Author Topic: What traditional broadhead?  (Read 32096 times)

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
What traditional broadhead?
« on: May 19, 2004, 04:21:06 PM »
Explain your view as to why you use this partcular broadhead.  If you change broadheads for different game, explain.  How does the ability or ease of sharpening influence your decision?   :D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Dutch/AL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 04:01:29 AM »
I like Magnus Snuffers because they are easy to sharpen with a small file I have. I can leave the broadhead on the shaft and stroke across two blades at a time, and have the head hair shaving sharp in a very short time. I also like the three blade design over two bladed designs based on bloodtrails I have followed using both. The two blade heads leave a "slit" in the animal which doesn't allow blood to flow as freely as the "hole" the three blade makes.

I also like Magnus because Mike Sohm stands behind his heads with a lifetime guarantee. Hard to beat that in addition to the fact that they work tremendously well. :grin:
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline TheBowhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 01:42:47 AM »
I too like the three blade for ease of sharpening and blood trailing.
But I don't change the Broadhead I stay with same one all the time I like the snuffer 150 grain it has versatility in weight for any animal I have hunted from deer to elk, and holds up well when it impact the bones solidly.
 I am an instinctive shooter  and once I weight all my arrows to with in + or - 5 grains of each other I am set . This way I don't have to adjust my shooting habits either because of the weight changes.
Keeep-em Sharp, Shoot-em Straight
SUPPORT YOUR STATE BOWHUNTING ORGANIZATION BY JOINING
TheBowhunter

Offline Prof. Fuller Bullspit

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 08:14:45 PM »
I like the old Bear Razorheads. I always found them easy to sharpen and I liked the thought of the penetration of a two blade head. Those razor blades were always super sharp and helped open the wound if they didn't shear off.

I just never could get a three blade head as sharp as I wanted them to be.

Offline Plainsman

• Contributor
I prefer the Journeyman!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 05:19:23 PM »
I'm glad somebody is making them again too!  The Journeyman are the best flying broadheads I've ever owned!  Followed with a good solid design and construction.  And capable of getting 'hair popping' sharp!  What more can you ask of a broadhead!?
Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline Hawkeye

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Tradtional broadheads.....
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 04:13:06 AM »
I use mostly Magnus two blade in the 140grn heads and some of my arrows have Zwickey 135grn two blade Eskimos. Both are easy to sharpen, fly true and never fail. I buy a lot of Magnus cause I see Mike that owns the company a lot and one of his vendors at every shoot I go to.
I have not had any problems following blood trails on either of these heads. Matter of fact, I have not ever had a deer I shot go out of sight before falling.  :grin:
I do shoot the Howard Hill original 160grn head on some of my homemade fir shafts and out of my 70lb selfbow. I didn't want to sand the shafts down any more to lighten the spine so I put the 160 grn heads on them to lighten the spine. I have taken one deer with them and they are great also, just a little more trouble to sharpen.  :?
In Oklahoma, I use flint points on my selfbows but most other states do not allow them. I have not had one that I didn't get a complete pass through on deer I took.   :eek:

Mike
You don't quit playing when you get old, you get old when you quit playing!

Offline twodollarpistol

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 09:35:01 AM »
Does anybody still use the original Pearson dead heads? I havent hunted with my traditional gear in several years but I always loved those. Just liked the looks of them and they were very easy to sharpen. Only killed two deer with them but I had no complaints at the time and the deer wernt talking at all. :D
The Lord didnt create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close. :D

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2004, 01:06:52 PM »
I am getting great results with the Steel Force Premium Hellfire's.  So much so that I am switching over from WASP broadheads.  I still make a few of my own coping Howard Hill's design.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 03:31:03 PM »
I like a 2 blade cut on contact head sharpened with a small file the way Howard Hill did. I have some old Bears and some Howard Hills as well as some Grizzly's. I have broken a Howard Hill on a large hog in Texas and my buddy I was with had a failure during the same hunt. I lost confidence in the heads. Also the company was terrible when I called to tell them about the shattered head and to see if they wanted me to send it back to them to check. The failure of the head was catastrophic and I thought they might like to examine the head in case it was a problem that might be more widespread than just our 2 arrowheads. They just pooh-poohed it and essentially said thats life. It could have been serious with a big wounded hog running around and me and my buddy armed with longbows and arrows with heads that failed...The Grizzly's are very strong and work well but the simple heads I really like are Ribteks. I seem to be going backwards and liking simpler and simpler things every year. The Ribteks are easy to sharpen, easy to attach to my homemade wooden arrows, stay sharp for a long time and are VERY strong....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
broadheads
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 07:06:09 PM »
I use the Magnus 125 grain because of the availability to reach Mike should a problem arise. He is a regular poster over on the Leatherwall and he just plain flat won't let someone be dis satisfied with his product. If his broadheads ever fail he'll replace them and he always wants the broadhead that failed back from the customer so that they can study it for future redesign. I've seen someone post on the Leatherwall before asking if a Magnus broadhead should have the tip bend when it strikes a rock. Mike cam right back to the person and told them to send it back to him and he would replace it. I don't know about ya'll but I love doing business with a company that stands behind their product.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 01:16:12 PM »
My sentimental favorite...Ace Original...something about how it looks on my Max Drum arrows...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline ought6

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 05:38:10 PM »
Original Bears and Grizzlys.  Strong, hard to beat.
Psalms 18:34-35 He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. (35) You have also given me the shield of Your salvation, And Your right hand upholds me; And Your gentleness makes me great.

ought6

Offline wijim

• Contributor
yep
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 02:56:12 AM »
i use the same rocky mt traditions 3 blade that i use for compound.  they fly nice and i get good penetration.  at 55# 28" i shot a quartering to whitetail and got pass through all the way through his rear flank at 12 yards.  id say thats dang good penetration so im happy with it.

Offline Karl B. Andersen

• Avid Poster
    • Andersen Forge
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2005, 04:49:12 PM »
Vented Magnus.
Fly like LASERS on my cedar with grey goose helical.
Can't kill what you can't hit.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures -
right next to the mashed potatoes.

Offline JeffG

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 06:10:21 PM »
Just an update, I finally have the proof I needed, and I am switching from Magnus Snuffers to Eclipse 125 gr 2 blade.  :D
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline crash87

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2005, 03:28:29 AM »
I like Zwickey's 2-blade Delta (130gr.). I've used this head along with the Magnus 1 2-blade (135gr.) in my 65# recurve for the last 10 years or so. Not to ruffle the feathers on any Magnus fans, but through personal observations, I feel the Zwickey as fallen the WI Whitetails I've shot with just a little more authority than the Magnus. I wont go into shot placement, numbers of deer taken, etc, etc, but suffice to say there was a deer at the end of the blood trail for both. One trail being just a little shorter than the other. I also was getting used to seeing the deer fall when shot with the Zwickey, (the best blood trail of all)
              This year (the season started today) I've changed to a Fox longbow @56#, and am using 5/16 shafting(2018 alum.) My broadhead selection has dwindled considerably, but am going to try Zwickeys 115gr. Black Diamond 4-blade. I already don't like them because there a PAIN to sharpen. I got 'em and gonna use them, this year only. An order is going out for the 2-blade model.
               One broadhead I just took delivery of that looks promising is the Tusker by Cajun archery, purchased from 3-rivers. An Australian made head that runs from 100gr. to 175gr. I've got the 125's as they are a 5/16 ferrule. You will have to know how to put an edge on them though as they come into the country duller than a Liberal with something to say.
                                    Crash87
As far as Crimanal Liberal politicians are concerned, its to bad they have lost the art of conversation, but unfortunately, not the power of speech.

Offline moose

• Avid Poster
WW heads
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2005, 02:52:16 AM »
i really like the wensel woodsman broadheads.......3 blade..........looks like a snuffer in a way............easy to sharpen.............killed a large doe 2 weeks ago with one :grin:

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2005, 12:50:56 AM »
ribteks is wot i use for my long bow they are very cheep here in australia,i use a razors edge broad head sharpener 3 swipes on each side of the blade and it is razor sharp.
bernie :D
if its feral its in peril

Offline slave

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 09:31:49 AM »
Never lost any thing do to a Magnus head. I can not fix what is not broken!!!
keep your powder dry !!!

Offline GeorgiaDave

• Avid Poster
Re: What traditional broadhead?
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 08:43:08 AM »
Hello from Georgia,

I have taken 5 Whitetail deer with my Bear recurve and have used a Muzzy 3 blade broadhead on them all. These are some rugged tips !! I hand hone them on an Arkansas stone when needed and have taken 2 deer with the same head after a good sharpening. A good friend who also hunts with a recurve has taken numerous deer with the old Howard Hill broadhead but I have experienced some pretty severe planing while practicing with them. I have found the Muzzy 125 gr. heads to hit the same point of impact as field points out to my limit of 30 yards.

We now have such a choice of traditional broadheads that there is bound to be one that shoots well from any bow. Much like choosing a rifle or pistol load, trying several different configurations in several weights is always worth the effort. Good Luck !!

Dave
"Firepower is one carefully placed shot, just make sure that it leaves a big hole."

Offline SingleFan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 10:29:06 AM »
You owe it to yourself to try out the Wensel Woodsman broadhead designed by Gene and Barry Wensel.

I have hunted with a bunch of them, magnus, zwickey, eclipse, bear original - the design of that head, its ease of sharpening and on game performance are very very good with the Woodsman; superior to what I've seen in others.  Anything Steel Force is excellent as well.

When the heart is light the feet are swift.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 05:08:27 PM »
I used Phantom heads to harvest 4 deer the last two seasons but switched to my old Muzzy 3 blade heads that I used in my compound before I came over to the great world of Traditional archery. I got a nice doe Thursday with the 100 grain Muzzy and and got a pass through and the arrow stuck in the ground.
I switched becuase I got better flight and they are also easier for me to resharpen plus the Muzzy's have practice blades.

Offline oldsmokeyjeff

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 12:35:59 PM »
Liked the old bodkin 3 blades but always had a heck of a time getting them sharp.  Gotta agree with MAC11700...I love the old Ace broadhead. Easy to get razor sharp and used to be very reasonable in price.  Also like the Jerry Hill heads...a little better design than the Howard Hill's.  Easier to sharpen and sturdier as well as "springier" for lack of a better word.

Offline BASSKICKER

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 06:46:39 AM »
I prefer the 125gr simmons shark because they're tough and easy to sharpen.I recently won some nugent blades from magnus and I'm warming up to them but they shoot different than the simmons from my kodiak,so i beleive I will set them up for my redwing.

Offline stevev

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 02:54:19 PM »
Magnus snuffer easy to sharpen, fly good and strong.

Offline pab1

• Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 06:29:29 AM »
I like 160 gr STOS broadheads. They are like a Magnus 2-blade on steroids. They are strong, sharpen easily, hold an edge and fly like darts. Their 3:1 ratio allows excellent penetration too.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. "
Thomas Paine

Offline RelicHound

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 10:01:26 PM »
I use magnus stingers{2 blade 125grn} they hold and edge very well,offer a nice wound channel and magnus stands behind their product..customer service is second to none..if you fudge one up send it in and they will replace it free of charge and no questions asked.
for turkey hunting I use 100grain magnus snuffers...reason...I guess I just like them,they have preformed well for me in the past so I stick with em.

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 03:25:10 AM »
My choice depends somewhat on the animal I am hunting.  I am fortunate to have probably at my age a life-time supply of the old 160 grain three blade Snuffers.  I love these heads on heavy arrows for bears--I have blown through three of them and watched them die within 30 or 40 yards of the hit.  One picture I have shows a spot that looks like you drove a pipe through the boiler room on one.  They are awesome for something light-muscled like deer as well.  For larger, thicker skinned animals, I like a fairly heavy cut-on-impact two blade head: I have killed elk with 145 grain Zwickey Deltas on heavy cedar arrows, and a buffalo with a 190 grain Grizzly.  Over fifty plus years, I have tried many different heads: Muzzys of several persuasions, Bear Razorheads, an interesting from Herters long ago, and on and on.  What ever you have the most confidence in and that you can place in the boiler room of the animal you are hunting is the best on for that trip!!   ;)  I will probably ease on into the sunset using my old favorite Snuffers, Zwickeys, and Grizzlies.  Keep 'em sharp, Arch

Offline wormbobskey

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 11:48:03 AM »
I recently received some 4 blade zwickey's that I believe are factory seconds that never made it to the sharpen table. Some appear to be bent a little at the tip and some have excessive soulder on the tips. I took 6 of them and filed the edge down than ran them across my diamond stone. They are shaving sharp and fly like a dream out of my 52lb. kodiak magnum. I installed them on heavy handmade maple arrows and can put them into the heart lung area of my target all day at 25 yards. If I weren't using the zwickey's I'd be using either magnus or wolverines. Worm
OSTA
Lanums Animal Damage Control & Repair
We don't do bugs

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »
I like any heavy solid bladed broadhead, I've hunted with grizzly 160 gr. and had one that took a little bend. I hammer straightened it file sharpend it and it still shot straight. I've also hunted the zwicky's, seems their just as tough an will take an hold a good edge. One thing I've found with cedar arrows with these heavy heads, at least a 5" helical fletching will keep these broadheads where you want them to go, and I would go with even larger fletches like 5 1/2" highback. scout4<><