Author Topic: Best quick detach weaver style rings?  (Read 643 times)

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Best quick detach weaver style rings?
« on: May 17, 2004, 11:09:03 AM »
Hello all,

I'd appreciate input from anyone who's used quick detach rings on a weaver base.  I see that Leupold has some but I've not used or handled them.  The main use of this would be to use a single scope on multiple rifles, hopefullying the zero would remain between mount changes (?) and scope adjustments would be repeatable.  Recommendations, suggestions, and basically any info would be appreciated as I have not used them before.

Thanks,
JCM

Offline Zachary

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 12:50:14 PM »
I have Warnes on my .375H&H Mag, but I think that the Leupold's are better.

You may also want to take a look at Talley as well.

Zachary

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 04:05:06 PM »
I use the Warne "Maxima" bases and rings as well as the Leupold QR-W bases/rings.  They work exactly as advertised.  The Leupolds look to be made by Warne.  One difference is the way the rings are put on the scope.  With the Leupold QR-W rings, the top part of the ring is installed similar to Weaver rings..  The ring is kind of pushed around the scope like the Weaver.  This method does risk scratching the scopes finish.  The Warne "Maxima" rings are just screwed around the scope.  I really like the Maxima rings.  One of the better products out there.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline akpls

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 04:27:22 PM »
I have both Warne Maxima's and Leupold QRW's on various rifles and both work equally well.  Neither ever fail to return to zero.  The Talley's are nice, but require their own proprietary base and cost a bit more.  They also are not available for a Ruger 77 like I needed for a couple of my set-ups.  I used the Warne's for those.  Badger Ordnance also makes a very tough QD ring for a Weaver style base that some competition shooters like.

Offline JCM

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 11:37:44 AM »
Do any of you use these on an Encore?  If so, what height do you use compared to the objective?

I'm looking to mount a 30 mm scope with a 42 mm objective.  I want to make sure I get the correct height, not to high but high enough to clear the barrel.

Thanks,

JCM

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 03:54:35 PM »
I have and due use them on an encore now! the warne ones. i have used the leupold and they work well. my current big gun has badgers on it

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 02:16:19 AM »
JSM,
The Omega and Encore use the same Warne base.  I have an Omega and use the Warne Maxima base and Warne Maxima "medium" 30mm rings to mount a Kahles 1.5-6X42 30mm with no problems.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline JCM

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 03:34:22 AM »
Thanks Chuck!  I think mediums it will be.  Take care,

JCM

Offline Zachary

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 03:44:11 AM »
Big6x6,

That's a beautiful set-up!  I have been looking at the Omega for a while.  Problem is, I hardly have time for rifle season, much less muzzleloader season. :oops:

Zachary