Author Topic: What Knife To Take On Safari????  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
What Knife To Take On Safari????
« on: January 09, 2003, 11:22:24 AM »
Ok, this is most likely a silly question and I know someone else is going to handle the cleaning and skinning of the animals. But I would be lost without a knife of some kind. When hunting here in the states I carry a multitool(Gerber) along with a hunting/skinning knife but I got to thinking what knife do you, that have been there, carry if any? Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.huntingadventures.net
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 12:44:40 PM »
Your correct you won't need a knife but if you should decide to bring one the Leatherman with the locking blads is one of the most sought after tools by every PH in Africa. It would be handy to pack around for you and a nice token/ tip of the hunt to leave with the PH if you so choose.
www.huntingadventures.net
jjhack@huntingadventures.net

Offline Rocky

Which Knife for Safari?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 01:52:14 PM »
Boy did JJHack hit it with the Leatherman. Very popular as a gift at the conclusion of the hunt.

JJHack, what else makes for good gifts over there?

I've had good success with sending ahead a box or two of used clothes to give out during the hunt - kind of a draw straws, then take turns picking sort of deal. Also found fanny packs to be popular, but am interested in other suggetions.

Mucho thanks.

Rocky

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 03:56:16 PM »
Those bungie corded shooting stix and the binocular straps that connect around your shoulders and hold the glasses to your chest. Any brand of 10X 40 field glasses if your so inclined. Binoculars get an awful beating and PH's don't make the kind of money needed to buy high end durable glasses.
After all is said and done cash is best! 10% of the daily fee before discounting of the trip by the outfitter is a good tip.  If your daily fee is 250 a day and you have a ten day hunt it would be a 2500.00 daily fee. and ten percent of that is 250 bucks. With the current exchange rate in RSA that's about 2000 rand. Most will be content with that as a tip. If the hunt was better then you hoped for the only limit is your good will and your wallet.

Offline JJHACK

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2003, 03:19:17 AM »
Rocky, Sign in and register for us. This site is gonna be around a while and it would make it easy to go back and edit your posts or do some of the things non-registered guests cannot do.

As far as the help staff goes, they would take about anything inn the way of clothing. I don't bring things especially for them but just leave them with what I do bring for myself on occasion. It also makes for lots more room in the suitcase for things coming back with you from Africa.

Offline Rocky

Apologies
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2003, 07:40:36 AM »
Sheesh, sorry about that. I do log in, but my connection out here where I am is terrible - I lose the connection a lot and sometimes hit the submit button before I realize I've been kicked offline. I'll try to be more careful about that in the future.

Rocky