Author Topic: replacement nipples, ampco or stainless?  (Read 1025 times)

Offline highlander

• Trade Count: (0)
replacement nipples, ampco or stainless?
« on: May 12, 2004, 08:40:45 AM »
Whats the recommendation for replacement nipples, ampco or stainless steel?  The ones that come from the mfg. are not up to par, inconsistent, and the flash holes are too large.

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 12:35:10 PM »
I use Treso brand.  Get them from Thunder Ridge in Colorado.   Very consistent in size.  Rem #11 go on, stay on, and go off every time.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline highlander

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 02:43:31 PM »
Thanks Cactus Cris.  I have heard of them, I think they are made from ampco.  I see that Dixie also sells ampco nipples.  I wonder if they are trsco's? I have heard that working with ampco is a difficult process.  Would not think there are too many companies mfg then.   Any experience with the stainles steel nipples?

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 01:41:09 PM »
I ordered a bunch of Treso's from TR.  If they didn't have what I wanted in Treso, they'd send a replacement in their hardened stainless steel which costs $.50 more.  Same dimensions as Treso's.  

I've been happy with both.  A little tight for CCI #11's, but they do go on and go off every time.  Only had problems getting my capper in there to install caps.  TR's nipples are just a tad longer than stock.  Otherwise, they're well made and would not hesitate to order more.

Check out TR's website as they also have an application chart and cross references for both their stainless and Treso's.   Can't go wrong ordering either or from TR.  Service is friendly and shipping quick and if there's a problem, they DO get back to you.

Btw, to save on shipping, ask them to send it 1st class instead of Priority or UPS.  They just pack'em up in a bubble envelope and get them on their way.  I've ordered from TR twice and both orders cost me less than $2.00 ea for shipping.  Way coool!  :-)
Singing Bear

Offline quincy1

Re: replacement nipples, ampco or stainless?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 03:26:42 PM »
Quote from: highlander
Whats the recommendation for replacement nipples, ampco or stainless steel?  The ones that come from the mfg. are not up to par, inconsistent, and the flash holes are too large.

I have 4 Uberti replicas and use Ruger Old Army nipples on all of them. They run $2.00 or $2.50 ea and are stainless steel. made in USA.  work great with Remington #11 caps, they also  have hex head so you dont need that funky nipple wrench. I use a socket (forget what size) 1/4 inch drive. one less problem!
Quincy1