Author Topic: .270 for ELK?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline rich128

• Trade Count: (0)
.270 for ELK?
« on: May 16, 2004, 05:49:57 AM »
I'm going to Colorado this fall for my first ever elk hunt.  I've dreamt of this for years.  My question......I have a .270 that I love!  I want to hunt with it.  I know it's been the subject of debate for years as far as size.  Give me some OPINIONS on bullet size.  How about some past experiences?  I am thinking 150gr Noslers.  This ok?

Offline Lawdog

.270 for ELK?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 10:48:50 AM »
rich128,

First let me Welcome you to Graybeard Outdoors and to the Western Big Game Hunting forum.  The best place on the net for hunters/shooters going today(of course I may be somewhat bias).  Now to your question.  I personally believe that your .270 will work just fine with a good load of 150 gr. Nosler Partitions.  Another good bullet for you to think about is the Barnes' Triple-Shock X-Bullets in their 140 gr. TSX Boattail version.  From my testing nothing penetrates like a Barnes bullet.  Leave the plastic tipped bullets(Ballistic Tip, SST and the like) for something else of a lighter weight and body mass.  They fragment way to easily.  Keep us informed on what you decide.  Again Welcome to Graybeard Outdoors and the Western Big Game Hunting forum.  Small groups and tight lines to you.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
.270 for ELK?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 11:58:03 AM »
Lawdog is right on.   A 270 would do just fine, especially with a Nosler Partition or one of the bonded bullets.  I can not say I have experience with elk hunting, but many people that I have learned to respect (Lawdog being one) see the 270 as entirely up to the job, as long as the shot is accurate.  It could not be so popular a caliber out west if it was not up the the task. If you look up bullet expansion tests on the web you should also see some interesting tests being done.   Also . . . Welcome!  Glad to make your aquaintence.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline DakotaMike

.270 for ELK?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 12:55:16 PM »
rich128,
I have two friends that hunted (past tense) exclusively with the Win .270 during the late 80's. The cartridge will take elk cleanly but you will have to use a premium bullet and you need to stay within your shot limitations. I would advise using the 150gr Nosler partition over the Barnes x-bullets due to your need for penetration over bullet expansion. Stay away from quartering shots and long shots and have a great hunt.
dakotamike

Offline COS Guy

WSM .270
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 03:14:40 AM »
The Winchester Short Magnum in the .270 is a great elk gun, if anyone is in the market for a new elk rifle, I'd suggest the .270 or .300 WSM.  The ballistics are great, and either of these guns with the proper ammunition are deadly on elk out to substantial distances.  I'm not an advocate of taking real long shots, but these guns increase the distance at which you can expect to make a humane, clean kill.

Offline rockbilly

.270 for ELK?
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 04:48:44 PM »
I agree with all of the above comments.  I have been sucessful with my .270.  I have also killed several Elk with my sporter 6.5x55 Swed.  I wouldn't go any smaller that that .............

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
.270 for ELK?
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 07:03:36 AM »
I used the 150 grain Speer Hotcor to take several elk in Wyoming.and this bullet worked fine. Shoot behind the shoulder bone not into it to save meat and get better bullet performance inside the elks chest. Why waste energy on bone than can be used more effectively on lung/heart tissue?  You are not going to break both shoulders anyway.  Bullets tough enough to do it give wound channels too small in diameter for my taste.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
.270 for ELK?
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 04:37:29 PM »
I have taken more elk with my 270 than with my larger calibers. I have a 300 Rem SAUM, and a 338 Win mag that I use also but I just like the 270 better so I use it most of the time. I have never lost an elk with any caliber so I would say if you like your 270, use it.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline TopGun

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 02:15:43 PM »
Go read Jack O'Conner's books on the 270 and then decide!! It is fine within it's limitations. You owe it to the Elk to know them. Enjoy your hunt!! I have 4 on teh wall and guided into 17 others. None were killed big magnums unless you consider a 7mm Rem mag a big magnum. In my opinion it's not mush different than a 30'06. The 270 is fine with teh right bullet, of which there are many. The 140 Fail safe in mine is extremely accurate and will do number on one to my maximum of 250 yards., maybe 300 on a broadside shot. Shoot till it drops cuz an Elk can cover alot of ground in 30 seconds. :eek:
The first shot is the best shot, it may be your only shot!  Do it with a single-shot.
NRA Life Member 1980
HHI Member #2933
NAHC Life Member
RMEF Member

Offline rich128

Negative results
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 03:33:01 PM »
:( Hello guys, I'm frustrated.  I was hoping the 150gr. Nosler Partition (Federal Premiums) was going to be my bullet but, my gun won't shoot them worth a darn.  My groups at 200 yards are around 6".  Not acceptable.  I'm shooting a Ruger model 77 in .270cal.  Anybody found a good factory load that shoots well in a Ruger 77 and is big enough  for elk?