Author Topic: Single shots for repeaters!  (Read 871 times)

Offline sd550

• Trade Count: (0)
Single shots for repeaters!
« on: May 22, 2004, 12:10:37 PM »
Thought about selling off the repeaters and replacing them with a couple single shots,(NEF Pardner Turkey & H&R Topper Deluxe Classic). Had  two Win. 37's when I was younger and kept the freezer filled every  hunting season. Just wondering if anybody else has done this or uses a single shot shotgun exclusively. :?  

sd550

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 12:38:54 PM »
I've got a couple 870s one for dove and one for waterfowl but the singles will be used for deer ans smal game. I can't see carrying any thing else for deer unless you are somewhere where you have dangerous animals then more than one shot is important. In Delaware and Maryland I don't see the need for carrying the extra wieght. Back in the days when hunting was how poor folks fed their families single shot shotguns were the most common gun. They are the guns that really won the west.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 01:52:15 AM »
i for one have given up most of my repeaters, i gave up on my 7400 when i found how great my 30-06 nef was, and that was only a start. i have droppped my 870 wingmaster slug gun, after getting my tracker1 smoothie.   and i finally got one :grin:  :grin:  :grin: i gave up on pumps for small game along time ago, and hunt all my small game with H&Rs/NEFs now. and yes my varmint gun is a 243 H&R. it will also be a 22-250 as soon as they release them :(  :(  :(  :(  if they ever do................ but back the the post, i do have and love my remington sp10 10ga duck gun, and i would not give that up any single shot, but any of the waterfowl hunters out there can tell you how much you need follow up shots for ducks/goose. i do still have a couple handguns around, and a stevens 20ga double. but yes my H&Rs and NEFs are taking over the "closet". but all in all you can hunt with what you like, i spent many years hunting deer with "BIG BAD" repeaters, and i find it alot more fun, and i love the challenge of hunting with a single shot. i also plan on taking a black bear this fall with yes an NEF, now i am caught between my 30-06, and my tracker1 12ga, but either one i choose, will be kept company by my GP100 357mag on my side. i know either one of the NEFs will kill the bear, but i feel better knowing i have close fast follow up shots :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  wow i got really long winded, sorry about that, but your not alone in going to single shots, i think you will find there are plenty of people out there at just love the challenge, and the fun of these single shots.
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline 044

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 03:38:02 AM »
The only thing I use an auto or O/U for is sporting clays.All my deer, turkey and grouse hunting is with a single.It took awhile to get used to pulling back a hammer instead pushing off the safe of a Remington,but now i can get off a shot ALMOST as fast(especially when grouse hunting)

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 11:55:33 AM »
I hunt exclusively with a 20 ga. Pardner. I have other guns for target shooting, plinking and such, but I decided to try to take all the game I hunt with this one gun just as a sort of challenge. My Grandson uses a Handi 243 for deer. He also has a 223, 22 and 20 ga. for his other hunting, all single shots. I think it is important to teach a youngster to count on that first shot to bring home the game. He can always use something else when he is old enough to buy his own guns :lol:
 As for me, I bow hunt a lot and have learned to get close enough to make a good shot. I use this same principle when gun hunting. Besides, where I do most of my hunting 50 yards is about the norm and the 20 ga. slug does just fine. Of course that short barrel does make for challenging turkey hunting :grin:

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 05:48:08 AM »
95% of my shotgunning is done with a singleshot nef 12 or 20.  The remaining 5% is done by my rem 870 super mag 12 or browning bps 20.  And that 5% is just a token hunt here or there to be sure the repeaters still work....

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 10:16:13 AM »
I have a Rem 870 12GA pump that I have all but retired from action.  When taking to the woods for turkey I take my NEF 10GA Turkey gun and when it comes time for whitetail slug gun action I just pop off that 10GA barrel and mount the 12 GA Ultra Slugger barrel on that same receiver.  That takes care of 75% of my gun hunting.  20% of my deer hunting is done with a H&R Huntsman or a CVA Hunterbolt 50 cal.  5% is covered by my Winchester Model 12 16GA that I use for upland bird hunting.  Of course non of this covers my archery time in the woods so that percentage is not even taken in consideration.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense