Author Topic: Opinions on a pistol for concealed carry  (Read 1223 times)

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Opinions on a pistol for concealed carry
« on: May 18, 2004, 09:10:57 AM »
I am shopping around for a concealed carry pistol and I am looking for opinions from the people experienced with this purchase.  I am awaiting approval of my permit paperwork and am expecting this to be completed within the next three months or so.  Here are the pistols that I am looking at for concealed carry:

40 cal Glock model 23 or 27
40 cal Ruger model KP944 OR KP944TH
40 cal Taurus model 140SSNS Millenium Pro PT140

A couple friends of mine have the Glock model 27 and I like the looks and feel of it but I don't know if I want that particular model.  So, what are the opinions on the above mentioned pistols.  As you can see, I want to keep the cost down to the $500 range or less.  I am also open to other suggestions for concealed carry.  Any info you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Mike
 :excuseme:
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline New Hampshire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 11:45:40 AM »
Im not a Glock fan so i would pass there (just cant get past its negatives.)
The Ruger P-series are some of the best out there....unfortunately they are big (might not be a problem if you are large enough to conceal full size pistols easily.)
The Taurus is nice, but there have been many posts of QC going down the chute.

As alternate suggestions I offer you:
Sig 245.  Above your price level new, but a used one could be had for about that.
Khar has a line of Ultra compact CC pistols in both steel framed and polymer and in calibers 9mm and .40 S&W.
And lastly, I would suggest you not necessarily overlook revolvers.  Ruger Sps are compact and powerful as well as reliable.

Hope this helps some.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline KN

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 12:10:26 PM »
I carry a Kahr P9 covert and could not be happier. Weighs next to nothing and is the slimmest I've found. They also have it in 40cal but most people I talked to that have shot them don't care for them because of the recoil. I shot one once and while its plenty stiff its not that terrible. follow up shots could be a problem with the 40 though because of the stiff recoil. My P9 shoots wonderfully. Put about 500 rounds through it with no problems.   KN

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 01:13:36 PM »
The glock is a great handgun, very reliable and durable, I own the compact 40S&W 10 shot cap,carry using a inside holster in the small of my back, hides well, never liked the look of the glock,has those Mattel toy look;) but for suburban field use, the glock is on the top of my list, I paid $535.00, comes with two clips as well. Remember you are carrying concealed so the compact is your best bet, a full frame is just too much to carry all day, I forget Im carrying my compact at times;) Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 01:46:47 PM »
I do not have one but am considering a Springfield XD.  They look nice and the trigger seemed good.  

Just may be worth a look.

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline txpete

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 03:11:44 PM »

point and shoot.
pete

Offline Wolfe

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 07:46:06 PM »
Look at the springfield XD sub. Now available in 9mm and 40 S&W. Worth taking a look at. I have the 4" service model in 9mm and it has been a joy to shoot.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 03:04:56 AM »
I took a look at the Springfield XD Sub-Compact on the web.  Seems like a viable option.  I like the look and the price tag is relaxing.  Another plus is the ultra compact size and the ability to easily conceal this pistol.  All points that I was looking for.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 03:13:05 AM »
How about a North American Arms Guardian in 32 NAA?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 04:12:25 AM »
txpete - nice lookin' ruggie.  

PA-Joe - dang good idea.

WNY_Whitetailer - I dunno pal, I know that glocks are reliable and that lots of folk like them but I'm not one of them.  My brother had one of those compacts in 9mm and it just did not fit and feel the way I felt a handgun should feel in my hand.  I didn't care for the short barrel, the muzzle blast and the recoil (whip) of the pistol and it was just a 9mm - the 40 isn't going to be any better.  He trained hard for quite a while with his AF hostage rescue types but just couldn't get all that comfortable with his glock.  He finally sold it.  

Whenever I'm in a gunshop and have the opportunity to overhear someone looking for a carry piece, I am both amazed and appalled at the comments I hear coming from some of the more 'knowledgeable' behind the counter types and general passer-throughs.  I mean, it's sort of like - where the hay do these idjits come from.  You really have to consider the quality of the advice you receive from some sources (behind the counter types).

I will suggest that you need to go to a dealer you can talk with, tell he or she what you want (carry piece of substantial caliber) and ask that dealer if you can handle/fondle some of the choices you are leaning toward.  I would go with the proviso that if the dealer cooperates, you may purchase from his stock.  If he's a buttsniff, go elsewhere.

But, the issue is that you need to be able to put your hands on 2, 3 or more specific handguns and make your choice.  

Now, in my opinion (note, my opinion), the 40 S&W isn't a choice.  Sorry, I know lots of guys and many PDs own, carry and prefer that caliber but it just doesn't do anything for me.  If you're not chasin' down bad guys or getting into running gun battles you surely do not need a 10 shooter.  If this is for personal protection you might be as well served with another type of handgun in another caliber.  Please understand that from my perspective, some of these highly concealable pieces are really meant for expert handgunners, either with lots of field/range/street experience or cqc experience.  Many of these things sure look sweet but won't serve you for jack in a hot situation without that kind of cold hard experience.  A good example is taken from some of the readings of PD shootings (actually, just discharges of the entire magazine), where LEOs with high range scores use up an entire magazine (15 or so shots) at near point blank range, with the bad guy doing the same, and both walk away unscathed.  What you have in this scenario is 30 shots going in two different directions with no 'intended' hits - that's not good.

You mentioned that some of your friends have a particular model of the glock - how do you like shooting it????  If you can shoot it well (well enought I hope) that's one thing.  But, if you are not an experienced handgunner I would strongly recommend another consideration - one with options of using different power ammunition, possibly better sights, different grip packages, etc.

All considered, this is just my 2 cents worth but I hope it helps.  Mikey.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 02:43:47 PM »
I have the Glock 27 with the finger rest extension and probably shoot it better than anything else I have. The recoil is not that bad and it has never had a misfire, fail to eject, etc. I only weigh 150 lbs. but have no problem shooting it. It's a great pistol and am looking at a Model 23 now. Also have a Taurus Millenium PT145, .45 cal. Mine does not any of the QC problems that I have seen mentioned here. It fits my hand better than any pistol or revolver I have and I have quite a few. Would by another Millenium series in a heartbeat. Extremely accurate out of the box, also. I carry both in IWB soft holsters.

I also have the Ruger P94 in .40 cal., but just too big for me to carry concealed. Use it for my woods gun during hunting season and plinking.

I don't reload and use either Hydra Shocks or STX's. Decent accuracy with both. I like .40 cal.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline Rmouleart

• Contributor
  • Aim small hit small.
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 03:15:18 AM »
Same model I have greenjeans,also got the finger extension, I'm 190Pd's and have big hands and have no problems with recoil or size of the frame, I like my glock for personal protection,always can count on it;). Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 06:50:35 AM »
I'm going to see my friend who has the Glock 27 this weekend.  We will be down at his land doing some construction so I'll ask him if he minds if I handle the Glock and possibly shoot it.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 07:48:57 PM »
I've been carrying concealed every day for many years now, and I've found that single-stack autos are the easiest and most comfortable to conceal.  It helps if the gun weighs less than 25 oz.  Kahr, S&W, Sig, various chopped and bobbed 1911s, and the budget Kel-Tec can all provide some options.  I'm also a big fan of snub nosed revolvers, and my current favorite carry gun is a S&W 60 with a 3" barrel in 357 mag.  Offhand, I was able to ring the 6" 25 yard gong with boring regularity at the range today with that Smith.  I can't even come close to that with my Kel-Tec P32.  Also, you can fire a revolver repeatedly from inside a coat pocket, which might come in very handy in some situations.  At one time, I always carried a snub in my strong side coat pocket, and I had a couple of speed loaders in the other side to balance the hand of the coat.  It was easy to hold the revolver at the ready for a close threat without causing undue alarm, and that was a very comforting ability for my job at the time.  Revolvers also tolerate pocket lint better, up to a point.
NRA life member

Offline ftw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 06:14:18 PM »
I have also carried concealed for a good many years. I have gone through a lot of guns and most are just to big and heavy to grab every single time you leave the house to run to the store or on an errand.

I have a Glock 26 and it is an amazingly accurate weapon and has never given me a minutes trouble. I carry it in a Kydex IWB holster.

My #1, always seems to be with me gun is a 2" S&W Mdl 36 .38 SPL. I stick it in a nylon IWB holster and wear it in the front of my pants at about the 1:30 position. Even in Georgia where I rarely wear more than jeans or shorts and a T shirt, it carries and hides well.
Inside of every Old Man is a Kid saying "What the Heck Happened"

Frank

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2004, 11:24:50 AM »
I forgot to mention that I am left handed so that may have an effect on which sidearm I decide on.  I handled a Glock Model 27 today and it just didn't feel right.  The gun felt fine in my hand but when it came time for me to release the magazine I had to fumble around with it because the magazine release is set up for a right handed person to operate with their right thumb.  Hopefully I can find a pistol with an ambidextrous magazine release as well as a safety.

Offline Wolfe

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 04:06:05 PM »
One more reason to consider an XD, ambi mag release. :)

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 07:41:22 PM »
WNY_Whitetailer-

My wife, dad, and father in law are all left handed, and my sister shoots left handed (eye issues).  I tend to buy defensive guns that my wife and I can both operate, from wheelguns with ambidextrous grips to the CZ 85 with virtually all the controls found on both sides of the gun.  However, there are ways that my left-handed relatives cope with the right handed shooting world.  Try getting in the habit of operating the mag release with your left index finger.  If the semi-auto that otherwise appeals to you lacks an ambidextrous slide release, just get used to giving the slide a quick yank backwards and then releasing it with your right hand.  If your right hand is occupied, find safe ways of nudging the slide to allow it to go forward after a reload.

Of course, there's one gun design out there designed by a left hander that favors lefties in all respects- the Colt Single Action Army, and its many clones and derivatives.  It's not the best thing to bring to a gun fight, but if you really want a gun that's for a lefty...... :)
NRA life member

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 10:42:50 AM »
Wolfe...I agree...The XD is looking better and better every day.  It is a serious contender.  Now to decide whether I really want 40 cal or would a 9mm be more to my liking.

Offline Peddler Parsons

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2004, 04:18:12 PM »
:D
  Go for the XD 40 you will love it
Peddler Parsons
SASS # 31281  R.O. II
SBSS # 259
Shooter of the Holy Black

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2004, 07:45:21 AM »
Have any of you XD supporters had a problem with the grip safety and the USA trigger safety system?

Offline Wolfe

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2004, 08:57:13 PM »
No! No problems at all. Don't notice the grip safety. The trigger is great.

Offline Norwester

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2004, 11:13:28 PM »
No problems at all,and the reaction I'v had from diehard Glock fans re the trigger on my XD40 Service model..."HEY! WOW!"   :wink:  :lol:
Jeff

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Working...
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2004, 03:06:34 AM »
Excellent...Every day I get more and more excited about buying an XD...Hopefully my permit paperwork finds it way through the system quickly.  I need to buy this gun and practice, practice, practice...Now to find a good holster that I feel comfortable carrying.

Offline Norwester

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2004, 11:29:12 PM »
You might look thru here http://www.gunnersalley.com/ They'v got a large selection,great prices and customer service. If you decide on an XD I don't know about the subs but in the Service and Tactical models theres a slight diference in size tween the 9mm and 40 S&W models. Enough to make a diference in fit if you have a 40 and buy a holster built for the 9mm and vice versa. FIST builds their XD holsters sized to the specific caliber pistol and they have quite a few options. I'v got 2 of their "Hand Boned " leather models,bought a #8 close cropped shortcut for my XD and liked it enough to get another for my 1911. They'r well worth the 2-3 week wait.
Jeff

Offline coydoghunter1

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2004, 02:50:11 AM »
I like my XD40 4in so much Iam thinking really hard about getting the sub-compact in 9mm.Shot the 9mm at the range the other day and really liked it,it has a small rail for a light also.Just got to talk my wife into getting ONE more gun.Oh what the heck it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.Shoot straight coydoghunter1 :D