Author Topic: Drill and Tap for scope  (Read 793 times)

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Drill and Tap for scope
« on: May 14, 2004, 05:48:32 AM »
I have been thinking lately (always dangerous) that I might like to have my 20 ga. pardner  drilled and tapped. Could some of you guys that have done this give me some advice. Is it safe? What mount would you suggest? I like this gun a lot and it has worked well for me as-is. But maybe it could be better. Besides, I just want to do it.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Drill and Tap for scope
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 07:39:35 AM »
no problem on the 20 gauge. I had it done on 2 12 gauge's and went to 8/40 screws instead of  the 6/48's the normal rails are attached with. If you do put a rail on a 20 ( I plan on doing one soon ) I believe the standard 6/48's would be fine since they will go deeper into the metal (thicker on the 20 than the 12). I would also suggest getting a Ultra scope rail to allow you more room to mount you scope a bit more forward and using a scope with enough eye relief (5-6 inches) so you don't get slammed in the head by the scope upon recoil. Use a bit of 2 part epoxy between the scope rail and the barrel when mounting the rail being careful not to get any epoxy into/onto the mounting screws. Also, be careful so you don't drill through the barrel and into the chamber area.  Degrease the rail and barrel before applying the epoxy. Good Luck, its not difficult and it is safe....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline jschance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Drill and Tap for scope
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 05:26:05 AM »
1st off, make sure you know what you're doing, or have an experienced gunsmith do the work.

If you're doing the work, make sure you measure the depth of the steel in the barrel over the chamber and don't drill any deeper than you need to.  I used the chamber wall thickness of a 12 gauge tracker as my 'do not exceed' depth.  I set it up in a mill and then drilled and tapped the holes accordingly.

When you're mounting up the scope, degrease the holes, screws, barrel and underside of the mount then apply a light coat of loc-tite to the screws, and mounting surfaces of the barrel and base.  Make sure that your screws don't bottom out before they seat on the base.