Author Topic: 45-70 Loads  (Read 1028 times)

Offline rmtaylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
45-70 Loads
« on: May 21, 2004, 02:38:26 AM »
I need some advice. When I am loading for my 45-70 I am getting a slight lump on the side of the brass that is I believe caused by the bullet not being seated exactly straight. I have a Lee Turret and a Hornady lock-n-load and it happens no matter which press I use. Is this normal and if not what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your input.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
45-70 Loads
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 03:05:43 AM »
It's not unusual. The bullet expands sized brass when it's seated, and seldom does it evenly, full circumference. I suppose the seating centers the case in the shellholder. How do they shoot? If the rifle is grouping well I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
45-70 Loads
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 03:36:28 AM »
Mine don't seem to do that.  I use Hornady New Dimension dies though.  The seater has a floating sleeve that centers the bullet over the case mouth before it seats the bullet.  

What kind of dies are you using?
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Leftoverdj

45-70 Loads
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 04:12:35 AM »
Yeah, I get that, too. It seems to be caused by the die oversizing the brass. When the brass is expanded back out by the expander, the bullet. or both, it expands unevenly and creates a bulge. The bulge is much more apparent when using oversized cast bullets.

First thing to try is backing your dies out and only partially resizing. The .45-70 case has enough taper so that you should be able to find a degree of resizing that only reduces the case mouth to .002-.003"  smaller than bullet diameter. That will give enough neck tension and eliminate the bulge.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
45-70 Loads
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 04:41:31 AM »
A few things can help eliminate or reduce this... I use Hornady's 1 shot lube and spray the insides of the case mouths when lubricating...this helps ease the bullets into the case... when using cast bullets...use a Lyman "M" die for ease of seating them...these dies don't overwork the brass as much and do a much better job than any I've used so far.... I too use the Hornady New Dimension dies and also the Lock & Load press...it's a nice set up...when I seat the bullets into the case...I turn the case 180 degrees during the seating process...this ensures the bullet is centered...along with the floating part of the seater die of the Hornady and I haven't bulged a case yet doing that way...and them I use a Lee factory Crimp die to finish off...  

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline JPH45

45-70 Loads
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 11:50:04 AM »
I'm just wonderin' aloud here.....is it possible that the nose punch for the seating die is not a proper fit to the bulet and is allowing the bullet to seat somewhat off center, or canted???? The simple test for that (if you got the tool) is a bullet runout guage.

I see this from time to time in every chambering I load for 45-70 included. Without question, none of my nose punches are correct for the bullet. Being a plinker (albiet picky at times) I've just never thought a whole lot about it.  What I do when seating couple of cast bullets is, "bump" them against the seating die, (push ever so lightly is more like it) rotate the case and bump again, and rotate once more before completing the seating. I did have trouble with the sample of 31141"s that DJ sent wanting to stick on the seating punch and there was a noticable mark on the nose of the bullet just ahead of the bore rider to nose radius. Funney part is that the Hornady 150 SST's I bought, a very pointed with plastic tip design, seat perfectly and with no obvious marking or deformation of the the bullet nose itself. Factory Lee 30-30 dies, and their "O" single stage press. Go figure. If anything I would expect the Hornady bullet to at least be marked, but no spire point bullet I have seated so far shows marks or damage from this die set.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
45-70 Loads
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 03:42:04 PM »
JPH45:

I would almost bet on it...that's why I use the M die and rotate the cases...plus the 1 shot spray lube makes it soooo much easier than rolling them,and the Hornady's floating guide works like a champ.......I had the same problem just using the Lee dies to start out with when loading the cast Performance 405gr. WLNGC for my Marlin...they got somewhat side ways with the nose punch with Lee's and after discussing this with some of the old hands at the old  Marlin that's what I was told to do.....I haven't done it any different since then and haven't lost or bulged a case since ........it's pretty bad when you buldge nickle case like I was doing :oops: in all my years of reloading bottlenecks I thought I had it down pretty pat...I guess even us old dogs learn something new every now and then... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
45-70 Loads
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 02:04:37 AM »
I am using Lee dies. I also use Hornady one shot lube. So far I have been full length resizing all my 45-70's. I neck size 223's and 270's. The bullets that I am using are Hornady 300 gr HP's. I have tried all type's of seating routines. Including a little at a time and turning. So far it has not helped. I guess I need to get a Hornady bullet seating die.

I appreciate all your input.

Richard
NRA Member

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
45-70 Loads
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2004, 10:09:34 AM »
Richard,
  I use the Lee dies, and Lee factory crimp die. I have been loading 405 gr. cast loads in my 45/70, and they show a slight bulge the whole length of the bullet.  When I loaded Hornady 350 gr. jacketed bullets, I don't see the same bulge. It may just be the size, or should I say oversize bullets that show this. Have they shown to have caused a problem with any of your loads?
Don

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
45-70 Loads
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2004, 11:13:53 AM »
So far I have not noticed any problems other than irritation at not making the perfect cartridge. I guess I am just too particular.

Richard
NRA Member