Author Topic: I believe in the right to carry, but some people just should  (Read 2826 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
I believe in the right to carry, but some p
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2004, 01:56:11 AM »
Been thinking about Skippers replys. While I try my best, that aint very good sumtimes, not too put folks in an area in a stereotypical type it does seem that birds of a feather flock together doan it.
I'm thinking that is true everywhere. The area where I live has mostly folks what is blue collar, works in refinery's or related industries. Good folks, fer tha most part, and pretty smart. There are other areas where the general population is some what less advantaged. That is to say they, at least on the surface of observation, are less inclined to be social, employed, respectful, ambitious, motivatived, moral, law-abiding. These are areas folks, not generally dispersed amongst tha rest.
I grew up in East Texas and we had areas like Skipper described, county's, if you will. These counties were/are generally controlled by a strong minority and they like the population to be under their control and allow certain types to live there and as long as they obide by the RULES they are pretty free to pratice their lifestyle.
Same all over, aint it.    
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2004, 02:07:43 AM »
Skipper, if it's any consolation, I know exactly what you're talking about!

I can think of nothing that would give me greater pleasure than taking the Dali Llama deer hunting in the hills around Hazard so he could see for himself.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2004, 04:18:39 PM »
Quote from: ButlerFord45
I can think of nothing that would give me greater pleasure than taking the Dali Llama deer hunting in the hills around Hazard so he could see for himself.
Do it be Deliverance-type environs, ask Dali Llama? :?
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2004, 03:48:21 PM »
skipper: it does pay to be very careful; and a bit lucky.  i hope you have nothing but good luck in the future.  

to the want-to-be hardnose cop: if you did in fact do that,shame on you.  karma will get you; it always does.  

to "dali llama"  i do not find your choice of name very respectful when combined with your chopped slang, it reeks of racism.   chopped language is against forum etiquette.

Offline jhm

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 04:45:19 AM »
Skipper :   First I believe the right to carry a gun is every ones  and should stay that way, with that said ,  I can understand how you feel, and after reading some of the replies,  I see alot of others agree that the way he presented himself at the door wasnt the best way, and some of the boistrus replies of how they have handled a woman because of how she was dressed leave me to wonder why we let them carry a gun let alone give them a badge!! :D    JIM  ( And I dress shabbably all the time and can well afford to dress better if I chose ) Just a side note that had to be addressed. :D    JIM

Offline Bikenut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2004, 05:37:21 AM »
I'm going to stick my neck out.........

Quite often we hear of an incident from only one of the people who were involved. The incident that started this thread is an example where we only hear of one side of the equation. That is not to say the side we hear isn't valid but only to say that the other side wasn't heard so we are operating on only half the information.

Now, as to the LEO who cuffed and stuffed a realtor.... again we are hearing only half the story. And I suspect not the entire half since the LEO may have had some other stuff going on that we aren't aware of.... something like a very dangerous criminal on the loose who had sworn to "get" the LEO which would make the LEO more apt to react first and ask questions later.

I'm not saying an underlying reason makes over reacting (and from the sparse info given with the cuffed and stuffed realtor it appears to be a case of over reaction) an acceptable thing to do........ but it would make it more understandable. If there were extenuating circumstances for the LEO I can relate to the apparent over reacting because I experienced some extenuating circumstances in my own life. And I went from a person who didn't expect violence from anyone to expecting possible violence from every stranger I met or was in close proximity to. That sort of thing changes how a person views everyday happenings dramaticly.

I'm not defending the LEO's actions but I'm not going to crucify him because of them either. For all I know it was a case of simply not taking a chance the realtor wasn't a realtor but someone hired by a current problem criminal to do the LEO harm........... or it may have been purely a case of over reacting with no underlying circumstances.... or it may have been a combination of both. So, although I'll ask questions concerning this case, I'll reserve my opinion until... or if... I get more facts.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2004, 03:39:49 PM »
Quote from: myronman3
to "dali llama"  i do not find your choice of name very respectful when combined with your chopped slang, it reeks of racism.   chopped language is against forum etiquette.
Dali Llama say he suggest gas mask purchase for myronman3.  Dali say he also not aware that myronman3 be member of Grammar Police. :D

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2004, 06:17:54 AM »
Skipper, with all due respect, if that picture is of you, you look mean.  I would answer the door with a gun, not brandished, but you better knock and stand back from the door, with both hands folded in front of you.  Lanowners/homeowners don't like inspectors, assessors or utility workers just walking in or around their property.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2004, 12:53:50 PM »
Quote from: Nanook 450
Skipper, with all due respect, if that picture is of you, you look mean.  I would answer the door with a gun, not brandished, but you better knock and stand back from the door, with both hands folded in front of you.  Lanowners/homeowners don't like inspectors, assessors or utility workers just walking in or around their property.
Don't cotton to them thar revenuers, eh, ask Dali Llama? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2004, 04:53:31 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Dali Llama say he suggest gas mask purchase for myronman3.  Dali say he also not aware that myronman3 be member of Grammar Police. :D

not trying to step on your toes.  the thing is that we have people of all walks of life coming here and i sure would hate to alienate any members because of short sightedness.   gbo is an outstanding tool for everyone here but more importantly is an outstanding example of the fine people who enjoy our 2nd amendment rights and enjoy outdoor activities.  it sets us in a good light and i would like to see that upheld.    chopped language casts a dumb redneck type light; which isnt what we are really about.

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2004, 06:03:03 AM »

If you would just leave off that stupid "ask dali lamie" I might respond - I have your revenuer hanging, freak.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2004, 05:14:42 AM »

chopped language casts a dumb redneck type light
Dali Llama say he beg to differ.  Dali say that what myronman3 call "chopped language" be more reflective of person unfamiliar with sentence construction and grammatical nuances of non-native tongue than it be reflective of "redneck light."

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2004, 05:17:33 AM »

I have your revenuer hanging, freak.
Dali Llama say he would greatly appreciate if Nanook 450 would refrain from homosexual references and name calling on forum. :(  :(  :(

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2004, 09:38:34 AM »
if you cant see the point then i guess i am wasting my time with you.   i think that instead of trying to incite folks maybe you should try to be a little constructive in your posts.  
  as far as nanook, you went even further than dali.  two wrongs dont make it right.   even if he was asking for it.  

and to skipper:  did that dude point the gun at you?  in most states that is a crime.   something we should all know.   best of luck to you; stay safe.

Offline Nanook 450

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2004, 01:01:56 PM »
I have chosen to ignore dollie - I understand your comment and you will have no further comment from me.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2004, 02:10:46 PM »
if you cant see the point then i guess i am wasting my time with you.   i think that instead of trying to incite folks maybe you should try to be a little constructive in your posts.  

Dali Llama say he suggest myronman3 peruse Dali's constructive contributions in "Misc. Marlin Talk, Collectibles, Handguns etc." forum. :-)  :-)  :-)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2004, 02:16:28 PM »
I have chosen to ignore dollie - I understand your comment and you will have no further comment from me.
Dali Llama say that be excellent news, as Dali tire of being maliciously attacked, provoked and libeled by Nanook 450. :D  :D  :D

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2004, 02:58:32 PM »
Skipper, I know that would have been upsetting :shock:  but If you are in a county made up with 4th, 5th or worse generation SSI/welfare, backwards and not upright people. :twisted: ( Sounds like everyday would be survival of the fittest.) would it be safe to  answer the door any other way than weapon in hand?If you had ment him harm, who had the better odds?  
When you are worried about your backside it dont matter what the man is driving or what clothes he has on. When he shows up at the door be ready.
I hope your work there is long and fruitful with no more problems but you should now know what to expect. It does not matter if he is protecting himself, family or 40 acres of pot he will do it.
Some have suggested answering the door with a weapon drawn  is illegal. I hope that we are able to retain the sovereignty over what few square feet we call home. If we dont want a man there we should be able to send him down the road. Some ways work better than others but it is your home.
As to the L.E.O. that had the run in with the realtor lady.  Others have spoken and I agree with them.   Think man, think.  
Nanook 450 and Dali llama  if you two were to have a chance meeting I bet you would become good friends.
Briarpatch

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2004, 01:33:08 AM »
Quote from: briarpatch

Nanook 450 and Dali llama  if you two were to have a chance meeting I bet you would become good friends.
Dali Llama say he hope that would be outcome. :grin:

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2004, 12:04:46 PM »
As to the house numbers not being posted, or not current, that I can understand. I'm one of them people that don't put address numbers out in front of my home. Never have and probably never will.

If anyone has business here, they know me and where I live, if they have business here and don't know me, I'm listed in the phone book and, if I belive there business is valid, can give them directions here. I pick up my mail in town at the post office, the UPS driver knows me, the gas delivery man I went to school with, and years ago, I dated the electric co's meter maid. I can't think of anyone else that would have business here that couldn't call first.

Strangers or anyone I don't recognisee right off get met at the door with a gun in my hand, usually behind my back but not always.

I believe that most people are basically good and honest, but some ain't and if I don't know them, I don't like to put temptation in their path.

Greeenriver(I didn't get to be this old and grouchy by being careless)

PS: Anyone can rent, steal,or come up with a uniform from about any business, and a sticker on the door is easy to make up. Showing up in uniform with a company car don't prove anything, call here first.
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline BamBams

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2004, 12:44:01 PM »
Gosh, at least he opened the door.  I'd say you were lucky.  I NEVER open my door to a stranger.  I wait to see if I hear the knob turn, and if it does, you can believe I'm armed by that time.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline patm41

• Avid Poster
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2004, 03:26:51 PM »
I myself have ran in this,, as a service tech for a major Tractor dealer
i am at times on service calls that take me out in the in the country to strange places,, the owners know im comming but the hired hands do not.
more than once i have been meet with a gun even though i was in a company marked truck wearing company marked uniforms... when i knock on a door i usually step back a good way to let them see me..
when they come to the door.. not a good idea to stand up close...

It gives you a uneasy feeling at times cause you never know what to expect..

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2004, 07:28:38 PM »
:cb2: Skipper, it's easy to see why it would upset you. You are trained in the proper use of a firearm and know what to do with one, and what not to do. Naturally, 99% of us who use this forum (probably 100%) would never answer the door with the gun pointed at someone, with their finger on the trigger. If we felt we were in danger, we would have the gun ready, but not open the door. Our sweet little Democratic city is #2 in the nation for violent crime, and if someone knocks on our door at an odd time, you can bet I have a gun in my hand, but it's hidden and not stuck in someone's face—mainly because the door isn't about to be opened unless I know who it is. Anyway, the untrained guy who pointed the gun at you is like someone who bought a car, and is learning to drive on the way home. Heck yeah it's scary. Sure, I'd be upset, too. I'm just glad you're OK.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline mitchshrader

Ladies and Gentlemen..
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2005, 01:55:23 AM »
Humans have a tendency to generalize; exhibit bias, prejudice, and bigotry. These tendencies are 'sloppy thinking' and can lead to massive injustice.

They are 'trained in'  (exaggerated) by cultural/family/job experiences;
and trained out, (modified and minimized) by wide life experience.

A guy who spends a lot of time with criminals KNOWS some of them are decent people that have been misjudged, but DARN FEW.. most of em are lowlifes that get away with a lot more than they're ever held accountable for.

A guy who sees this criminal element through a racial or social filter (mostly exposed to a particular group) .. is probably going to have a low opinion of the WHOLE group,  generalizing from experience.

The worst bias will crumble in the face of significant contrary facts; but not until then. The most warm, fuzzy, treehugging "lefty liberal'' (i really hate the misuse of 'liberal' but it's a common label) can become a (rabid) gun owner after a mugging or carjacking.

Let's be willing to admit we all live very different lives. Urban isn't rural, nomadic isn't 'stable' (as in living all your life in one area).. some of us are over 100 kilos and others barely weigh half that.. some of us are over 60 and others see half that as 'old'..

The reason I LIKE the word ''Liberal" is it has the connotation of tolerance, to me. I'm liberal. I don't care if you're fat or thin, male or female, brown or pink, go to church or go to bars, dance, sing, or collect innocent butterflies and stick pins in them. You can eat algae or animals, wear leather or saran wrap, it's NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

I will donate said attitude (I have extra) to anyone who feels the need.
Shipping & Handling not included. Limited time offer.

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2005, 02:50:14 AM »
Last Christmas in the Dallas area "Home Invasions" went  up, in the "Upper class" areas.  Three guys, masks and guns.  Pistol whip the owner, take whatever  then leave.....Gun sales went up and people answering the door with a gun was not common. I always have gun (on me) when I answer the door....

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2005, 10:03:46 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you but I'm about to put the Dali Llama on my "Ignore" list!! :grin:
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2005, 11:43:29 AM »
:cb2: Auh Dusty, don't get upset with ol' Dali. He's just having fun. Once you pull your pants legs up and wade through the . . . muck . . . he's a pretty smart guy. He just wants to see if he can getcha going.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2005, 12:56:33 AM »
I just do not care for someone who has to get folks going to have fun in their lives. Other than that I just let the man alone, I got better things to do and other rats to kill.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline halfbreed

• Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2005, 05:23:28 AM »
Skipper, I too am a home inspector, I work all of Western Ky. As a usual part of business, I talk with the home owner, before I ever go out on an inspection, get a good description of the house, obviously the address,     ( yes lots of people here try to give directions) go to uncle joes tree, you know, the one uncle joe crashed his truck on and was killed 30 years ago, we cut it down 20 years ago, but you know which one I am talking about, I also do a mapquest of every home I check out as well. And I am packing too. I don't like surprises either.
 And, we are doing the buyer, and seller, and everyone else involved a great service in these home inspections. One of the biggest investments a person will make. Anybody see the movie Money Pit?
 Halfbreed

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2005, 04:21:24 PM »
I used to work third shift and was fast asleep in my Apartment(noon time). when I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. I was the only Apartment that used that set of stairs so I knew thry were coming my way. I got up and heard them jiggling the lock and trying to use a key.. The landloard knocks.. I grabbed my .357 and took cover and waited.. They jiggled the lock for a another few seconds. And I heard them start back down the stairs. I slowly open the door and they were gone.. I went out on the porch (third story) and looked down to see who was leaving.. Two women late twenties. I asked them what they wer doing tryiny to get in my apartment. They said they were  looking for someone.. Gave me some name. I told them they were asking to get shot trying old keys in strangers locks.. They gave me a dirty look and mumbled amongst themself and walked off. I sure I was an ass*&^%$ They were probaly looking for a previous tenant.. I had been there close to a year. What a couple of  idiots. I often anwser the door with my pistol behind me. They never know. I live in a relativly safe area now but you never know.