Author Topic: Which rifle should I choose for my daughter?  (Read 865 times)

Offline BigSky

• Trade Count: (0)
Which rifle should I choose for my daughter?
« on: May 28, 2004, 07:15:21 AM »
This will be the first year my 12 yr old daughter hunts with us and the big question now is what rifle should we get her. We will be hunting antelope, deer, and elk. I can't decide between the 25-06 or the 7mm-08. My local gun dealer loves the 25-06 and recommends it highly. He also said he prefers getting a normal sized rifle(not a youth model) and then cutting an inch off the stock. That way, you would have the same sized stock as the youth model, but a longer barrel. My daughter is a little on the small size, so recoil and rifle weight could factor in when it comes time to pull the trigger.

Any comments or suggestions on these two calibers would be greatly appreciated

Offline shoot'n hogs

Which rifle should I choose for my daughter
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 07:32:50 AM »
I don't think that you would go wrong with the 25-06.  We bought one for my mother and she loves it.  She used to shoot a 243.  Recoil will not be a factor with this rifle.  I agree about buying  a full size.  This way, when she gets older (bigger), you can change out the stock for a full size.  Plus, the full size rifle will have more weight = less recoil than the junior size.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 07:40:00 AM »
I have a Savage model 10fm sierra ultra light chambered in 7mm-08 for my son ( 10 years old). The gun is very light and has a short length of pull. It shoots good and he doesn't mind shooting it. It looks like a youth gun but it is not, but they do have a youth model. I agree with not buying a youth model also. It's like buying a two year old a $100.00 pair of sneakers to grow out of in no time at all. Both the 7mm-08 and .25-06 are excellent rounds for deer and antelope but I don't know about the elk (never hunted them). Good luck to you and your daughter I hope she loves hunting. Remington model 7 or Winchester model 70 are both nice also. Let her pick which one feels best. But here is my vote. I paid $365.00 out the door.                      http://www.savagearms.com/10fm.htm

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 04:38:15 PM »
Remington Model 7 in 7-08. That's what my wife (4' 11") shoots. If needed you can even get it with shorter stock and later buy a full length one if she is too short for it. I just cut the stock on my wife's. She ain't gonna get no taller, only wider.  :-D

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline TennesseeNuc

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 09:01:56 PM »
BigSky,
I'll second the vote for the Rem. model 7 in 7-08.  They are lightweight and well balanced.  It would give her a rifle that she would not "out-grow".

Offline shooterchick

• Hi all. =)
from a shorty
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 07:25:22 AM »
I got a 7mm-08 as my first hunting rifle and have used it for the last 4 years. I have a junior model with a muzzle break. I've shot 4 elk and 6 deer with it. It's a great little gun. I too am small at 5 foot. :-)
   :P shooterchick

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 08:59:18 AM »
welcome shooterchick

Offline BigSky

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 11:51:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input, looks like either one would work, so we'll just have to look at a few models and see which one feels the best.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 02:48:52 PM »
I think you'd like the bullet selection of the 7mm better than the .25 caliber gun which has a maximum bullet weight of 120 gr. if my memory hasen't faded altogether!  The 7mm goes up to 175 gr. and that'd be handy with the elk.  That's my two cents worth.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 02:56:17 PM »
HOWEVER!  You did state that recoil is going to be an issue so pushing that 175 gr. bullet out at 2600+ fps may be a bit for her.  Hey man, get the girl a nice recoil pad!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!