Author Topic: Alabama Hunting Rule Changes Send Shockwaves.  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Dutch/AL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Alabama Hunting Rule Changes Send Shockwaves.
« on: May 23, 2004, 07:20:41 AM »
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
Alabama Hunting Rule Changes Send Shockwave
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 10:12:43 AM »
Bad news about the dogs.

Great news about the crossbows.

Scopes on muzzle loaders are great for those of us with eyesight problems, but aren't really of much use for others - kind of like those useless scopes we see on crossbows.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 11:39:56 AM »
Even tho I really hate hunting deer with dogs and do wish the practice would stop (at least in areas where I hunt) I hate to see any form of hunting made illegal. I'd rather the folks just change methods on their own not see it out lawed.

I think the cross bow change is a good one. I for one might now be able to bow hunt again. I can't pull a bow any longer due to shoulder problems but maybe able to use a crossbow OK.

As to the turkey decoys I think this is long over due. Most other states allow them and have for many years. In no way does it make killing a gobbler a slam dunk. I don't really see it having any impact on me personally as I've pretty much given up turkey hunting anyway. It really just doesn't much interest me.

The change to allow scopes on muzzle loaders is one I don't really care that much about one way or another. It does put Bama in line with most other states which allow it already. I don't really mind not having one so much in those few times I hunt with muzzle loader. I went once last year during the new season we had.

I am personally kinda opposed to special seasons for hunting weapon choice. I'd rather see the season and bag limits put in place and let each person decide what they wish to use. Folks who are died in the wool bow hunters can still hunt the way they wish when they wish. Oh sure if during gun season they must wear orange but if in a tree 12' up can take it off as most gun hunters do anyway and most hunt from a treestand.

I am somewhat surprised the changes passed but don't really see that it is gonna help or harm hunting in Bama that much. What they really need to do is to find away to get more folks to shooting more does and fewer spike bucks. I'm NOT a supporter of QDM by any means but I do think it only makes sense to shoot a doe if you want meat not a spike buck if the opporturnity for both is presented. Where I hunt the does out number bucks by as much as 10 to 1 but our doe days are rather limited. And the deer numbers just aren't that high to begin with as the land just doesn't support a lot. I've only taken does the past three years.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 01:22:23 PM »
Nowhere in the law did I see where it said you HAD to use a decoy or you HAD to use a crossbow or you HAD to mount a scope on your muzzle loader all I saw was the option to do so, like G B said most of the other states allow it already, and aparently there was quite a large number of hunters who wanted the changes to begin with. :D    JIM

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 03:48:13 PM »
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 10:52:02 PM »
Change is good most of the time.I,for one,am glad on the legal use of the crossbow.Georgia passed this a few months back.On the scope on muzzle loaders;makes me no difference,I don't use them.But,I bet the older hunters with poor vision will like ie and I'm happy for them.The turk decoys,I really see little help here,like GB said it probably won't help you anyway :lol: .I wonder what ever happened to the propoal for the baiting(feeders)they were talking about a few months ago down here?...........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 04:55:37 AM »
Sportsman 700 Twin

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 03:41:54 AM »
As for the crossbows (which I have shot) are easier to use but have no real advantage over a bow when kill is considered.  I feel that bow hunting requires a discipline that isn’t needed with a crossbow.  Give be an hour with any idiot and I can get them shooting a crossbow.  This just isn’t true with a bow.  Practice and devotion is required for the bow and we bow hunters get a reward for our efforts with an extended season.  Now, we are going to have to compete with all the yahoos that purchased a new crossbow the day before the season.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 04:46:33 AM »
Sportsman 700 Twin

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 08:40:18 AM »
Sportsman 700 Twin

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 04:29:34 AM »
Don’t even get me started on this crap.

What else would you expect from a republican governor?
Simply check the records of EVERY republican governor from this state and you will find the same thing.  Did you also know that in Alabama the MORE land you have the less it is valued for tax purposes?  This means that if you own two acres of land it is valued at 2 or 3 times (per acre) that of a timber company that owns tens of thousands of acres???

Bottom line is money is all that is valued.  Glad to see Bob Riley go.

Sorry to rant but when I see a robbery in progress I start to yell.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."