Author Topic: NEF/H&R serial numbers - question about receivers  (Read 1756 times)

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
NEF/H&R serial numbers - question about receivers
« on: May 30, 2004, 09:15:43 PM »
Hi y'all
I recall reading somewhere (possibly here) some months ago about how to tell if a particular receiver was suitable for having a rifle barrel. It had to do with the 2 letter prefix to the serial number.. am I on the right track.

I have seen barrels with SB2 stamped on them, but I am not sure I have seen a receiver (not that I have seen a lot of receivers) :wink:

So bottom line I am wondering how to tell if a receiver that I am interested in is legit for a rifle barrel? I know I can find out from H&R, but I suspect they will not be open Memorial Day, and I'd be pleased to find out as soon as I can.

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline like2shoot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
NEF/H&R serial numbers - question about
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 02:58:10 AM »
:D  Look at the FAQs at the top of the page, it may answer your question.
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
Thanks like2shoot!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 06:36:14 AM »
The info was in the FAQs. I appreciate the heads up!

Cheers
Kerry
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 04:40:58 PM »
I'm still wondering how you tell an SB1 from an SB2.  My .22 Hornet barrel and my .357 Mag barrel are marked SB2 , but the .223 barrel I bought new with an "NT" receiver isn't marked with SB2.  My "NR" receiver had a shotgun barrel on it when I bought it used, but it's also case hardened.  The only difference I can find between the "NT" receiver and the "NR" receiver is one is case hardened and the other isn't.  

How do I find out what the "NR" receiver really is?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 04:52:45 PM »
I don't think any newer high intensity caliber SB2 receivers were color case hardened. Call customer service with the number to be sure what you have....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 05:08:54 PM »
Both the Buffalo Classic and the Target Model rifles are SB-2 receivers and ARE color case hardened.  Some shotgun models (SB-1) might be as well.

Even theugh the barrel is marked SB-2 it has to go by the receiver Serial  #.

I believe my BC receiver was NR, but do not remember now.  A quick call to Customer service will clear it up.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 08:13:27 PM »
I called NEF about my "NR" receiver and they told me it was a SB1 made in Aug '01 and sold at Wal-Mart.  I guess I could still send it in for a .410/45 LC barrel!