Author Topic: Picked up 20 ga Ultra Hunter Deluxe last night  (Read 1001 times)

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Picked up 20 ga Ultra Hunter Deluxe last night
« on: June 04, 2004, 04:16:00 AM »
Picked up 20 ga Ultra Hunter Deluxe last night.  My first H&R shotgun, well almost, the barrel IS rifled.  Next one will be a smooth bore, one has to do these things slowly.  Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5x32 is on the way.

Next, what slugs/sabots work best for this little shooter?

Thanks, Mike.
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline MTNMAN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Picked up 20 ga Ultra Hunter Deluxe last ni
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 05:34:35 AM »
Well Grandpamike, I've had awful good Luck with both the Winchester 2 3/4" BRI's and the 3" Federal Sabots...Good Luck with your Ultra 20...MTNMAN :grin:

Let's see if I got this figured right the Ultra's for deer and the smooth bore will be for everything else.... :)
Patience comes with age & you can't teach common sense

Jeff Gannon who was known to his many friends here as Mtnman passed away the other day. 09-27-05

Offline buckslayer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 09:51:27 AM »
iv got one but is the standard stock. iv got a bushnell 3=9x40 trophy. the win part golds worked best for me, but yall have to try a bunch of slugs to whats for yours. it seems the federal barnesX and the winchester part golds and platnum tips work best in any gun :D
later buckslayer :wink:
I've got to many but never enough!!!! :eek:

Offline 3s3k

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2004, 04:41:49 AM »
:lol:  :lol:

In regards to slugs mine works fine with lightfield exp sabots,have two hunting partners with same identical gun and slugs also works fine
100-125yds .The new remington ultra core-lokts good over 125yds if you can find them,by the way excellent choice for deer!  GL

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 04:58:24 AM »
I don't know about the 20GA sabots because I have a 12GA US...I just wanted to commend you on a fine choice for a scope.  The Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 is what I have on both of my rifled slug guns...Great scope...I usually leave my scope set on 1.75 power for those close in shots...I rarely set it to 4x unless I see a deer at 75-100 yards.  Seems like most shots I have are around 50 yards or less anyway.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline like2shoot

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 05:33:11 PM »
If I'm not mistaken , the ultra slug hunter is the sb2-928 with a laminated stock. Are the slug guns that have the sb2 in their model # rifle receivers? In other words, can these specific slug guns be fitted with a rifle barrel? I know the forend is different on the slug guns so a new one would be needed for rifle barrels. Thanks for any help. Thanks for any info.
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 04:22:31 AM »
The ultra 12 gets the SB2 10 gauge shotgun frame.  The barrel is an untappered 10 gauge barrel with 12 gauge rifled bore cut in it.  This SB2 10 gauge frame can only have 10 gauge barrels fitted to it.

The ultra 20 gets the standard SB1 shotgun frame.  The barrel is untappered and has a 20 gauge rifled bore cut in it.  The SB1 from frame can have other shotgun and huntsman barrels added to it.

Neither of the ultra slug recievers will accept rifle barrels.

Why they didn't call the 10 gauge reciever a SB3 I'll never know.....

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Ambushhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 04:42:52 AM »
I sent my handi receiver in for the 20 Ga ultra slug barrel and a smoothbore 20 Ga mod.  Then I ordered a wood stock and forearm (handi has a syn montecarlo, no good for shotgun).  Refinished the stock in a nice dark ebony stain w/ satin finish.  Looks great, now if I only had time to go test them out!!
NJCSD, ANJRPC, NRA
http://www.njcsd.org/