Author Topic: .35 remington magnum  (Read 1118 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
.35 remington magnum
« on: May 13, 2004, 04:27:49 AM »
since the .35 remington magnum has re emerged and coincidently raising interest in the 35 Whelen, I'm wondering how long it will be before NEF/H&R makes the 35 magnum an option?Do you think there's enough interest?

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
35 Rem Mag
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 05:13:48 AM »
My thought are And Have heard some one say, That H&R - NEF
 would not build a Magnum. I Could be wrong, Have been a few times.
pretty rare. Marv

Offline .308

• Contributor
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 05:23:41 AM »
I agree with Marv, that H/R will not produce any 'magnums'. I do wish they would consider something in a .35 caliber since they dropped the .357 magnum. How about a .35 Remington or bring back the .35 Whelen????????

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 05:57:59 AM »
either way would be good.There probably really isn't much difference between the two except the 35 magnum is shorter, which is probably why  more people are talking about the 35whelen again[ I see REMINGTON is doing another production run of their pump model]
 Higher velocities may make for better varmint cartridges but you can't beat''smack'' for bigger game, and the 35's certainly have that.

Offline Daveinthebush

Do you mean
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 06:48:28 AM »
Do you mean the .350 Remington Magnum?
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 06:56:43 AM »
I'd go for the 35 Whelen. :grin:
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 10:14:22 AM »
from what I've been able to see, the main advantage to the .35 Remington magnum is it fits in a shorter action.Funny, you know they come out with all these diferent cartridges, and sometimes the old ones are hard to beat.I hunt with a 6.5X55-nearly 100 years old, and the new.260 really isn't that much diferent.Makes you wonder if a lot of these ideas just come sales and marketing to make you disatisfied with whatyou already have.My dad told me nothing beats holding the gun straight....

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
35 Rem Mag
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 10:27:29 AM »
Young nan your Dad told you right, nothing beats holding a rifle right.
 Remington Brought the 350 mag & 6.5 Mag some years ago, They died,
 They are just introduceing them again Just a sales gimic. probly not go over to good this time ether.Just another of Marv. 2 1/2 centevos.

Offline Leftoverdj

.35 remington magnum
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 10:52:28 AM »
Marv, I half agree and half disagree. The .350 Rem Mag and the .35 Whelen are never gonna be big sellers, but there is a solid niche for them. The makers have been making limited runs, giving it a few years for demand to build up, and doing another short run. That makes good sense to me.

I got a boy up in Fairbanks. The Remington pump in .35 Whelen would be about perfect for his needs. If I can find a decent price on one, that'll be his next birthday and Christmas present. Five fast rounds of .35 Whelen is just the ticket where they have big stuff with teeth.

If NEF would do either .35 Remington or .35 Whelen, I'd buy one for myself as a cast bullet shooter.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 11:31:42 AM »
DJ, just the mention of .35 Remington and NEF together gets my heart  pumping hard!! We can only hope the company (NEF/H&R) brings thier skull out into the sunlight from where ever they have been keeping it and re-introduces the .35 Whelen and offers the .35 Remington. I am a lucky and happy owner of a .35 Whelen (Thanks Montanan!) as well as a 45-70 and, hold your breath, a 7x57 that shoots like a dream, with a couple otehrs thrown in as well. I do desperately ( :lol: ) need a .35 Remington though and want to be near the head of the line to order one if they ever become available!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
35 REMINGTON MAGNUM
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 12:00:48 PM »
I like to put a black bear in the freezer, makes really good smoked hams and also sausages.Plus the lard is good for baking.So- black bear can be tough to put down- that's why I was talking about ''smacking'' power.You don't need something  really hyper fast for shooting across canyons[ really bad idea to shoot bears anywhere else but on logging roads, or uphill from logging roads] but you do want something to put them down right where they are.If you really want to give your heart a workout- try shooting one back of the shoulders near a stand of young christmas trees- you know- the stuff where you can't see 3 'in front of you.Trust me, bears don't look for nice clearings to run into .....That's the advantage of ''smacking'' power- big  bullets at moderate speeds.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 05:27:33 AM »
The 350 Rem Mag is a short belted maginum case.  Ballistically not as capable as the .35 Whelen.  I don't think NEF/H&R will ever make it, since the .35 Whelen is a better cartridge and they have already made the .35 Whelen once.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 08:21:50 AM »
Sourdough
I hope you are speaking of reloads when you say "not as capable" since I just looked at the Rem web site that compares ammo ballistics.  In every aspect with the 200gr loads the 350 very slightly out performs the 35 Whelen.  Heavier bullets are not available from the factory for the 350 so I could not compare them.

The 350 was produced with the hopes of a short action (short action=stronger action=more accurate) short barrel brush gun with capabilities that met or exceeded the Whelen.  They succedded, but it never caught on.  Form all I have read it was a matter of marketing more than capabilities.  The 350 was produced in a rather light weight for caliber rifle that kicked like a mule.  Woods hunters didn't need the recoil of a gun that exceeded the 30-06 or 35 Whelen without much gain in power.  At least on paper.

Many were happy, and still are, with the 35 Rem with the same dia bullet but WAY less recoil.  true, the 35 Rem is no match for the Whelen or the 350 but at woods ranges and for nlack bear and deer it was more than enough to get the job done.  Much more forntal area the the 30-30 and about the same recoil and range.

I believe that is why the 35 is still popular today.  Much more so than the Whelen.  Guys that want more range usually go to the 300 Win Mag, that exceeds the 35 by a lot and with just a bit more recoil.

The 350 was and is a good round but just wasn't marketed properly.

Offline Sourdough

.35 remington magnum
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 10:07:30 AM »
Handirifle:  The 350Rem Mag only comes in 200gr bullet weight.  You can not load anything heavier for the Remington rifles, length is the problem.  I also own a Ruger M-77 in 350Rem Mag, I can load 225gr Nosler bullets with it but that is the limit.  I then have to load these rounds singly, they will fit in the chamber but not the magazine, they are too long.  With my .35 Whelen I can load 250s.  But the main reason NEF/H&R will not be making barrels for the 350Rem Mag is the fact that it is a belted magnum case.  The ejectors will not let the case seat properly without hanging up on their way in on the belt.  The 350 was designed for the little Remington 600, quite little gun.  Vented rib, laminated stock, butterknife bolt handle, and it kicks like a mule.  I've got one but it is strictly as a collector's view that I own it.  I made a nice wooden case with glass front and hung it on the wall.  I'll never shoot it again.  My Ruger is used every year by someone.  Right now it is stashed in a sealed 55gal drum along with a tent, sleeping bag, clothes, and misc camp gear, down in the Alaska range.  I took this stuff in last winter on snow machine, during hunting season the area is a walk in only area.  This way I don't have to carry a heavy rifle, just food and ammo.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline JPH45

.35 remington magnum
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 12:19:27 PM »
For black bear, I wouldn't hesitate to use the 'ol standby 30-06 loaded with 200 or 220 grain bullets. I doubt that H&R/NEF willever do anything like a 35 Whelen in anything other than somekind of special edition run. They will certainly never chamber the 350 Rem Mag, they have steadfastly refused to chamber ANY magnum based on the H&H cases. There are 35 Whelen  Handi Rifles out there from past special editon runs and even from when they did offer it for a short time as a factory chambering. I wouldn't hesitate to have a 357 Magnum barrel on an SB2 frame rechambered to 35 Whelen. I would be sure the job were done on a lathe, too much material to remove to do this job by hand and have a properly centered chamber when done. On black bear or even moose I bet the 30-06 with good 200-220 grain bullets will do the job just as well.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 12:36:04 PM »
JPH
I tend to think the 30-06 will perform as well with a 165 or 180gr bullet of good design, (nosler partition, A Frame etc) as would any of the 200 or 220's.

Most people that I talk to are VERY happy with even 165gr Nosler Partition on elk.  They are getting total penetration and good weight retention as well.

Many of the older design 200gr bullets didn't retain as much weight as a partition or similar type 165gr bullet, so the end terminal result it the same.  Rapid expansion and good weight retention.

I'm currently loading Hornady 165gr interlokt for practice and 165gr Nosler Partition for the elk hunt I hope to draw a tag for this fall, for my '06.

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2004, 06:01:44 PM »
JPH,

I have a .357 Mag Handi.  I have shot pistol bullets in it and I have shot rifle bullets in it.  However, I don't really know the bore diameter.  Is it a .357 bore like a handgun or is it a .358 bore like a .350 Rem Mag?

Offline JPH45

.35 remington magnum
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 02:24:28 PM »
Paul 5388, I have followed a bit of your journey with that 357, You are quite perseverant. I have too have shot both diameters in my barrel, but unfortunately I cannot answer your question, I have never slugged my bore. What is interesting is that the cast bullet I was using when I ws shooting trgets for the match, shot better for me sized to 359, as opposed to shooting them unsized. I have never been able to discern any difference in how the gun itself shot based on the bullet diameter, but we are of course only speaking of .001", nor have I yet been back to the bench with that load to see how it continues to shoot. Will know this weekend...4 DAYS OFF!!!!!!!!!! :-D  :-D  :-D
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
.35 remington magnum
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 04:53:18 PM »
JPH,

I just got 200 bullets from Beartooth of the 250 gr variety with gas checks.  These cast boolits are .359" and the gas check is a .358" (I was lazy and used a dial caliper (not Chinese) instead of a micrometer).  So far, the .357 Mag cases are shooting better than the .360 DW cases with both loaded in the crimping groove.  10.0 gr Lil'Gun in .357 cases are producing 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

OTOH, I have some home cast 158 gr LSWC that are shooting at 1.6" at 50 yards.  I believe they are .358's.  

I guess someone is going to have to slug a barrel to find out for sure.