Author Topic: target/varment scope  (Read 1003 times)

Offline GuitarChar

• Trade Count: (0)
target/varment scope
« on: May 16, 2004, 06:01:22 AM »
I am looking for a scope for my  remington 700 .243. I want to use it for target, varment and maybe deer hunt too. I want it to be 20 or 24 power, at the least 18, 50mm optics, and between $200 and $300. I would like it to have a sunshade also, but that isn't that important. What should I get?

I was looking at the Redfield illuminator 6-20x50. Is this scope any good?

thanx

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
target/varment scope
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 01:46:42 PM »
Take a look at this link and if you still not sure, read the reviews page.
http://www.muelleroptics.com/Eraticator.htm

MO

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
target/varment scope
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 05:39:52 PM »
I can say this much i just recived my new 3.5x10x44 from mueller from a buddy of mine who is on there pro staff (tom)  current i have a lot in swarvoski due to a pro staff slot i have on the outdoor channel, i asked for one to see how well they realy were! well after paying my money out for the scope all i can say is wow nice! great scope for the money  clear bright, and postive clicks was shot on my slug gun today  and held up very well and held zero for 50 rnds so far!  i will tell friends of mine about this scope in the future good job guys, maybe a 2x7-36 in the near future!

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
target/varment scope
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 12:58:32 AM »
Thanks for the wonderful feedback Deputy!
Tom's a great guy and were glad to have him aboard. We are getting alot of requests for something similar to a 2-7 and I think it's time we persue such a model but I dont think we'll make it in time for the fall season and may have to introduce it at the Shot Show next year..

MO

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
target/varment scope
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 02:22:44 AM »
Nowadays, I'd have to say I'd avoid the Redfield.  Resale value won't be good at all.

Scopes I have and that would be excellent for your uses are a Weaver V-16 4-16X42 and a Sightron S-II 4-16X42.  Those each have the perfect magnification range for the uses you stated.  Optically, it's a toss-up between the two.  The Sightron DOES come with a sunshade where the V-16 doesn't, but is available.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline Zachary

target/varment scope
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 12:55:34 PM »
When I buy scopes, resale value is the last thing on my mind because when I buy things, I buy them to keep.

That said, I would NOT buy a redfield scope.  The only scopes that I buy are Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest, and Leupold Vari-X III (or the new VXIII).

Granted, I also own a Nightforce scope (which costs over $1,000), and maybe someday I might just get a Swarovski PH (which are also over $1,000), but it's hard to justify buying these scopes when the other scopes that I mentioned are well under half the price, and are just excellent.

Zachary

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
target/varment scope
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 05:36:08 PM »
very true zachary, i have 3 in the ph series and one in the a line! but i own a few elites and now a great mueller,  for the money that mueller is wow!  when i get my new 204 and 17 i will be adding the mueller to them. that scope is tuff to beat!

Offline GuitarChar

target/varment scope
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 09:04:24 AM »
Zachary - Am am with you on the fact that resale is not a concern at all , and I'm sure that the Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, Zeiss Conquest, and Leupold Vari-X III are all very good scopes, but they are also out of my price range. You have to understand that I am a 17 year old kid and work at a greenhouse. I cant afford to spend more than $300.

As for the mueller eradicator, I am still looking into it. I dont really want illuminated crosshairs, but other than that it looks like a very nice scope.

Jeremy

Offline shoot'n hogs

target/varment scope
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »
I have 2 redfield illuminators 6.5-20x50.  One on my 17vs and another on my rem 25-06.  The optics are very clear and crisp.  I believe that I bought them for around 300.00 a piece.  Their an excellent buy.  I use them for target and hunting.  Like I said, for the money and magnification, you can't go wrong.  Head and shoulders above the rest in the same price range.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
target/varment scope
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 12:50:50 PM »
GuitarChar,
Actually on the Eraticator the entire cross hair doesn't light up, just the center dot does and that's only if want it to, otherwise the dot will just stay black. You could actually take the battery out of the scope and just use it like a standard scope.
There are many that are concerned about the weight of illuminated scopes but I can assure you that Mueller illuminated scopes are so light that they actually weight "less" than many non-illuminated long range scopes.
Here are just a few Examples:
22.5oz Leupold Vari X III  8.5-25x50 Long Range M1 (non-illum)
22oz Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40AO (non-illum)
21.5oz Swift Premier 8-32x50 (non-illum)
26oz Tasco Tactical 10x42 (non-illum)
26.5oz Simmons Whitetail Expedition 6-18x42 (non-illum)

21.8oz Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25x50AO "illuminated"

This model also features the new lenses we developed which exceeds the brightness and clarity of scopes that cost $100-$200 more, just ask Deputy. It appears that the Eraticator has everything you are looking for in your original post and then some.
Hope this helps.
MO

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
target/varment scope
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 05:10:46 AM »
GuitarChar,

Check you PM, I know where you can order a NEW Mueller Eraticator 8.5-25X50AO Illuminated for $199 and it includes one 3" sunshade FREE. If you want more than 3" of sunshade, they are stackable and are $16.95 a piece. I just ordered a Mueller from them yesterday. :grin:

If these scopes are as good as I have been hearing that they are, it definitely won't be my last Mueller. I am also awaiting the introduction of their turkey and slug gun scope, that should be an awesome scope like no other out there.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member