100 yards and save a little money, maybe enough in your lifetime to break even on the gunsmith deal...

Or you can do what I do, shoot a Parnder 12 gauge mod, $87, bead front, rifled slugs.  I've shot cheapo win's rifled slugs in the past but will be switching to bennekes (rottweil) slugs this year.  It's my stalk/drive shotgun during deer season.  I have an ultra 20 for my deer stands (shooting 3" fed barnes expanders).  The pardners modifications as it sits right now, truglo front sight replacing the brass bead, $12, synthetic stocks, $40 (or around that, I can't remember), shell holder on stock, $5.  It has a far amount of recoil but you never feel it when shooting at a deer.  :wink:

Hope this helps.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
20g or 12g tracker????
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 01:56:48 PM »
I can't speak to the subject of which Tracker to buy, but I can say something about using a 20ga. slug. I hunt with a 20ga. pardner youth model (yes i am an old geezer, but I like the shorter butt stock with an extra recoil pad. The pad, a shell holder, and a sling are the only things I have added to this gun. I shoot the cheap Win. slugs and they do the job. This past season I took two deer (both does) . One ran about twenty yards after a high lung shot. The other went about half that distance with the same shot placement. In 2002 I took one doe and one buck. The buck dropped instantly and the doe went about twenty yards before expiring. I have no qualms at all about shooting deer out to 75-80 yards with the 20ga. and it will shoot pretty good out to 100. But where I hunt 30-50 yd shots are the norm. Whether you choose the 12 or 20 you will be well armed for the job at hand.

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
20g or 12g tracker????
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 09:40:10 AM »
if your talking about a rifled 20 ga. load 'er up w/win part golds and it has enough power to kill a deer much farther than one couldshoot accuratly[ 200+ yds :eek: [900ft/lbs at 200 yds :eek:  :eek:  :eek: ]]. if your talking about a smootie load'er up w/brenneke smooth bore slugs and it will kill a huge buck at 100 yds. with reg rifled slugs rem, win,fed, you should keep shots at max 75 yds :lol: ."20 ga. deer hate 'em :twisted:  :twisted: my shoulder loves 'em  :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek: