Author Topic: Sickening  (Read 1082 times)

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Sickening
« on: May 12, 2004, 01:12:16 PM »
I posted this in the deer hunting forum but will post it here and in the Turkey hunting section too so it gets maximum exposure.

We have a local hunting/fishing paper here in New Hampshire called the Hawkeye.  I love reading this thing as it is written for the avid sportsman.  occasional they print news from the NH Fish and Game department.  They recently printed an article in response to an e-mail the F&G got from an anonymous hunter.  It is sickening to say the least.  I will just copy the e-mail that was written as the article is long and you all can guess how the guy responded to the dimwit (albeit in a nice way.)

"I think a youth Turkey hunt is a slam in the face of all the serious adult turkey hunters.  Why should they get an early start?  Let them learn the hard way just as most of us had to.  Give them a day during the regular season.  The same should be for deer season.  Many bow hunters, as well as firearm hunters, spend numerous days preseason scouting and setting up stands.  Why should a kid take a trophy buck that I've been watching all year?  Nothing stinks more than hearing a gun shot go off 100 yards away and know that the deer you've been waiting for has been taken because somebody got an early start.  Teach them the right way.  Let them have a day during the regular season when the animals are under pressure."

This is sad to say the least.  This sounds like a five year old calling dibs on a cookie and getting pissed because another kid ate it.  I was in the lowest of positions when I started hunting.  I had NO mentors, NO ONE to teach me, and even found the hunters I worked with less than willing to advise me.  I WISH I had been taught at a young age.  But am I bitter?  NO.  As a matter of fact I ENCOURAGE, I tell people to PLEASE take a kid hunting so that they do not have to start off struggling like I did.  The author of the article went on to state statistics that show the number of hunting licences sold is quickly dropping.  We are losing older hunters, and youngsters are not being taught so they can replace them.  This could be a bad trend for our sport.  i've come to know, as much as I don't want to believe it, that my friend/hunting partner is right.  He says "There are some REALLY selfish hunters out there."  He knows.  His father is one.  His father did not even want to take his own grandson out for the youth hunt a few years ago.  He told my buddy "why don't you do it?"  He told him that, seing as how my buddy and I just got our first licences and had not even gone out on our first deer hunt, he figured his son would have a better chance at getting a deer with his grandfather (a man I will admit KNOWS how to hunt.)  He did not want to eat up one of his weekends of bowhunting.  So he took my buddys son out (and it was sad at that as he really did not put much heart into it.)  This past year my buddy told his kid "to hell with it, ill take you out myself!  We may not see anything, but at least you and I can try, and be serious about it."  They did not see anything, but Im positive his kid appreciated it.  HELL, I tagged out on our second day and decided I would take his kid out so that my buddy AND his kid could have a chance at seeing something and maybe filling a tag!  It was time well spent if you ask me.
Im sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share this with everyone.  There are some sad people out there!  I hope you never meet any of them.
Brian M.

P.S. Another article was in here that came from  Minnesota.  Two men, ages 61 and 60 year old brothers, were fined $300 each for disturbing a youth waterfowl hunt.  They were videotaped by the adult supervising two 12 year old girls.  They were scaring off birds they wanted to shoot on the regular opener while they claimed they were "scouting for opening day."  Four hunters total were cited, but only the two brothers were found guilty.
I hope this is not a steady trend building.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Sickening
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 06:19:19 AM »
It is truely sadening how our "sport" has turned into a comercialized competition.  Oh sure there has always been a friendly competition to see who could get the biggest deer but it seems now that many in our sport are 'driven" to get the biggest deer at all costs. It is sad that so many are losing site of what the hunt means. In many areas of the country deer populations are exploding. At the same time the land is being "locked up" by the property owners to insure their own present and future success often resulting in the opposite result of what they are trying to achieve. They then blame the wildlife agencies for not properly managing the game.  The other down side is that most kids coming into this sport are going to be driven by peer pressure to "win at all cost" if lumped into the regular season. Early seasons give us the opportunity to teach them the true spirit of hunting. After only a couple of years of hunting with me my own son has already shown his preference of the hunt over the harvest. It's a great feeling to hear your son tell you after an unsuccessful stalk that "That was awsome". Youth seasons are instrumental in the recruitment and teaching of sportsmanship to the newest generation of kids.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Dusty Miller

Sickening
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 06:56:44 AM »
As our population grows older (them Baby Boomers are come'n!) there is going to be some generational conflict.  However, us older folk need to remember that we'll be gone in a decade or two and the youngsters  have to live in the world we leave them. If our behavior turns off young people to the shooting sports then the shooting sports will die.  It seems to me that if we cherish our shooting heritage we'll do everything we can to encourage the young people to become a part of it.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Contributor
Sickening
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 10:45:30 PM »
I, myself LOVE running into young hunters while out in the field, I quickly and eagerly give up my days hunt to stay with them and kinda show them things they may not know, I was lucky to have been tutored(at a young age) by (in my eyes) such a GREAT hunter(my Dad) I get a feeling of accomplishment when I help someone else take an animal that I dont get by taking it myself...I love it when people approach me and say "I saw little Nick's buck he took with you, nice one." which in turn I get to go into detail of the hunt, I like that better than tellin my own adventures. I also enjoy teaching people stuff that ,although at an adult age just missed out in the whole hunting scene while they were young, anything to help further this lifestyle and sport in which I was born into.
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
Sickening
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 04:24:30 AM »
It is sad that so many are losing site of what the hunt means.

How true!  Of course now-a-days is it really "hunting"?  I just see very little "sport" in sitting in a tree waiting.  Personally, to hunt is to go insearch of the animal.  that means actually walking through the woods.  Also, I think too many "hunters" put cartridge speed/energy before shot placement/accuracy.  These people are the ones that sight in once a year and put the gun away.  Is it really hunting or just wanting to kill something?  

As far as young hunters are concerned, I'm by no means an old seasoned vetern of the hunt but I enjoy seeing the young hunters out in the field.  I'd rather see them enjoy that animal than having myself take it.  What we show and teach these jr hunters today will greatly influence what our sport will entail in later years.  the @$$jack that wrote that letter to the paper is a perfect example of the types we don't want/need in the woods!
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Sickening
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 05:53:58 AM »
These people are the ones that sight in once a year and put the gun away. Is it really hunting or just wanting to kill something?

I wondered about this...since I have a neighbor who is just this way...so I asked him how he feels..and his reply was that he would love to go hunting and shooting more often..but since he works full time on 1 job  and has his own mobil auto repair buisness too..he doesn't have time to go...he loves getting together with friends and family hunt and fish and really wants to hunt more but finaces won't allow it..he enjoys what little free time he does take off work to do this...once or twice to fish...and only 1 time to deer hunt.... so not all of the good folks out there are that way...and it's up to us to make sure our youth have every opourtunity to go hunting and fishing...I was one of the lucky ones who's parents encouraged me to go...and I too encourage any youth to participate...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Dave in WV

Sickening
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 10:55:43 AM »
We have special youth hunts here and I'm glad to say I've never heard a negative comment. We have a special squirrel, deer and turkey season for youth.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline volshooter

• Contributor
Sickening
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 10:42:13 AM »
Cain't be much of a man if he gets pissed cause a youngin gets "his" deer. The greatest joy of hunting is passing it on to our kids. I will always give up the best spot to any kid hunting with us. What a jerk.
Rick