Author Topic: .32 ACP ammo problem  (Read 666 times)

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
.32 ACP ammo problem
« on: May 11, 2004, 07:15:42 PM »
If any of you folks have some .32 ACP Winchester 60 grain Silvertip HP loads, lot #17TH51, be sure to function test it, even if you've used this type of ammo without previous problems.  Two 50 round boxes of ammo from this lot have shown multiple problems, with two squib loads and six rounds that required multiple firing pin strikes.  That's an 8% failure rate, in guns that were reliable with all other ammo tested.  The squib loads had just enough power to get the bullet out the muzzle, but the bullets failed to go through the target, and they were found laying on the ground in almost new condition in front of the target.  They did not cycle the action.  The most strikes required to fire a round was three, and the cartridge had to be rotated in the chamber to allow the pin to strike a new spot.  This ammo was loaded straight from the box into clean guns, and the ammo had been stored in the proverbial "cool, dry place."  The guns worked fine with Hydra-Shok, Gold Dot, and FMJ factory ammo available at the time.

Winchester is being notified by the dealer that sold the ammo, and if I hear anything worthwhile from the company, I'll be sure to post it.  

Be safe, and remember Armed Forces Day.
NRA life member

Offline S.S.

• Trade Count: (0)
.32 ACP ammo problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 08:27:15 AM »
They will probably blame it on your gun!
I have noticed a drop in quality of American made ammo
in general in the last few years. Even the so called
"Premium" lines of ammo . That is one of the very reasons
that I load my own defensive ammunition.
(I'll risk it the courts)
Used to be that only the .22LR would go BANG! BANG! pop!
from low charges! Now any American ammo you buy is
apt to have squibs. I got a .38 158 gr Round nose stuck
in the barrel of my Colt from a squib a while back.
Several more rounds sounded like they were not going to make it out either! I Broke those rounds down for components later that
week, and something was very strange! same lot of ammo,
different colored powder!!!  (some coarse black - some a very fine ground  green)  SOME QUALITY CONTROL!
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Ed Harris

• Trade Count: (0)
Not all .32 ACP ammo works - test yours
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 01:51:10 AM »
While the gun rags praise the Winchester Silvertips, not all guns will feed it.  Most of the WWII era foreign automatics I have tested, which include 1910 Mausers, Mauser HSc, Walther PP, PPK, Beretta M1935, and later postwar Beretta M70 and Browning autoloaders REFUSE to fed Silvertips.

PERIOD.

There are times I carry a .32 ACP when "any gun is better than no gun" and I want something flat and easily concealable.  For those occasions I carry only Fioccchi hardball, because it always works in my Beretta.  The same is not true of US ammo.

While the .32 ACP isn't my choice as a primary carry gun (my primary is a SIG P245 loaded with 165-gr. Federal Hydrashok +P),  having the compact auto is a viable option for times when it simply isn't possible to be discreet with the .45 ACP.
In Home Mix We Trust
From the Home of Ed's Red
73 de KE4SKY

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
.32 ACP ammo problem
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 02:59:24 AM »
Ed Harris- I completely agree with you on the Winchester Silvertips.  I have never been able to get them to function in either a 1910 Mauser or a PP.  When it comes to any ammo for those two I prefer the Sellier and Bellot 73 gn ball, which works both those pistols without malfunction.  Also, I think it is less costly than the Fiocchi and can be obtained in quantity.  Just my 2 cents.  Mikey.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
.32 ACP ammo problem
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 08:33:26 PM »
When it works, Winchester Silvertip does feed reliably in my guns.  This one lot of ammo simply didn't work.  Winchester has sent me two free boxes of ammo, so I'll have to spend some range time seeing if they're any good.

Since the most important thing in a defensive handgun is reliable function, followed by being able to penetrate to a vital organ, I see no problem at all with FMJ ammo in a pocket pistol.  I would like to see a truncated cone FMJ bullet of about 70 grains available for the 32 ACP, as I would be happy to use it if it worked in my gun.  I will never carry it with Winchester ST ammo again, and I've switched to another brand and style of ammo.  I may come back and post on this thread after I see if the free ammo from Winchester works.
NRA life member