Author Topic: shipping a firearm  (Read 386 times)

Offline ranger730

• Trade Count: (0)
shipping a firearm
« on: May 17, 2004, 05:54:26 PM »
Im thinking about selling off some of my firearms question is if I do sell one to a person in another state do I have to go to a ffl dealer in my area (N.C.) to send it or can I just send it to a ffl dealer in there area myself and what kind of proof would I need to know if they were a ligitament dealer    :?

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
shipping a firearm
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 04:28:39 AM »
Chris, Im not a dealer, I know a copy of FFL is needed but I was under the impression USPS would not handle firearms at all. Didnt even think you could bring a firearm into a PO legally. If possible could you post your source for this info. I would be real interested in seeing what other common knowledge is wrong. thanks
NRA Lifer

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
shipping a firearm
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 06:11:43 PM »
i just went through the people dont know their own rules routine in Feb flying down to Texas with my trusty Marlin to hunt some javies. I work for an airline and know "our rules". I was flying on another airline whose rules on their website were ammo and firearm can be in the same case. Case must be locked and passenger is to have the only key. I printed it to bring.
Strike 1  At the gate Im told ammo and rifle must be seperate. No biggie.
Strike 2 Im told I cant lock the case because TSA must inspect it. Biggie in my book.
STREERIKE 3 Get the manager who dosnt know the rules either. I show him the rules off his website, seperate the ammo, give him the key to lock the case after its inspected and wait for its return before I head for the gate. Suprisingly, everything made it.
NRA Lifer

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
shipping a firearm
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 03:49:27 AM »
ranger:  based on what cknight and CJ provided, in addition to my own experience with ground shipping, I would strongly recommend spending the extra $25 (at least with my ffl dealers) and have them ship the firearm to a ffl dealer of the purchaser's choice.  Yes, it adds $25 or so at each end but the ffl dealer ships it under his ffl and it is covered by his insurance (at least with my ffl dealers) and whether it's UPS of FedEx, there aren't any problems.  

To me, it's not just a matter of getting the firearm somewhere at the least cost, it's a matter of getting it there securely and legally and without having to deal with fools and idiots who don't know what rules are and want access to your or the purchaser's possessions.

Let's not forget, that most firearms that are lost, stolen or just disappeared become that way before they even leave the shipping warehouses.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
shipping a firearm
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 05:05:51 AM »
Rifles and shotguns are OK to send USPS as long as they are not NFA weaons (full auto, short barreled, AOW).  Handguns cannot go USPS at all and must go common carrier.  You can, of course, call your local ATF office for confirmation.

According to the Domestic Mail Manual, C024:

3.0 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS
Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 1.1e and 1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 1.1e.

Again, calling the local ATF office before sending the gun off might be a good idea.