Author Topic: All Weather Tracker I Project  (Read 663 times)

Offline sd550

• Trade Count: (0)
All Weather Tracker I Project
« on: May 10, 2004, 04:40:27 PM »
I wanted to make an all weather Tracker I. So, I sent it to a gun smith to apply Kombat-Kote, which is supposed to be more durable than teflon, and installed Choate synthetic stocks.  Only problem now is that this thing weighs only 4 3/4 pounds and after shooting three inch slugs in it (12ga), its like a shoulder mounted one-five-five howetzer  :biggun:  but at least I don't have to worry about it rusting.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 04:07:53 AM »
I would think after you go through the pain of getting it sighted in just keep it for hunting and avoid the bench with it all all costs!!! I cannot ever remember any recoil from any shot I have taken afield or in the woods at game....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 50 Calshtr

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 04:09:57 AM »
Put some lead in the forend, I did mine and I wouldn't take it out on a bet now.  Aids balance and slows down the muzzle whip which you may have noticed before your eyeballs went out of calibration.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 04:15:31 AM »
My pardner 12 gauge 28" mod had gone through a similar change, but haven't gotten to the gunkote stage yet.  I have the same choate stocks and with stock mounted shell holder holding 5 3" mag turkey loads it's almost balanced like a factory wood pardner.  With the 28" barrel it weighs in around 5.5lbs.  I have in the past shot win 2 3/4" slugs moving along at 1600fps apposed to the 3" moving at 1760fps.  That's only a 160fps difference at the muzzle, at 100 yards it's half that difference.  Trajectory difference at 100 is less than an inch, with the 3" mags running around 3.5" drop at 100 when zero'd at 50 and the 2 3/4" slugs dropping a little over 4".

Given those numbers I doubt a deer will know the difference.  But my shoulder sure does!

This fall I'm also switching to brenneke (rottweil) slugs, their "original brenneke 2 3/4 mag" runs a 1 oz slug at 1590fps.  Should be about the same recoil as the win's I'm shooting (same velocity and slug weight) but I've heard and seen only good things from the brenneke slugs.  To lower recoil even more Rottweil also sells a "Brenneke MP" (multipurpose) which is 2 3/4", 1 oz slug, and lower 1500fps velocities.  And still a 100 yard deer slug.

If your shots are only to 50 yards you might also want to look at Remingtons reduced recoil slugs, running a 1oz slug at 1200fps.  It has the punch at 50 yards a 2 3/4" slug has at 100 yards.  You loose half the range, but also loose alot of the recoil (a very good youth load I would think).

Lowering the recoil of the load is one means to lower felt recoil.  Another is adding weight to the shotgun.  I'm going to pick up some toy bean bags that weigh a few ounces a peice and cram in the choate stock for a little weight and balance for hunting.  For range work I'll put in a larger sand or birdshot filled sock to soak up the recoil.

Regardless, my pardner will never see 3" mag slugs.  The difference in performance is very small compared to the amount of increased recoil.  For turkey I brave the 3" mags, they're the only hevishot loads I can find.  But again, adrenaline and shooting only one shot, I never feel a thing.  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun