Author Topic: Changing parallax  (Read 633 times)

Offline Squirrelsaurus Rex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Changing parallax
« on: May 21, 2004, 07:41:27 AM »
Some scope makers give you the option of having the parallax setting changed on one of their non-adjustable scopes.  For other brands that don't offer that option, is there a company out there that does this on a custom basis, for any brand of scope?
Squooshy... the other white meat.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Changing parallax
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 08:00:03 AM »
My thoughts are that it might be more cost effective to buy an AO scope than pay the for a modification of an existing scope. You might check with these folks. http://www.abousainc.com/OtherOptics.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

• Avid Poster
Changing parallax
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 09:35:44 AM »
The problem with that is that to get a parallax adjustable model, that usually means high power as well, and I don't want high magnification.  The adjustable ones that are available with low magnification don't have the optical quality I'm looking for.  If it'll get me what I want, I don't mind paying a few extra dollars to have it done.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Changing parallax
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 11:05:11 AM »
If you're looking for a replacement scope for your bushnell sportsman, the simmons 1022T is a fine scope if you're looking for a good rimfire scope. It has an AO and is recommended very highly by those at RFC. Natchez has it on sale this month for $105.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN899621

BTW, there are no squirrels on the west side that you can legally hunt, but if you go east of the big white salmon river, you can get into some real nice california ground squirrel populations, although I don't know how good they are to eat, you can sure find a lot to shoot. Make sure you don't shoot any of the golden mantled, western gray, red or douglas squirrels though, they are protected also. The western gray lives on the east side also so you can't use location as an indicator of species. Shoot straight.  Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
Changing parallax
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 07:09:06 PM »
Just curious, are you having a problem with parallax or do you just want a scope set for a shorter parallax distance?  I have regular rifle scopes on all my guns including my 22's and I have tried and tried and cannot ever notice any parallax.  I am not trying to say that it is not a problem, and maybe I am just lucky and have never had a scope that needed adjustment but I have never had a problem with it.

• Avid Poster
Changing parallax
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 10:45:40 PM »
quickdtoo,
Thanks.  I'll look into those options.

Bullseye,
I want to buy a scope with a 100 or 150 yard parallax setting and have it changed to shorter range for use on a .22 for hunting squirrels.

Offline redawg

• Avid Poster
Changing parallax
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 11:24:40 AM »
Hello Squirrlsaurus Rex!
A friend of mine buys Leupolds and sends them back to Leupold to have the scope's parallax corrected @ 60 yards for his rimfire rifles.  I'm not sure if they charge him to do this though.  
Hope this helps!