Author Topic: custom traker2!!!!!!!!  (Read 1044 times)

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
custom traker2!!!!!!!!
« on: May 11, 2004, 10:08:38 AM »
i'm thinking about making a semi-custom traker2 8) . i have a sb-1 action that i'm going to send in for a t2 20 ga. :lol: barrel.then i'm going to drill and tap it and mount a bushnell 1.5-4.5x32 banner series scope. then because i hunt alot in bad weather i'll put a monte carlo synthetic choat stock. plus a few exra accesseries[scope caps,sling,deadmule,ecc] this will be my new foul weather/brush hog/deer gun :wink:  any comments/info ilike it all :wink:  :wink:  :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline scruffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
custom traker2!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 10:46:45 AM »
Another stock option is also from choate.  They make "tamer" stocks for .410, 20, and 12 gauge shotguns.  NEF only makes the .410 "tamer" shotgun, but you can get the 20 gauge "tamer" stock directly from choate.  If I remember right the 20 gauge "tamer" stock holds three shells (.410 holds 4).  It doesn't have the monte carlo profile or recoil pad, but it's a pistol grip and holds three shells securely.

In all honesty I don't know which I'd prefer, the synthetic monte carlo or the "tamer" stock. :?

Also, like another member here had done, I'd gunkote the metal so it doesn't rust in wet weather.  Plus a matte gunkote finish would eliminate any glare off the barrel (spooked one deer that walked up to me during turkey 2nd season).

And I think if I planned on using it only as a bad weather brush hog I'd skip the scope and go right to a williams peep sight like what's on the buffalo classic and target models.  With the rear peep it's plenty accurate for deer as far as the 20 gauge sabot will cleanly take one, and with the peep aperature removed the "ring" the aperature screws into becomes a ghost ring.  Very fast for up close action in the brush.  No rain to fog the optics, very rugged, light weight, visually see if they've been "knocked off" by a spill or drop, resetible after they've been "knocked off" by returning to original setting, etc.

Man, now I want one!!!!!  :wink:  Tracker I or II, synthetic non monte carlo or tamer 20 gauge stock (either is fine with me), williams peeps sight, sling, lots of slugs.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline 044

custom traker2!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 03:24:26 PM »
I have a gun almost exactly like you`ve described.20 ga, drilled and tapped with a 4x simmons pro diamond.I put on monticarlo plastic stocks.Shot a nice doe with a lightfield slug last season and the rig performed perfectly.Winchester makes a 20 ga. slug that uses the 454 casual(not sure how to spell)bullet and that is the one I`m going to try this year.A frind shot a nice 10 point with this slug and it performed perfectly.It went right through the shoulder and the heart and lodged in the hide on the opposite side.I thick you will be very happy wih this setup.By the way I use the encore base when I tap my gun.Good luck Griz

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
custom traker2!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 07:07:54 AM »
scruffy, where do 'ya get gunkote? i'd love ta do my ultra slug hunter and my new tracker2 8) .griz, the slug ya talkin adout is the win platnum tip. it shoots a .454 cassul at 1700 fps :shock: the win part gold shoots a .45 cal slug at 1900 fps. the platnum tip has 1150 ft/lbs at 100 yds :shock:  the win part gold has 1395 ft/lbs at 100 :shock:  :shock: . amazing for a 20 ga. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  ~buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
custom traker2!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 07:15:54 AM »
Buckslayer, look at brownells (www.brownells.com) for a do it yourself spray and bake.  Or there are many people on the web (do a search on gunkote) that you can send you gun away to and have them do it.

Fot a bolt gun that won't fit in your oven I can see sending it away.  But for these little guns a 24" slug barrel seperate from the small reciever should fit in a kitchen oven just fine.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
custom traker2!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 02:38:32 PM »
Griz is correct! The Encore base fits perfectly on the TrackerII. It also has three holes which I prefer over the standard 2 hole H&R base. The Encore base can be purchased as "Steel" or aluminum.
 My Tracker II is topped with a Simmons 4x Pro-diamond shotgun scope and shoots 2.75" groups at 100 yards with Federal Hydra-shok 3" magnums.
        vance
no x now!