Author Topic: Sickening  (Read 635 times)

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Sickening
« on: May 12, 2004, 01:09:07 PM »
We have a local hunting/fishing paper here in New Hampshire called the Hawkeye.  I love reading this thing as it is written for the avid sportsman.  occasional they print news from the NH Fish and Game department.  They recently printed an article in response to an e-mail the F&G got from an anonymous hunter.  It is sickening to say the least.  I will just copy the e-mail that was written as the article is long and you all can guess how the guy responded to the dimwit (albeit in a nice way.)

"I think a youth Turkey hunt is a slam in the face of all the serious adult turkey hunters.  Why should they get an early start?  Let them learn the hard way just as most of us had to.  Give them a day during the regular season.  The same should be for deer season.  Many bow hunters, as well as firearm hunters, spend numerous days preseason scouting and setting up stands.  Why should a kid take a trophy buck that I've been watching all year?  Nothing stinks more than hearing a gun shot go off 100 yards away and know that the deer you've been waiting for has been taken because somebody got an early start.  Teach them the right way.  Let them have a day during the regular season when the animals are under pressure."

This is sad to say the least.  This sounds like a five year old calling dibs on a cookie and getting pissed because another kid ate it.  I was in the lowest of positions when I started hunting.  I had NO mentors, NO ONE to teach me, and even found the hunters I worked with less than willing to advise me.  I WISH I had been taught at a young age.  But am I bitter?  NO.  As a matter of fact I ENCOURAGE, I tell people to PLEASE take a kid hunting so that they do not have to start off struggling like I did.  The author of the article went on to state statistics that show the number of hunting licences sold is quickly dropping.  We are losing older hunters, and youngsters are not being taught so they can replace them.  This could be a bad trend for our sport.  i've come to know, as much as I don't want to believe it, that my friend/hunting partner is right.  He says "There are some REALLY selfish hunters out there."  He knows.  His father is one.  His father did not even want to take his own grandson out for the youth hunt a few years ago.  He told my buddy "why don't you do it?"  He told him that, seing as how my buddy and I just got our first licences and had not even gone out on our first deer hunt, he figured his son would have a better chance at getting a deer with his grandfather (a man I will admit KNOWS how to hunt.)  He did not want to eat up one of his weekends of bowhunting.  So he took my buddys son out (and it was sad at that as he really did not put much heart into it.)  This past year my buddy told his kid "to hell with it, ill take you out myself!  We may not see anything, but at least you and I can try, and be serious about it."  They did not see anything, but Im positive his kid appreciated it.  HELL, I tagged out on our second day and decided I would take his kid out so that my buddy AND his kid could have a chance at seeing something and maybe filling a tag!  It was time well spent if you ask me.
Im sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share this with everyone.  There are some sad people out there!  I hope you never meet any of them.
Brian M.

P.S. Another article was in here that came from  Minnesota.  Two men, ages 61 and 60 year old brothers, were fined $300 each for disturbing a youth waterfowl hunt.  They were videotaped by the adult supervising two 12 year old girls.  They were scaring off birds they wanted to shoot on the regular opener while they claimed they were "scouting for opening day."  Four hunters total were cited, but only the two brothers were found guilty.
I hope this is not a steady trend building.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
Sickening
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 02:27:23 PM »
It's simply selfish.  Unfortunately these people are hurting hunting's all ready worrisome future.  I challenge anyone who thinks these actions are appropriate to look carefully at why exactly they hunt.

Offline jhm

Sickening
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 02:33:48 PM »
N.H. :  People like that will always be crying its someones fault for their lack of anything in life, they feel the whole world owes them, they cant step up to their own short comings, good post, thanks for sharing with the rest of us. :D    JIM

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
Sickening
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 08:39:19 PM »
ok how about a safety issue, especially on opening day if your on game land its like a shooting gallery, were if its jr hunting day you can take the time to teach kids things an you don't have to worry about joe an bob that had 3 cases last night walking though the woods half hungover while your teaching your kids that were past down to you, an most of all yes they get a better chance at getting a animal i don't mean to be rude but reading what you said i take it you don't have kids?? if you do you will know if they don't have a slim chance of getting some thing or at least seeing some thing they will most likey want to do it more were if a kid is sitting their all day in the cold an dose not see nothing is not going to want to do it again, so personally i like to see them have more things like this
haven one or two days for each kids to ceratin age is good

better yet would you want a 10 or 11 year old that just got his hunter safety card 2 days ago around your hunting area for the first time on opening day or would you rather feel more better an safer knowing that most of the new hunters this year have had a few days experience a few weeks before
i would feel more safer

Offline jhm

Sickening
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 04:43:32 AM »
Slavage :  If the numbers were available I would bet that on opening day their are more first time hunters in the field that didnt require a hunter safety course (because of age) than the ones with the hunter course and most of us that raised children (4) myself usually keep our children close to us the first couple years to be on the safe side, I feel going the extra mile when it comes to making it a safe and enjoyable experience for all concerned. :D    JIM