Author Topic: More Calif. Mountain Lions....  (Read 637 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
More Calif. Mountain Lions....
« on: May 18, 2004, 02:42:41 PM »
Go to http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=5169703 for the story.

In the article it said,

Although mountain lions are very rare in California's residential areas, they have occasionally proved dangerous in less populated regions.

just goes to prove that Reuters hasn't done their research.  Back when the animal rights nuts got the Mountain Lion hunting ban enacted they did so by showing so called studies/surveys that were supposed to prove that there were only “9” Mountain Lions left in California.  Thus the Mountain Lion was in need of protecting so as not to disappear from California.  What surprised me at the time was the law makers actually believed the data the Mountain Lion Coalition and the Sierra Club presented.  Now it is estimated that their are somewhere between 16,000 and 30,000 Mountain Lions in California.  They regularly show up in large housing tracks and even on grammar school grounds(in San Jose 2002).  They have darted lions in L.  A., Sacramento and even in the hills above Oakland.  Rural Californians have learned to keep small dogs and house cats indoors at night or loose them.  If there is any state that needs a Mountain Lion hunting season it’s California.  We almost got the ban repealed the last time and many outdoors men and women are working to get it over turned.  Maybe the next time it when we get it on the ballot we will succeed.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 03:15:14 PM »
PALO ALTO, Calif. - A 110-pound male mountain lion spotted roaming the streets of residential Palo Alto for hours was shot and killed Monday after a dog chased it up a tree.

An 11-year-old black Labrador named Kelsy caught scent of the big cat and chased it up a tree until police arrived, according to the dog's owner, John Furrier.

"She had a ferocious growl that we've never heard before," Furrier said of Kelsy. "I think she's a hero. I think she could have saved some lives."

Police had been on the lookout for the lion after it was spotted earlier in the day. Officers who arrived to find it in the tree didn't have a tranquilizer gun, and said the animal started to run off, so they decided to bring it down, said Capt. Torin Fischer.

Footage of the shooting taken by a KPIX-TV crew appeared to show the animal resting on a high limb in the tree, raising its head slightly, when it was shot. Not everyone was happy with the turn of events.

"I think it's absolutely atrocious the way the police behaved because obviously the animal was not posing a threat to anyone," said Alfredo Kuba, from the animal rights group In Defense of Animals.

The neighborhood where the lion was shot was far from the mountains the big cats normally call home. This was in the middle of residential Palo Alto, just a few blocks from an elementary school.

"It's very rare," Fischer said. "I can't remember something like this in the last five years."

Maybe Mr. Alfredo Kuba could have climbed the tree and carried the cat to "Saftey" :)

Gun Runner

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 05:59:48 PM »
Darn it, they killed the lion.  The whole plan is to populate the Bay Area with Lions so they can eat those tree huggers who voted out Lion hunting.  They need to live with the problems they create. \\

Send more hungry Lions to the Bay Area.  Who knows who they might bite.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 03:49:39 PM »
They have had to kill two Lion's recently in the North end of the State.  Both were rather bold.  One in Yreka, and the other out at Copco Lake.  I guess the one at Copco came into a yard repeatedly.  Killing a house cat on one trip.  The Lion returned after being shot a on two occasions.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 03:36:45 PM »
When humans are no longer "dangerous" they become "dinner".

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 11:17:48 AM »
Ever since that first lion was killed they have darted two others and three more have been spotted.  Two of them were first reported to have possibly been Bob Cats.  Turned out they were Mountain Lions from the size of their tracks, unless of course they are the world’s largest Bob Cats.  I've got a female and her cubs living on my place(I know where her den is) and we(my daughter, son and I) have seen a big Tom running around too.  My little sister has lost three dogs and a number of cats to a lion(s) as have many of her neighbors.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 01:18:11 PM »
I am having problems understanding the residents of Oakland, California.  They got a nice Zoo there but they are bitching about animals BREAKING INTO the Zoo and not out.  They had a big male(Tom) Mountain Lion jump over an 8 foot cyclone fence to get at some exotic deer that are confined in a 5 or so acre enclosure.  Clawed up two of the deer but after surgery they will recover just fine.  Ever since then the attendance has dropped off at the Oakland Zoo.  What is the matter with those animal rights idiots down in the Bay Area, don’t they believe in feeding the wildlife along with the Zoo animals?  I mean these Lions will eat a bunny hugger just as quick as exotic deer.  Most zoos would have to pay big money for a Mountain Lion to put on exhibit and Oakland has them breaking into their zoo.  Lawdog
 :roll:

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 04:16:12 AM »
I remember that when they tried to repeal the law, the huggers played a film on T V commercials that showed someone shooting a lion out of a tree with a pistol.  The wounded lion fell from the tree, into a creek and thrashed around screaming.  That commercial did a lot of damage.  As did the lousy shooting of the hunter using the pistol.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.