Author Topic: wheel gun, which brand?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline newdr

• Trade Count: (0)
wheel gun, which brand?
« on: May 15, 2004, 11:02:12 AM »
I have decided to get a short barreled revolver (about 2") for CCW. 357 Mag. DAO. Which brand?

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 12:13:52 PM »
smith and wesson 640.

Be safe,
Scott

Offline Wes Hardin

wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 04:39:43 PM »
I have a S & W 637.  It is a .38 Spl. but is +P rated.  I wouldn't want to fire a gun that light with .357 Mags in it.  After a couple of cylinder fulls through that .38 Airweight, my hand begins to hurt.  But it is a delight to carry.  I just drop it in my pocket and hardly notice that its there.
Wes

"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline paladyn

wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 05:19:18 PM »
S&W or Rugers are the only ones I would consider, unless Colt makes one. I've had bad luck with Taurus.
Browning Hi Power
Colt Commander
Springfield Armory 1911A1
Springfield Armory 1911A1 Compact

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 04:45:15 AM »
Quote from: newdr
I have decided to get a short barreled revolver (about 2") for CCW. 357 Mag. DAO. Which brand?

You certainly have a lot of options: Charter®, Colt®, Rossi®, Ruger®, S&W®, and Taurus® come to mind. There are several factors to consider: How will you carry? Weight -vs- recoil? What does your budget allow? etc, etc, etc............... With Colt® you will have to buy used. All the rest are avilable both new & used. The best situation would be for you to rent some at a local range/gun shop; try before you buy. While we can offer recommendations in the final analysis the only opinion that counts is your own.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 09:11:19 AM »
I love concealable revolvers, but for some reason I can't hit anything past 30 feet with a 2" gun.  Add an inch or more and I'm fine!  In fact, three-inch S&W's are my favorite carry guns.  All I'm suggesting is that you test-fire the gun before you buy!  Some are easier to shoot well than others.

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline BruceB

wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 12:51:04 PM »
To my way of thinking, the 2" 642 I (a non-cop) carry frequently is mainly for ranges INSIDE ten feet, and that's where I do 75% of my practice.  As recently as last weekend, I did some shooting out to fifty yards with satisfaction, but the primary role is at eyeball-to-eyeball ranges.

Defensive shooting for average citizens is vastly more likely to be inside ten feet  than outside that distance, and hence the reason I do snubby practice as I do. In spite of this belief, my bigger guns get more-varied practice time and longer ranges too.

I would NOT carry a gun of this (Air)weight loaded with full-power .357 ammo, but at least having the revolver chambered for the longer round does allow experiments with both .38s and .357s, and there are many different load "levels" out there. My personal choice is Federal's .38 129 Hydra-Shok.  Full-power .357s are abusive in such a light gun, and recovery time is drastically slowed as well.  I know, 'cuz I've tried 'em.

When circumstances permit, I carry a more capable gun, up to and including a full-size .45 SIG 220.  The little .38 is the perfect answer to the statement that the first rule is to "Have a gun!"  It hides very sweetly indeed.

Brand for a snubbie??  S&W, S&W, and S&W...nothing else qualifies in my book.
Regards from BruceB

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 03:47:37 AM »
newdr:  make it a S&W.  And, in particular, you can make it a 38 SPL without worrying about losing anything to the 357.  I do not have a lot of faith in lightweight loads in either a short barrelled 38 or 357 and prefer heavy cast bullets for all my shooting in those calibers.  

One of my old favorites was/is the British 38-200, which is a 38 S&W, not the 38 Spl, that throws a 200 gn bullet at only 600'/sec, yet was close enough to the battlefield equivalent of the 455 Webley and the 45 ACP to be effective on the battlefield.  The biggest problem with that cartridge was when they loaded it down with a lighter weight bullet, which cost it it's effectiveness.  That load can be duplicated and bested with the 38 Spl, and even loaded into the 357 can be done so at reduced pressures.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline newdr

wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 03:15:20 PM »
Thanks for the help. S&W is popular.

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 03:58:07 PM »
Bought a S&W 329pd 44mag/44special - like it so much, bought a 325pd last weekend - shoots 45acp rounds.  Love them both.

Offline Gregory

wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 01:13:10 PM »
I've owned revolvers made by High Standard,  Smith and Wesson, Taurus, and Ruger.  My pick is S&W.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
my choice
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 06:48:56 PM »
my choice for ruggedness and versatility is the Ruger sp 101.  When I bought it, all the gun rag reviews kept comparing competing guns with the  101. If hitting is a problem try the Crimson Trace grips - my accuracy went way up.  I usually carry 38 +p or +p+ as the shells clear the cylinder better than the 357 and recovery back to target is much better.  But for back woods carry when weight is a concern I like the ability to shoot 357.  I really like the all stainless feature too.  Not to mention the grip fits me well.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline 45LC-Man

• Avid Poster
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 12:03:54 PM »
I was just reading this post and was taken by Papajohn who said that he couldn't hit anything past 30 feet with a short barreled revolver. In my estimation if you have to shoot that far in self defense then you are probably the one going to jail and not the one that you are shooting at.

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 05:08:12 PM »
Hard to beat the S&W 640.

Offline PeterF.

• Avid Poster
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 04:39:07 AM »
It's interesting how, when folks start talking "gun politics", they say, "I'll never buy another S&W gun, those back-stabbin' go'ment-lovin' weasels"; but, when asked what they'd recommmend (or use themselves) to carry, they pretty much all say "S&W".

Offline 45LC-Man

• Avid Poster
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 09:48:19 AM »
CK, I think in those particular instances that you just mentioned it would be justified in exposing a firearm and at least evening up the odds but to actually shoot someone at 35 feet away would put you at a disadvantage in a jury's eyes. One thing that we must remember, at least in Florida anyway, is the first step would be backwards in an attempt to not have to use deadly force. Running away from an assailant isn't "manly" but it beats having to do time in the big house. If you had your back to a wall in each of those circumstances, not including the man with the gun, then go ahead and shoot their lights out. Each incident would have to be looked closer to determine if lethal force would be justified.

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
2"carry
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 01:48:34 PM »
I cary a Taurus 2" non spur 44sp. Its light, rubber gripped, ported, ss,and shoots 200 hp, and 240 cast well at 15-30 ft which is what I practice at with smi-rapid fire. A five shot, and with speed loaders could be the equal of a 92fs. It would be all over by that time.
Jim

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: 2"carry
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2004, 03:53:28 PM »
Quote from: Jim n Iowa
I cary a Taurus 2" non spur 44sp. Its light, rubber gripped, ported, ss,and shoots 200 hp, and 240 cast well at 15-30 ft which is what I practice at with smi-rapid fire. A five shot, and with speed loaders could be the equal of a 92fs. It would be all over by that time.
Jim

An absolutely excellent choice for CCW. The 44Special really does the job; not flashy or fancy; just EFFECTIVE! (Kinda like John Wayne & Ronald Reagan)

Offline S.S.

wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2004, 04:40:41 AM »
S&W or Ruger would be your best bet.
And I agree with you Mickey about the .38-200.
I have an Enfield #2 Mk 1* revolver in that caliber
and it is one of my favorites. I wish S&W would
chamber the 640 in .38 S&W along with .38 S&W Spl.
I am about to give away my age a little, But my first
Issue Revolver was a S&W M&P .38 with .200 Grain
"Super Police" ammo for it. For those who are not that
old, that was a .38 Spl. loaded with a .200 grain lead
blunt round nose bullet. It plodded along at about
750 fps. It thumped pretty good on the receiving end
though.
I have read in this and other forums about
snub nose revolvers not being accurate at longer ranges.
This is not really a problem, For those who are worried about
such things, Set you a target up at 40 or 50 yards and give it a try.
You may surprise yourself. A lady officer who used to work
for the Atlanta police at their Range used to embarrass other
officers on a regular basis with her old "Chiefs Special".
What other officers could do at the 25 yard mark, she
could do at 40 or 50 yards.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline Old Griz

wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2004, 10:32:00 PM »
:cb2: Get a 2.5" or 3" S&W 65 or 66. Anything those crappie little J-frames can do, the K-frame will do better!

OK, now it's time for me to duck, because all those J-frame owners are taking aim . . . .  :-D
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2004, 02:50:19 AM »
Quote from: S.Sumner
 SNIP...........  

I wish S&W would chamber the 640 in .38 S&W along with .38 S&W Spl.

SNIP AGAIN..............

A lady officer who used to workfor the Atlanta police at their Range used to embarrass other officers on a regular basis with her old "Chiefs Special".
What other officers could do at the 25 yard mark, she could do at 40 or 50 yards.  

I believe that you can shoot 38 S&W Short and Long in a 38Spec Gun.

Offline mjb

.357 snub
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 03:33:25 AM »
My choice is a Ruger SP101 with a 2 1/4 inch barrel with a concealed hammer.

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2004, 08:17:43 AM »
I'm with Ol' Grizz on this one.  Got my M-65 last week and after some fast work on bowling pins, shot at some steel plates at 50 and 100 yards.  Didn't miss many.  Had the gun been a J-frame, I'd be lucky to hit the same things at 25 yards.  A J-frame is good up close, a K-frame is good a lot farther, and an N-frame is good out to levergun range, if you practice with it.  My last Chief was of the opinion that handguns were useless past 10 feet.  We took him to an outdoor range before deer season, and after sighting in our rifles, started shooting soda cans at 50 yards.  He about wet his pants, couldn't believe it.  Then we set up clay pigeons at 100 yards, proceeded to hit them every second or third shot.  The chief about died when I said, "We used to do a lot better before you replaced our wheelguns!"  

A week later he authorized five of us to turn our Berettas in, and go back to carrying revolvers.  It was like Deja Vu all over again!

PJ the Nostalgic

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2004, 10:08:56 PM »
As to shooting a bad guy 35 feet away, or 20 yards, or 50, it's all a moot point.  If a bad guy is doing something that justifies you in shooting him, the distance is pretty much irrelevant.  Justification of the use of Lethal Force, especially if he has a firearm, is the same.  If he has a knife or a club and is not an immediate threat to anyone, shooting him is wrong, period.  If he has the means to close the distance and do serious harm to someone, my job is to prevent that.  Being it by showing the weapon, threatening him with it or using it, I am responsible for the safety of the people on my work site.  In essence, I am the guard dog.  Step into my yard, and I will show my teeth.  Attack my "family", and I will attack you, with GREATER force than you display.  And I will keep on chewing on you until you are no longer a threat.  After all, I didn't start this fight, you did!
Grrrrrrrrrrr.

PJ the Pit Bull

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
wheel gun, which brand?
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2004, 10:12:36 PM »
As to shooting a bad guy 35 feet away, or 20 yards, or 50, it's all a moot point.  If a bad guy is doing something that justifies you in shooting him, the distance is pretty much irrelevant.  Justification of the use of Lethal Force, especially if he has a firearm, is the same.  If he has a knife or a club and is not an immediate threat to anyone, shooting him is wrong, period.  If he has the means to close the distance and do serious harm to someone, my job is to prevent that.  Be it by showing the weapon, threatening him with it or using it, I am responsible for the safety of the people on my work site.  In essence, I am the guard dog.  Step into my yard, and I will show my teeth.  Attack my "family", and I will attack you, with GREATER force than you display.  And I will keep on chewing on you until you are no longer a threat.  After all, I didn't start this fight, you did!

PJ the Pit Bull     (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr)