Author Topic: range finders  (Read 990 times)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
range finders
« on: January 09, 2003, 01:05:21 PM »
Have any of you used different rangefinders, and what would your recommendations be for an out west hunt.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Zachary

range finders
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2003, 02:16:21 PM »
I have the Bushnell 800.  I have used it numerous times for about 2 years now and it works great.  This would be an ideal model as I understand hunts out West can be quite long.

Zachary

Offline taxmiser

• Avid Poster
range finders
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2003, 03:28:04 PM »
Most peoples ability to make clean hits at 300 yards is questionable so I have a problem with 99% of the sportsmen(?) who feel the need to have 800 yard rangefinders.

I see crippled animals every fall and it is sickening!  If the animal appears to far it surely is..............

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
range finders
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2003, 08:03:28 PM »
I have the Bushnell YP-1000 and the new Scout which is rated to about 670 yards. It fits into a shirt pocket and reads further than anyone should be shooting. IT is what I'd recommend.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
range finders
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2003, 05:28:10 AM »
If you are willing to invest 30 minutes a day getting used to it, consider obtaining a binocular that has a mil scale reticle. I have used them since 1994.

This is a reticle, usually in the right barrel, that superimposes a graduated series of marks on your field of view. Knowing the average dimensions (height OR length), you can quickly calculate the approximate distance of the target.

The purpose of the reticle for hunting IS NOT to furnish the range for a ridiculous shot -- because this IS NOT HUNTING. This is target shooting at live targets.

You'll get much more of a "rush" getting close enough to spit on your elk, pronghorn, mulie -- whatever. And there's also quite a thrill getting very, very close, then spooking the game with a sound or movement. I could tell you stories . . . but I'll save them for another time.

It assists you to determine if the target is worthwhile stalking, and about how long this stalk will take. It's a tool, not a crutch.

A hidden benefit is that you don't need to carry more crap with you.

You'll need binocular for western hunting regardless. And Zeiss-Jena, Carl Zeiss-Wetzlar, Hensolt, Leica, Docter Optic, Elcan, and others offer the reticle. Most of these are beautifully refurbished military binoculars. Carl Zeiss-Wetzlar, for example, offers retrofitting reticles in several of their binoculars.

My apologies for the sermon and, perhaps, too much information.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
range finders
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2003, 09:53:18 AM »
Like Graybeard recommended, the Scout is a very nice rangefinder.  I would also look at the Yardage Pro 500.  Both of these are more than enough rangefinder that anyone will need for hunting.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Rol Page

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
range finders
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 02:50:52 PM »
I have the Bushnell Legend, and in use over snow covered fields find the max. range much less than the max. quoted in the literature.  Point being, "the best is often just enough" for the field conditions where cntrast adversely affects the performance.

Hope this helps, Rol
NRA and NYS Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member