Author Topic: SELF DEFENSE VS GAME GUNS  (Read 607 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
SELF DEFENSE VS GAME GUNS
« on: May 12, 2004, 12:26:34 AM »
I see and read a lot of discussions on a difference between a carry weapon and a game or race gun, mostly which highlight a reliability difference.
 Porting, compensations, weighting, and customizations aside I have wondered why a race gun, if that is a term universally understood, would not be, or need to be, as reliable as a carry weapon.
The basis for the question is my own desire to purchase a 9x23 in a six inch 1911. The ones I have come down to are in SVI and STI, which commonly are in the race, custom market. Although they are not what I call custom but semi-custom.
My desire is for a gun which is not highly customized by porting an such, but is mainly a ccw and will be used in some games. Are these two reialible is my question. Sure took a long time to get to the point didn't I.
If any have experience or strong opinion on this I would appreciate feedback.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 09:19:21 AM »
Geez, William, you're gonna conceal a six-inch 45?  I'd have trouble getting that thing into my glovebox!  :shock:  I know butts are harder to hide than barrels, but it sounds kinda strange.  

As to reliability, I'm sure the guns you mentioned are good, or they wouldn't be getting the prices they command.  Do you know (or could you find) some of their customers?  As long as the tolerances aren't TOO tight, routine maintenance should be enough to keep it perking.  But this is one reason I prefer revolvers.....reliability isn't often an issue! :wink:

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 09:58:07 AM »
-william-

STI makes a great weapon. I have never been under the impression that competition guns are less reliable than CC weapons. The differences I see in these are what type of ammo the guns are tuned for.

For example… someone shooting a 45 acp will down load their rounds for target loads so they need different springs or they will beat their gun to pieces. Where as someone with a 38 Super will have to hot rod their loads inorder to meet powerfactor so they will need stiffer spings.

I know many people that shoot STI race guns and they have never mentioned to me any problems with reliability. STI is the Freedom Arms of single-actions in my opinion. You have to figure these guys shoot their guns several hundred rounds a week, maybe more. They have a lot more opportunity for a malfunction than someone that shoots their defensive gun maybe twice a month. The STI are very tight guns so keep them clean.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 03:09:24 PM »
Papa-
I guess i'm just wantin a 6" gun--may be my last chance fer a shot of tetesteron(sp)--- Really I do like the looks and the 9x23 has me hooked, an, well so does the look. Forgive me for I have lusted. :grin:
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD