Author Topic: Leupold LPS scopes?  (Read 613 times)

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold LPS scopes?
« on: May 19, 2004, 01:58:27 AM »
Does anyone own or use a Leupold LPS scope.  Feedback, positives, negatives?

How do they stack up against most of the European scopes?  Is the 30mm both glass and tube, or is it a 1 inch scope in a 30 mm tube?

Thanks,
JCM

Offline big6x6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Leupold LPS scopes?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 02:16:10 AM »
I've CONSIDERED them, but in reality I have only SEEN one in actual use.  I think they're priced a tad too high.  

I'm thinking that those spending that much cash on a scope are buying similar priced Kahles, Swarovski A-Line, or Docter instead.  Or perhaps they're kicking in a little extra and getting a Swarovski Pro Hunter, Zeiss VMV, or a Schmidt and Bender.

I'm just not seeing that many of them.  ALSO, consider that there are only two models.  Not much of a choice.

The LPS IS a 30mm tube.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Leupold LPS scopes?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 03:13:53 AM »
If I am not mistaken, I think that he is asking if the glass is 1" with a 30mm tube.  Not 100% positive, but I believe that all Leupold 30mm tubes use 1" glass.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

Leupold LPS scopes?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 04:42:53 AM »
In comparing the new Leupold VXIII to the LPS, the LPS has 99% light transmission, whereas the new VXIII has about 98%, yet the price is almost double.

All else being equal, and they essentially are, it's hard to justify double the money for an extra 1% light transmission.

I would seriously look into the new VXIII if it's a leupold that you're really after.

Zachary

Offline JCM

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Leupold LPS scopes?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 05:25:44 AM »
Great info from all.  It is very appreciated.  This is an awesome site.

The main pull that I have towards the LPS over the VXIII is the 2.5-10x45.  I like the 2.5 and the FOV.  I'd also like the 10 in the LPS and the extra exit pupil the 45 gives, but I think I can settle for the 8 (or 7.8) in the VXIII considering the price.

Thanks again to all,

JCM

Offline ercjr2001

Leupold LPS scopes?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 11:41:13 AM »
Leupold LPS does have 30mm internal lenses.
That is what their optics tech told me.
Also when you compare a 30mm tube look at the range of adjustment at 100 yards.
The leupold LPS has 60 moa at 100 yards.
Also I have been told by several people in different circles that the LPS IS THE SAME GLASS LIECA USES WITH THE ADDED BENEFIT OF DIAMOND COAT scratch resistant coating.
Diamond Coat also acts to helps sheet water of the glass quicker the same way that rainguard works.
notice that many top brand Tactical scopes from different manufactures
offer a scratch resistant coating.
LPS has all the great features of the higher priced Euro scopes with the reticle in the correct place. Plus you get scratch resistant technolgy only provided for military applications.
The NIKON GOLD 30mm scope claims to have 30mm internal lenses.
How can that be if it has 80 moa at 100yards?