Author Topic: I believe in the right to carry, but some people just should  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Skipper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • http://www.Skipsoutdoors.com
be prevented from due to stupidity.

Out working today, I was looking for a paticular address.  This paticular area has been re-addressed 3 times in the last 10 years, and many of the people refuse to keep the numbers on their box current.  Maybe it doesn't make any difference to them, but to someone who does my job of inspecting houses, it's a pain in the tail when the box numbers aren't right on a street.  Anyway, I was looking for 477 P Street.  I found a box with 491, then a house with no box and the next had 467 on it's box.  I figured 477 was in the middle.  I pulled in, got my camera and tape measure out and walked to the door.  Well, Smith and Wesson answered the door in the form of a 44 Mag.

It's not like it's late and it's dark out, it was around noon.  Nor was it like I was some scuz in rough clothes or something.  I was wearing my typical business casual kakis and polo shirt.  My truck is adorned with signs telling who I am.  

I've had this happen 3 times in my career, but it always scares the crap out of me.  I know most of you are like I am and have a pistol in the house for protection, but who would pull it out to answer the door in broad daylight in a somewhat crowded neighborhood.

Skipper
There's Fishing and then there's Bass Fishing 
Its kinda like the difference between Sandlot Baseball and Playing on the Team. 
The difference is Practice

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

Offline Dusty Miller

I believe in the right to carry, but some p
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:02:49 PM »
I've answered the door to my house many times with a gun on my person without the visitor knowing I was armed.  Its normally best to have the element of suprise on your side when dealing with a criminal.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 01:21:51 AM »
Home inspector, Hummmm--being a realtor, maybe we should have tha folks disarm an assume the position before we approach. :-D  :oops:
I always have a fear, well maybe a cautious approach to going up to an occupied house too show it. We make appointments with the other realtor and they are susposed to call the owner to let them know the time and date. Often a message is left on the recorder. Can't tell you the number of times those folks doan listen to their messages.
You ring the bell, knock on the door, retrieve the key, unlock the door and there is some woman or dude standing there with a look of surprise on his face.
No good answer to your thought except to say one in our position must always assume that folks are home and not always expecting us and also that to startle one in those circumstances is in the least embarrasing and worse case, well ya know.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 02:39:46 AM »
Skipper... I mean no disrespect with my following post.

First of all... your situation had nothing to do with carrying concealed. Carrying concealed is for carrying a hidden gun in public and has nothing to do with having or using a gun on a person's own property, especially inside their own home. Please let us not confuse the issue?

Someone answers their own door, of their own house, on their own property, with a gun. I'm sorry but I see no problem there. Yes, you were there on business and had no criminal intent BUT the homeowner can't read your mind. The signs on your truck mean nothing assuming the homeowner even bothered to look at your truck. UPS delivers to my door often but even then I don't assume it really is the UPS guy until I see him with package in hand and he speaks to me. Like it or not the world is a much different place than it was back in the 1950's and answering the door with a gun at hand today may be a very wise thing to do depending on where a person lives, what has been happening in their lives lately, their age and degree of physical fitness, and a host of other factors. Taking all that into consideration a guy with a gun at his own front door only means the guy has a reason to answer the door with a gun. It doesn't mean you are a criminal or that he is paranoid nor does it mean he is going to shoot you. It does mean the world is a much different place now a days....... and that is sad.... but it is the reality of life today. I always answer my door with a gun at hand no matter who is at the door, including the police during the bad time when they were visiting me often due to problems with a criminal. They didn't get upset about it.

I would like the world to be a nice place where criminals don't knock on my door. Where I could be a good host and invite strangers in to have coffee while they use the phone or fix my washing maching without keeping a wary eye on them. But what I would like and what the real world is........... are two different things. Sure, 9,999 out of 10,000 people who knock on my door have innocent intentions, but that 1 bad guy isn't going to give me a chance to go get my gun before he does his nastiness... so I'll just have my gun ready for him right at the start. And if those 9,999 people don't like meeting me with gun handy at my own door... they shouldn't be knocking at my door. This is my house, my rules, and in a way..... when someone, including myself, walks onto another person's property they are walking into a seperate country with seperate rules that are valid as long as they are within the framework of the general laws of U. S.. And the law says I can answer my door with gun at hand if I so choose regardless of who is knocking.

However, "within the framework of the general laws of the U. S." is the qualifier..... I can answer the door with a gun at hand but it is illegal to point it (assualt with a deadly weapon) at anyone until a threat is presented. You didn't mention if the guy pointed that .44 mag at you or just showed up at the door with it in a holster or in his hand. If it were pointed at you then you most likely have legal recourse as long as you were engaged in an innocent endeavor and did not act in a threatening manner.

I'm not trying to slam you since I understand it is disconcerting to be confronted with a gun unexpectedly. It is a frightening experience, it is annoying, it even hurts one's pride. However, I'm trying to explain that, as innocent as you were in this instance, a homeowner is well within their rights to answer their door with a gun.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline Skipper

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 02:54:51 AM »
I suspect this guy is protecting some sort of dope.  Likely a meth lab or pot, but don't know that for sure.  The thing is, he could have easily looked out the window to see who I was.  This was a house trailer, and I wasn't even standing on the rickety steps.  Fact is his neighbor was walking his dog in the yard, I assumed it was the guy who lived there, but turned out the be the neighbor.  This guy comes busing out of the house while I was standing there asking his neighbor about the addresses.  Looked at the guy and he was holding the pistol.

His mother that lived nexed door was sitting on her porch, and I'd even spoke to her as I walked over to his door.  I don't possibly see how he could feel threatened unless of course he was protecting something.  

My company's logo somewhat resembles a Kentucky State Police logo.  They are both round, both have the state of KY in the middle.  Sometimes people get me confused for a trooper, although I've never seen a KSP officer in a Diesel F250.  I think if I had been a trooper, the trooper wouldn't have been amused by this dude standing there holding a pistol.

Yes it was his home.  No, I don't like the idea of government regulating who can have a pistol.  Still, people have to use a little common sense.  Once when I was working for the power company mapping lines, I had a guy point a double barrel in my window whan I eased around his barn to check on a utility easement.

Skipper

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 03:32:28 AM »
Skipper? Again I mean no disrespect to you. I honestly do understand how you feel about being confronted with a gun when completely innocent of any criminal intent or actions. Especially when just doing your job.

Please let me say this. Had you come to my door, or onto my property, and noted the gun that I most certainly would have had....... and asked me why I was carrying that gun I would have explained after I'd decided if you were for real. And it wouldn't have been any passionate discourse on the 2nd Amendment (although I fervently believe in the Constitution) but would have been a clear and concise explanation of what the conditions are in my neighborhood and what had happened in my own life with a criminal. Afterwards I'd have invited you to do your job without interference and offered you a cuppa coffee.

Now that doesn't help with the situations you encountered before and I know that. Perhaps those other people didn't explain themselves. Perhaps you didn't ask them to explain. But what I'm trying to say is that without knowing what is going on in their lives it is difficult to judge them as either whackos or protecting illegal drugs. Perhaps the people in the incidents you mentioned were whackos or hiding drugs.... but then, maybe they weren't but just had some very bad experiences that you don't know about and are now prone to being ready to defend themselves first.

I used to go through life dumb and happy. No really terrible things had ever happened to me.......... and then several terrible things happened. I lost my innocence in a hurry and now make sure I'm prepared. I don't go around waving a gun shouting that I'm a bad arse so everyone better stay away.... but I am very aware that things aren't always what they seem and danger can pop up, in fact will pop up, when I least expect it.

Let me ask this....... was the gun the reason you felt threatened? Or was it the demeanor of the guy with the gun? I'm guessing the guy with the gun was acting strangely and the gun being present just added to the perceived danger?

Offline Skipper

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 03:56:14 AM »
If the gun in the pistol deal had been holstered and in his pocket or on his belt, I wouldn't have paid it much attention.  However, considering it was in his hand with his finger on the trigger, I didn't like the idea of it.  

There are ways to pack a gun where people don't get their blood pressure up, that wasn't one of them.  In Kentucky, it's common to run across someone with a firearm, but when a finger is on the trigger, it's a little more than just caution.  Addition to that, when I asked him if he was the guy I was looking for, he got real smart and nasty.  I didn't care for that at all.

You know, these people, paticularly in Knox County, Kentucky are so backwards that it's really pathetic.  Most are 4th or 5th or worse generation SSI/Welfare.  They just don't give a hoot about being upright people.  I realize that it might be easy to get the wrong idea when I'm stopping at every mail box and trying to figure out the addresses, but there's just no other way.  Some places you go, like in town and the nicer neighborhoods, even other counties, people do a relatively good job of placing their address in a visible location in front of their house.  Sometimes on a mail box, sometimes on a post, or in town, on one of the porch posts.  Anyone who does work that requires them to go to peoples houses appreciates that.  I'm a pretty smart guy, but I don't know where all the addresses are by a long shot.  Nobody does.  My territory covers 3 counties.  It's just too big.  When you drive down a road and people still have addresses on their mail box from 10 years ago, it can easily make a person like me have to knock on the wrong door from time to time, and for that I don't expect to have a pistol drawn on me.

Skipper

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 04:11:09 AM »
Excuse me, but why must you think that if you enter on private property you have a right to expect to be welcome?  You are there not in some official capacity required by law, but rather involved in a commercial enterprise for your personal gain.  

It is something that you choose to do for your income, just like any other salesman for home repair, frozen food, religious conversion, political solicitation or other scheme.

Without any idea what the resident was thinking or whatever, he may just be a nut just released from a mental institution with the rest of his family now resting quietly in the freezer out in the barn.

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 04:13:27 AM »
Quote from: williamlayton
Home inspector, Hummmm--being a realtor, maybe we should have tha folks disarm an assume the position before we approach. :-D  :oops:
I always have a fear, well maybe a cautious approach to going up to an occupied house too show it. We make appointments with the other realtor and they are susposed to call the owner to let them know the time and date. Often a message is left on the recorder. Can't tell you the number of times those folks doan listen to their messages.
You ring the bell, knock on the door, retrieve the key, unlock the door and there is some woman or dude standing there with a look of surprise on his face.
No good answer to your thought except to say one in our position must always assume that folks are home and not always expecting us and also that to startle one in those circumstances is in the least embarrasing and worse case, well ya know.
Blessings

There is a lot of wisdom in what you say! My wife is a realtor also; she has told me some real horror stories. What's different is she packs her own gun. Last year she was surprised by another realtor and put her at gun point! As I carry a gun & badge for a living I ALWAYS have a fear also. Once while looking at a house with my wife a realtor came in behind us; I ABSOLUTELY FREAKED!  I had her felony prone; cuffed & stuffed in a milisecond! YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL; NO MATTER WHICH SIDE OF THE DOOR YOU ARE ON!

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 04:19:20 AM »
Once while looking at a house with my wife a realtor came in behind us; I ABSOLUTELY FREAKED! I had her felony prone; cuffed & stuffed in a milisecond! ! YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL; NO MATTER WHICH SIDE OF THE DOOR YOU AR ON!

I think you were lucky you were not arrested, fired, sued and jailed for that!

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 04:36:01 AM »
Quote from: Thomas Krupinski
Once while looking at a house with my wife a realtor came in behind us; I ABSOLUTELY FREAKED! I had her felony prone; cuffed & stuffed in a milisecond! ! YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL; NO MATTER WHICH SIDE OF THE DOOR YOU AR ON!

Several things.

She didn't knock or announce herself. She was shabbily dressed; much like a street person. I followed department procedures. I didn't arrest her, I detained her; after it was sorted out I released her. I'm going to go home alive; Rule #1. YMMV.

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 05:02:08 AM »
I hope you don't mind my answering by inserting my thoughts within your original post? I'll put mine in bold.........

Quote from: Skipper
If the gun in the pistol deal had been holstered and in his pocket or on his belt, I wouldn't have paid it much attention.  However, considering it was in his hand with his finger on the trigger, I didn't like the idea of it.

To my mind, in his hand would be cause for me to be wary but not yet alarmed depending on his demeanor and if the gun stayed pointed at the ground. Now that is just me. However, since he had his finger on the trigger THAT would cause me concern. So now having these facts I can see where your concern is justified. Thanks for the additional info.

There are ways to pack a gun where people don't get their blood pressure up, that wasn't one of them.  In Kentucky, it's common to run across someone with a firearm, but when a finger is on the trigger, it's a little more than just caution.  Addition to that, when I asked him if he was the guy I was looking for, he got real smart and nasty.  I didn't care for that at all.

As I thought, it wasn't just the gun but the guy's attitude and actions that were the real factor in why this represented a dangerous situation. And I'm glad to know that just the sight of a gun doesn't bother you... as it shouldn't bother anyone. Depending on the time of day or night and what is happening around my house or in my life my gun might be in it's holster on my hip or it might be in my hand behind my back when I answer the door. However, when I'm outside in the yard doing yard work, getting the mail, or lounging on the porch that gun is still there holstered on my hip and it isn't concealed either since I'm home and on my own property. To all my neighbor's credit they have accepted the fact that I carry and no one cares. My gun becomes concealed only when I leave home. But I'd like to mention that at no time do I present myself in a threatening or unfriendly manner........ until the manure hits the fan. The guy you are talking about, at least in my opinion, either has no clue about gun handling or was over reacting. A finger on the trigger when no threat is apparent is to my mind excessive or stupid. But just having a gun in hand without acting strange doesn't necessarily mean anything either.... a judgement call depending on the circumstances. And Skipper, I'm not trying to second guess you... I wasn't there so I'm only giving my thoughts on this.

You know, these people, paticularly in Knox County, Kentucky are so backwards that it's really pathetic.  Most are 4th or 5th or worse generation SSI/Welfare.  They just don't give a hoot about being upright people.  I realize that it might be easy to get the wrong idea when I'm stopping at every mail box and trying to figure out the addresses, but there's just no other way.  Some places you go, like in town and the nicer neighborhoods, even other counties, people do a relatively good job of placing their address in a visible location in front of their house.  Sometimes on a mail box, sometimes on a post, or in town, on one of the porch posts.  Anyone who does work that requires them to go to peoples houses appreciates that.  I'm a pretty smart guy, but I don't know where all the addresses are by a long shot.  Nobody does.  My territory covers 3 counties.  It's just too big.  When you drive down a road and people still have addresses on their mail box from 10 years ago, it can easily make a person like me have to knock on the wrong door from time to time, and for that I don't expect to have a pistol drawn on me.

I agree that if people were to clearly mark their house numbers it would make it easier to locate addresses. However, it isn't the responsibility of a homeowner to make it easy for others to find his house. It is the responsibility of those who want to find the house to actually find it by what ever means are legal. Yes, that makes your job more difficult and annoying but it is their house after all and that house is there for the convience of the home owner, not the convience of business people or even for the convience of police or fire dept. personel. People have the right to NOT be easily found too.

I'm beginning to wonder though why you referred to the people of Knox County Kentucky as "backwards"? Don't poor people, regardless of where they live or how they get the money to pay their bills, have the same rights as the people who have enough money to live in "nicer neighborhoods"? No, I don't live in Kentucky.

Skipper
[/b]

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 05:21:52 AM »
Quote from: dawei
Quote from: Thomas Krupinski

Several things.

She didn't knock or announce herself. She was shabbily dressed; much like a street person. I followed department procedures. I didn't arrest her, I detained her; after it was sorted out I released her. I'm going to go home alive; Rule #1. YMMV.

Assuming from your post the realtor you cuffed & stuffed didn't present a weapon nor present a threatening demeanor other than being shabbily dressed and walking up behind you unannounced? May I ask what the repercussions would have been had I, an ordinary citizen, reacted to this situation in the same way that you did?

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 05:36:03 AM »
As a law enforcement officer you are held to a higher standard and if you commit an assault on a citizen under the color of law because you carry a badge, you are still engaged in criminal behavior.  Are you also using your offical capacity to help your wife engage in her business activities?  If so, that reeks of illegality.

I am also concerned with that attitude to restrain someone with force, with no probable cause that an actual crime has been commited, just so you can feel protected.

Recently there was a similar case here locally when a officer from another jurisdiction used his badge to gain entry to a home where he believed his deliquent minor daughter was partying with her friends.  His rational was that the car she was traveling in was parked outside on the street.  Turned out it was the wrong house and his daughter was in another house down the street.   He is in quite a bit of trouble over that incident using his offical capacity for personal benifit, and I suspect a long career is pretty well shot.

Offline Skipper

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 10:00:44 AM »
The sight of guns doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I've had many customers over the years who have shown me their collections, some who have let me shoot theirs a time or two, and many I know that keep them handy.

I've got one customer who was a sniper in Vietnam.  I know up front that he's a little bit different to deal with, and I fully am aware that the minute I turn on to his driveway I'm probably being watched, and probably through a scope.  That said, I don't worry about him shooting me.  I know he's got enough sense to know what he's shooting at, still, I wouldn't take off to his barn to get a picture without checking in with him first.  He once gave me a tour of his collection even showing me his Remmington 700 sniper rig.  Didn't bother me in the slightest.  

I know when I'm in danger and when I'm not at least I think I do.  To me, the guy holding his gun with trigger finger in postion was danger.  Back years ago, I worked for a utility company and did a line mapping project for them.  We mapped all the poles in Harlan and Bell County, KY.  It was a common thing for people to meet up with us with guns on them.  We'd have to walk or drive right aways that crossed multiple property lines, and sometimes, we'd just be in the wrong place.  We found about 5 or 6 patches of pot every week.  When we'd start working a right of way, we sometimes followed it from one road across country to another.  I always wore company uniforms as did the guy I worked with from Bell South who was doing their end of the joint project.  We had a few guns pulled on us then.  I recall once we were sitting in a Bell South car, checking our maps for agreement on a line that ran behind a barn and up the mountain to a strip job.  I looked over to find a double barrel stuck in the window on my side.  I realize we were close to the guys barn, and I could make out the cases of beer stacked in it.  But, the fact that we had lines running through there gave us permission to go there for maintenance or in our case inspection.  We were told in no uncertain terms that we couldn't inspect that paticular line.  Two hours later, that man's beer got warm and he had a hard time using his phone to call in the power outage.

It just looks to me as if people could a little more easily decifer the difference between a crook and someone with a job to do.  You know a guy that pulls up in a vehicle adorned with a well known company logo, probably is just there doing whatever it is he does.  I don't think Bell South, Kentucky Utilities or in my case now Farm Bureau are unknown entities.

Skipper

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2004, 10:34:06 AM »
So you remember the Friday Night Massacre when Richard Nixon fired a bunch of people to try and keep his job?  That night a bunch of reporters went to the home of the Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court, and he answered the door with a revolver in his hand!  Maybe if HE needed a gun in his hand at his door in the middle of the night then the rest of us need one in the middle of the day!  Having said that, what this guy did would've gotten him in trouble here in the People's Republic of Mexifornia because that's called "brandishing a weapon", even if you do it on your own property.  I still favor keeping the gun out of sight until the possible perp shows his hand, then you have the element of suprise on your side.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2004, 12:12:04 PM »
Skipper,

Did the person know you were coming to inspect the home?  With all the sh*t going on in the world today I make it a practice to let someone know I am coming.  Make an appointment or don’t go.  Even back in the late 1800's it was considered polite to announce ones self before entering or approaching another person camp/home.  If you didn't you would be greeted with a gun at the very least.  At the worse you would end up dead.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2004, 12:22:17 PM »
I believe brandishing is unwise in any situation if you don't have reason to draw in the first place.

It sounds like this guy did some major no-no's right from the start: He came out into the yard, wide-open and armed, finger on the trigger, from what I read. If you're not sure who you're dealing with and you're still inside the house, don't go busting out like the Lone Ranger. Take a covered position and ask them what they want, and don't be shy about how you ask.

The other night my doorbell rang at 1 a.m., and I answered with my .45 holstered behind me. The people had the wrong apt., but from where I was positioned I would have had time to draw, and I also have a PLAN for wherever I am inside if someone enters forcefully. In my case, I had room to move to one side, which would have put me right around the corner; they wouldn't have been able to easily reach me before I unholstered. I was told by a firearms instructor, never answer your door with a gun in your hand; it's bad news no matter who is there. And run outside with a gun in my hand? I don't think so.

Bottom line is, at least the way I was taught, you don't unholster a weapon until a fight is imminent -- Condition Red, according to Mr. Cooper. If you don't feel you can draw fast enough, then practice until you can.

Just my $.02
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline Skipper

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2004, 12:22:33 PM »
No it was a wrong address.  The guy who I was going to knew I was coming, but the ding dong who called me gave me an old RR box 497 address which is no longer valid.  The house I stopped at was 497 via 911 address system.  Just an honest mistake.

To be honest, most of the time people have called me to come to their place.  I Very rarely make specific time appointments, I will say something like, I'll be there Thursday afternoon or Friday Morning after 10.  One other part of my job is re-inspections of existing business which we are required to do every 3 years.  These are supposed to be by surprise for a lot of reasons.  For one thing, we look for hazards that may be present.  For example a guy moves in a nasty pit bull dog.  We don't want to give him time to move his dog to a neighbors house for a few hours while I'm there.  Kinda like the health department inspecting a restrant.  We want to see it in "Normal operating condition."  Of course most people who are clients of mine know me pretty well, and it has rarely if ever been a problem.  I did have one guy ask me once, "What if I'd been nekkid in my hot tub?"  I laughed real big and said, "I wouldn't have hung around to see that."  Since then, I do call him with about 20 minutes warning and tell him to get his darn shorts on.  :-D

Skipper

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2004, 10:35:47 PM »
In these uncertain times when criminals do vicious things for no apparent reason other than to intimidate their victim(s), I’ve begun to answer the door, day or night, with a pistol in my hand and my hand slightly behind my back if I don’t recognize the person(s) ringing my doorbell as I look out the door’s window BEFORE I unlock and open the door.

I don’t wave the gun AT the person standing on my front porch, but I have the gun ready for action in case “action” is necessary and needed.

To me, “showing” the gun is a really dumb thing to do because, if the visitor IS a criminal intent on doing you harm, you’ve fore-warned him./her that you have the means to resist and have, therefore, given the criminal an advantage with that knowledge.  It would be FAR better to ANTICIPATE what initial actions the criminal might make as they initiate their criminal activity and, thus, “surprise” the criminal by putting YOUR gun (aka “getting the drop”) on them once they give the slightest indication of their intent to do wrong.

This doesn’t give one “license” to aim guns at people ringing their doorbell, especially since one of the first “laws” of safe gun handling is that one should NOT aim a firearm at anything they don’t intend to shoot!

I’ve answered my door literally hundreds of times over the years and not one of those folks ringing my doorbell ever KNEW I had a gun in the hand because the gun (usually one of my 1911A1’s .45 ACP) was out of their sight slightly behind my back.  You can even appear to have your gun-hand merely resting on the rear part of your hip with the gun hidden by your body if you turn your body slightly away from rather than squarely “facing” the person at the door.

Simply because a woman is at the door… or a man and woman are at the door, the presence of a woman doesn’t automatically make it a “safe” encounter.  Yet, often, a man does tend to “relax” a little if a woman IS present on the porch.  BIG MISTAKE!!!  The female of the species can be DEADLY, too!

As Sam Colt use to intone on the barrels of his pistols, “Big or small, no matter what their size.  Call on me and I will equalize”.  Female criminals have learned this lesson well.  If you get shot, it matters little whether a man or a woman pulled the trigger.  Even a 10 year old kid can kill you just as “dead” as an adult!

That said, it would scare the “he**” outta me if someone answered a door I knocked on with their finger on the trigger of a gun I could see… even if that gun wasn’t pointed at me!!!  I’d be more than “a bit concerned” if the person answering the door even “showed” a gun in ANY way.  Yes, I know they have that “right”, but I’d still be REAL apprehensive none-the-less!

Frankly, I “know” that, in America, a citizen has the right to answer a door armed… but why NOT keep the gun out-of-sight of the person on the porch so they won’t KNOW you’re armed?!?  That’s the way I prefer to do it… or have it “done” to me.  

Strength & Honor…

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2004, 01:17:09 AM »
Humor added :D  :-D  :oops:
For those not in this business-
We doan make nuff money to dress anyway but shabby--an sum us doan have no taste to begin with anyhow.
serious :roll:  :roll:
I have dealt with people in this line of business for bout 40 year now. Yea 40 year is a good way to speak, round here anyway. To digress, I have seen it all. I have learned to be cautious and respect that where I am is someone elses property. Did not seem to me that Skipper was doing anything less than trying too find the place he was sent too. Seems to me he was being cautious and obsevant of other folks property.
Now if someone came out with a gun in a, obviously threatening manner, I would have reacted as skipper did, an I think he did it pretty well.
That is my fear/caution--You just never know what that other feller is about, do ya.
Very serious-- :evil:
Over reaction to a situation, cuffed and stuffed, is bout as over reacting as walking outside with yer finger on tha trigger.
You would still be working on tha paperwork if it had been me being stuffed an cuffed. I can put up with plenty but that kind of reaction should be handled with more sense than it was by the info in your post. I have to question your need to be wearing a badge, someone is going to have to pay for your lack of judgement. You really need to question yourself about this situation.
I am responding to the situation with the information you gave-and assuming all facts are correct-you were wrong.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2004, 01:27:39 AM »
Quote from: Lawdog
Skipper,

Did the person know you were coming to inspect the home?  With all the sh*t going on in the world today I make it a practice to let someone know I am coming.  Make an appointment or don’t go.  Even back in the late 1800's it was considered polite to announce ones self before entering or approaching another person camp/home.  If you didn't you would be greeted with a gun at the very least.  At the worse you would end up dead.  Lawdog
 :D

Quote from: Lawdog
Make an appointment or don’t go.

Now there is the solution to the whole thing.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2004, 12:37:16 PM »
Quote from: Bikenut
I'm beginning to wonder though why you referred to the people of Knox County Kentucky as "backwards"? Don't poor people, regardless of where they live or how they get the money to pay their bills, have the same rights as the people who have enough money to live in "nicer neighborhoods"? [/b]

Dali Llama say he wonder same thing... :?  :?  :?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline Skipper

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2004, 01:09:37 PM »
Picture a county where the politicians are "really" just like Boss Hogg and Rosco and the people are a mixture of Forest Gump, Ernest T Bass, and those 2 old women on the Waltons that ran a still except in Knox co, the still puts out Meth and they grow hemp.

You'd just have to visit to get it I guess or maybe read a Kentucky news paper.  There won't be too many weeks go by that Knox County doesn't get plastered all over the news for some kind of stupidity like the deputy jailer getting soused on his way to deliver a prisoner to the state pen, letting the jail bird drive, pulling over cars on I-75 in Lexington and extortinc pay cash here tickets so he and the prisoner could buy more beer.  There's the jailer who ran the 30 bed small town jail and had an average of 2 escapes a week for 6 months till the county judge finally closed the jail.  There's the mentality to number a road from the dead end of a holler outward because the dead end side is closer to the county seat.  It's the Kangaroo courthouse they have.  There's just a lot of minuses to that county.

Skipper

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2004, 03:44:17 PM »
Quote from: Skipper
Picture a county where the politicians are "really" just like Boss Hogg and Rosco and the people are a mixture of Forest Gump, Ernest T Bass, and those 2 old women on the Waltons that ran a still except in Knox co, the still puts out Meth and they grow hemp.

You'd just have to visit to get it I guess or maybe read a Kentucky news paper.  There won't be too many weeks go by that Knox County doesn't get plastered all over the news for some kind of stupidity like the deputy jailer getting soused on his way to deliver a prisoner to the state pen, letting the jail bird drive, pulling over cars on I-75 in Lexington and extortinc pay cash here tickets so he and the prisoner could buy more beer.  There's the jailer who ran the 30 bed small town jail and had an average of 2 escapes a week for 6 months till the county judge finally closed the jail.  There's the mentality to number a road from the dead end of a holler outward because the dead end side is closer to the county seat.  It's the Kangaroo courthouse they have.  There's just a lot of minuses to that county.

Skipper
Dali Llama say that totality of above certainly make one wonder why Skipper live and work there... :?  :?  :?

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2004, 03:21:44 AM »
i would have to agree with everyone else. I'm still wondering why just because a person comes to the door with a gun they must be guarding meth or pot. i carry EVERYWHERE i go in and out of the house, but i'm protecting my butt no meth or pot. If someone were snooping around my barn in or out of a truck they would be assuredly met with a shotgun. I'm not backwoods boss hog type live in dallas tx now have lived in country in east tx most of my lie. I totally agree if your on my property you better explain why your there, until i'm convinced why your there i dont trust you no matter who you are. It sounds to me like you have pretty much stereotyped everyone there, and if you you really feel that way about everyone i doubt they would mind if you moved to a smarter town. I especially agree with william layton yes sir if that had of been me on ground the city as well as the cop would still be tied up in a lawsuit as well as criminal court . i dont know of a lawyer that wouldnt be happy to take that case, and even worse to brag about it. That was complete authority out of line. it takes a special bravery to be LEO in my opinion a gun as first option isnt it. dont it make us feel safe to know there is LEO out there like that with guns. All this on a woman, if it had of been a man would he have been shot then questioned. Maybe there could be something to the barney fife deal of one bullet in pocket, it may give time to think before someone gets hurt :wink: They very well could be guarding meth or put but just because someone has a gun to assume they are involved in criminal activity is kinda Sara Brady and Hillary Clinton'ish i would think. For a cop to assume anyone is a street thug because of the way they are dressed is absurd and very unprofessional. I work outside and i work hard everyday about 2yrs ago i went into Rays Sporting goods in Dallas Tx i was dirty because i was working i went in with 2100 dollars in my pocket i asked the man at counter to look at a 900 dollar bushmaster (i was gonna buy it) the man at counter told me they didnt let just anyone fondle their guns if someone cant afford it they dont show it. Imagine the look he give when i counted ot 2100 on counter then told him to stick gun in #@% then i walked out and he lost a customer for life.So i personally never judge someone by clothes. There is alot of good people not in slacks and polo shirts

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2004, 05:19:51 AM »
Quote from: les hemby
It sounds to me like you have pretty much stereotyped everyone there, and if you you really feel that way about everyone i doubt they would mind if you moved to a smarter town.
Dali Llama say he concur, as that be point he attempt to assert in earlier post. :-)

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2004, 08:33:37 AM »
Skipper, your last post reminded me why I continue to live out here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia!!

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2004, 08:46:37 AM »
lord dusty i would hate to go that far with it :eek:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2004, 12:53:07 PM »
Quote from: Dusty Miller
Skipper, your last post reminded me why I continue to live out here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia!!
Why that be, inquire Dali Llama? :?  :?  Dali say he not understand why anyone wish to reside in PRK. :?  :?