Author Topic: sounding shots  (Read 863 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
sounding shots
« on: June 04, 2004, 05:34:52 AM »
it seems to me that that stupid people always end up representing a whole group. when i worked at a local hunting /fishing retailer last year there was a group of american hunters in the store i overheard another employee asking if they bagged any game. the response was "no, we fired some sounding shots but that was it" my coworker asked "whats a sounding shot?" " well we heard something in the bush and fired at it but couldn't find anything" my friend told them they where idiots, shook his head and walked away. i've heard more then a few people that their attitude towards american hunters is they'll shoot at anything, whether they can see it or not. i don't believe this and from what i've read here i would feel perfectly safe in the woods with any of you folks but thanks to a few morons a whole group of people has been tarred with the same brush. i don't want this to sound like a rant against americans cause i've sat in a small town diner in saskatchewan and listened to guys at the next table brag about emptying a rifle at a deer 400 yards out,wounding it and being too lazy to track it. anyone else encountered the same issues?
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
sounding shots
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 09:17:23 AM »
Kevin:  regrettably, even I have heard that a few times and seen some of the jerks who think that is a viable hunting approach.  They rarely care for my comments or my responses either, but they are around.  Most often I hear or read that in some editorial comment about hunters in some liberal rag but I will go farther and state that although I have heard of it, seen some who do it, they are by far in the statistically insignificant minority.  Thank Goodness!  

Best approach you can use in a situation like that is see if you can find out where they are hunting and stay the hay out of that area.  Also, if your EnCon people or Game Wardens are about, let them know - they usually take a, ummm, 'severe' approach to dealing with idiots like that.  In some instances, inappropriate or illegal (if it is defined) behavior like that may result in a loss of license to hunt, as well as the loss of the firearm(s) involved and possibly even the vehicle involved.  That certainly is a deterent and the mention of such may cause idiots like that to consider holding their sporting activities in another area.  Mikey.

Offline dakotashooter2

• A Real Regular
sounding shots
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 07:56:14 AM »
I've never understood why anyone with even half a brain would do this. How do you know if you are shooting at a deer, rabbit of fellow hunter. And what are the chances of hitting anything you can't see. If the brush is so thick you can't see your target it is unlikely a bullet can even get through. These guys are probably shooting at each other and don't even realize it. The acts of Dumb and Dumber.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
sounding shots
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 08:18:26 AM »
dakotashooter2 - ya'll hit the nail on the head when you said why anyone with even half a brain would do this.....  They don't have half a brain.  Mikey.

Offline kevin.303

sounding shots
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 07:19:25 AM »
odd... i thought i made a post but it seems to have disappeared. any ways here it is again.

a friend of mine was deer hunting a few years back and spotted what appeared to be a 4 point buck moving through the bush. he placed the cross hairs on the base of the neck but realized that something was very wrong. that deer was walking on 2 legs. some idiot was carrying a dressed animal over his shoulders. he was wearing the required blaze orange but was completely obscured by the deer. my friend went over and told him how close he came to being shot, and the guys response was " you should be more careful where you point that thing kid"

:shock:  the world is full of idiots.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
sounding shots
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 08:38:10 AM »
As a young lad of bout 11, was hunting rabbits with my step-dad. Heard a sound in the brush pile, swung around and pointed the rifle at the brush, picked my arse up off the ground, as my step-dad had back handed me for doing something as stupid as that. Till this day if I start to raise a weapon I still glance to see ifin he's standing next to me.

Gun Runner

Offline Kragman71

• Contributor
sounding shots
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 03:05:47 PM »
Hello,
Along with the Fools who shoot indiscriminately all over the place,are those who ONLY speak about it.
I know of instances where,when in the company of "unfriendly " people,Hunters will tell some wild stories just to impress them.
You may not have said anything degrading,but maybe someone in your party did.
This is common enough that I don't always take seriously talk about"sound shots" or "brush clearing shots".
Frank
Frank

Offline 7magWoodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
sounding shots
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 09:43:04 PM »
I have heard of these "brainless idiots" but thankfully I have never had the misfortune of meeting one....I have been dove hunting and seen people fire up in the sky and just duck my head and close my eyes because the lead in the face dont feel good, but if anyone ever decides to pull some idiotic stunt as to fire thier high-power rifle through the bushes toward me and (hopefully miss) I would...before I say I want to state that I am as non-aggressive as a good beagle hound, but they will need a lesson they should have learned "before" they decided to enter the woods, and would quickly get the butt-stock of my rifle in there teeth...again I don't want to sound violent because I simply am not, but I would expect the same if I did what they did...I also want to say that everyone around here in south-Kentucky would give them a hunting knife instead...I sure hope that type stays way away from my area because I see kids out hunting all the time and if I ever hear of someone hurting one of my little buddies(whom I try to pass on what limited knowledge I do have to) they WILL receive MY hunting knife instead of the buttstock...my  :money:  and my emotions.........
"To me the rifle has always been the most romantic of all weapons, and of all rifles, the one I love the most is the rifle for big game." Jack O'Connor

Offline Greysky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.geocities.com/catman_56/Creative_Crafts.html
sounding shots
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 03:09:02 PM »
Good grief! And I thought I'd heard it all. Where did these knuckleheads learn to use these "sounding shots." Common sense does elude some people doesn't it?

Even in a war zone, I'd think twice before blazing away because I heard a twig snap behind a wall of brush. After all, it could be your buddy answering the call.
If at first you don't succeed, by all means try again. But if this doesn't work, give up, because there is no sense in making a darn fool of yourself.