Author Topic: 300 whisper  (Read 1011 times)

Offline ratherbefishin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
300 whisper
« on: May 18, 2004, 12:26:31 PM »
anybody heard of this round?and was it ever offered by H&R?

Offline JPH45

300 whisper
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 01:02:45 PM »
this is a propriety cartridges of JD JOnes/SSK Industries. It is the 221 Fireball case necked up to 30 caliber, and the intended purpose is a subsonic, there by silenced round for use by Swat and Special forces units. I doubt very seriously that you will ever see this cartridge in an H&R, unless some intrepid soul literally builds it them selves. It offeres  fairly wide plinking latitude, and has even been used to take light deer
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline jeff223

300 whisper
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 01:07:13 PM »
the 300 wisper is a very accurate round too.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
300 Whisper info
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 01:41:36 PM »
More than you ever wanted to know about the 300 whisper can be found here!

http://www.quarterbore.com/300whisper/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
300 whisper
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 02:11:09 PM »
I don't like loud rifles or heavy recoil and I seem to shoot better the less there is of either.Maybe that's why I shoot my 22 way more accurately than bigger rifles, don't know.Awhile back some one told me they routinely took deer and goats[feral] with a 22 LR .Shots were limited to 50 yards and neck or head and  the buck never took a step.so a subsonic bullet as long as it;s accurate wouldn't bother me the slightest for taking deer.But-again- under those circumstances and confined to neck and head shots

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
300 whisper
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 03:03:21 PM »
I am not to sure about neck shots with a 22LR. I know I wouldn't try it. But any rifle will put a dear down with a shot to the eye.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
300 whisper
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 04:12:54 PM »
back of the eye.Neck shots are tricky- you've got to hit the spine.Either shot calls for an accurate rifle, standing shot, no more than 50 yards  and taking a rest.But- that said they drop like a ton of bricks.

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Re: 300 whisper
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 04:45:58 PM »
Reminds me of a story about a "native Alaskan" (Inuit?) who went to the gun shop to buy a new "magnum" for moose. The storekeeper kept handing him the wrong guns. Finally asked him what he hunted moose with now. "Twenty-two, but I'm getting older and can't stalk as well so I need to move up to a magnum." Storekeeper showed him a 22WMR cartridge and yep, that's what the old guy wanted.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
300 whisper
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 04:49:12 PM »
Getting back to the original question....

Go to www.sskindustries.com .  They have a lot of available chamberings in the whisper calibers.  

Some of them are pretty cool.

And no....It has never been offered by H&R and it probably never will be.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
300 whisper
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 06:04:14 PM »
that story abou the Alaskan native using a 22 for moose is probably no joke.The white guys go out armed with howitzers and fire from 1/4 mile away.The Indian takes his time ,gets in close and pops one right in the lung, then sits down for half an hourand has a smoke.The moose, not being particularly startled carrys on about his business and quietly bleeds to death.Then the guy goes back and gets his wife to dress it out.....

Offline JPH45

300 whisper
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 12:01:53 PM »
Problem with using a 22 rimfire on anything larger than small dogs, is it is illegal and unethical as well. I am sure a great many Inuits and their kin have shot game with diminutive cartridges. Doesn't make it the thing to do. I doubt seriously that a 22 rimfire lung shot 3000 pund moose is going to get much more than sick. Buffalo Bill Cody was the first to run herds of buffalo with horses using Colt .36 Navy cap and ball revolvers to kill them with. Bill, quit the praticeafter a short time, saying that a revolver didn't have enough killing power for the job. He went back to his 50-70 to feed the rail crews. Imagine if you wuld a 38 special at muzzles length not being enough for the job.

There are lots of legal chamberings that don't get the job done either, I have in my life of hunting killed 2 deer that were wounded by someone else, a friend took shi first elk, a 400 pound spike, had a broken rear leg, shot by someone else.............Please have some feelings and ethics about the gam yu take and how you take it...........(please don't read into that that last sentence that I think you an unethical hunter either)

Legal in a few states is the 223 Remington. the Handi doesn't have a fast enough twist to stabilize the heavier bullets needed for the job. Lots of people have killed deer with 22 centerfires, I will leave the question of that up to them....I don't.

I am a woods hunter. I see a deer for 15 seconds at max, and have a window of less than 3 to decide, and shoot. If you are close range hunting with a rimfire, this is exactly what kind of hunting you can expect.

I would suggest that you get a Handi in 30-30 or 44 Mag. Both are mild recoiling. GET A GOOD TRIGGER JOB done on it. If you don't already then begin handloading. that would not be a big jump, the 300 Whisper is basically a handloaded only proposition. Corbon I believe makes a few factory rounds for it.

The 30-30 with proper loads can perform in the same range of velocity as the 300 bullet, weight to bullet weight, many make light plinking loads of 900 fps and less and with a well tuned rifle and well tuned loads and carefully chosen bullets, it is easily capable of being a 200 yard deer rifle. Not bad for what is considered these days as a beginners gun.

I would however stay the hell away from shooting deer with a 22 rimfire unless you enjoy being fined, jailed and lightened of your property.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
300 whisper
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 03:02:47 PM »
I hunt with an old indian and have personally witnessed 20 bucks in a row dropped right in their tracks-not  one single step- from a 22 LR right behind the eye.But- as I said- no shot was over 50 yards , and taken from a blind using a rest.Not one  buck  ran or was lost.But clearly,a neck or head shot is the only shot you can use with a 22..Anything else is liable to result in  a slow painful death.My point here is nothing can compensate for marginal shots,guys think they can getaway with using magnums and shoot from any angle. A 30-30 is a very good choice.Think like a bowhunter-Take your time, stalk your deer, and wait for the perfectshot.That's why I like using single shot rifles- and take a lot of deer.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
300 whisper
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 05:49:12 PM »
Please tell me your hunting on a reservation where tags, hunting laws, and such don't apply.

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
300 whisper
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 05:59:05 PM »
A .30-06 is easy enough to make into a whisper.  Use about 10 gr of Blue Dot with a 150 gr jacketed bullet of your choice.  I've heard of loads as low as 7.0 gr, but I normally load 21.0 gr with a 150 gr bullet for about 2100 fps and very low recoil.  Groups are about 1 1/2" at 100 yards.  

If you get too low on your load, you need to switch to lead bullets.  Stuck jacketed bullets are the pits to get out of a barrel!

BTW, a .22 rimfire isn't legal in Texas for deer hunting, but a Hornet is.  My neighbor killed one this last year with a Handi .22 Hornet at about 135 yards.  Neck shot it and it never moved, except down to the ground.

Offline ratherbefishin

• A Real Regular
300 whisper
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 06:37:41 PM »
native people have legal rights to hunt on their traditional territories, not just confined to reservations.They are not required to have licences, tags or seasons.Even pitlamping is allowed.However, these rights do not extend to endangered species or species otherwise requiring special draws.
 All I am really drawing attention to[ not advocating  22's for deer hunting] is that huntingskills are more important that relying on high powered rifles and sometimes I wonder about stories of 400 yard shots and wonder  how many deer are injured as a result.I'll take time to get as close as I can, sit tight and take  one shot.