Author Topic: Weaver Grand Slam 3-9  (Read 536 times)

Offline Buckfever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Weaver Grand Slam 3-9
« on: June 04, 2004, 01:56:56 PM »
This was quite a surprise as to optics quality, focus, and light capture.  Maybe the biggest surprise is the price.  Put this scope on a 6.5+55. nice compact package big view and plenty of eye relief.  When I was a kid quite a few years ago Weaver was a top name and I think they just got back in the game!   Buckfever

Offline Zachary

Weaver Grand Slam 3-9
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 07:48:17 AM »
I'm not a big Weaver fan, but I must admit that the Grand Slam line of scopes is excellent.  My complaint against them is that they have very, very short eye relief - I'm talking 3" at best on some models.  What the heck is that?   Granted, your 6.5x55 isn't a big kicker so shorter eye relief won't be a problem, but generally speaking, I would buy one and mount i on my hevier kicking guns in a second if they had longer eye relief.

Zachary

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
Weaver eye relief
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 11:58:06 AM »
Zachary, the 3-10 seemed the same to me as my 4 yr old vari-x 3.  I don't know much about them but it came up just fine.  I really like the ease of changing the scope focus.  My eyes without glasses need to adjust the focus for distance and it is pretty fast and slick.  Actually the scope didn't look better than the better scopes it just as good or slightly better for $100 bucks less.  Time will tell if it is a reliable scope.  Sure do agree about eye relief and Magnums!    I am having a ball getting the mid-bore together(6.5+55).   With a 300 Win.  Mag.  in the gun cabinet I can get this set up for tree stand and slow pushes 150< shots.  Buckfever

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
Eye relief Weaver Grand Slam
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 07:52:58 AM »
Zachary I took my Weaver Grand Slam and compared it to my 4 yr. old Vari-X 3 and the eye relief is the same.  Now if this is less than the new scopes I don't know.  I know the literature says so but the Vari-X 3 worked just fine in a 300 Win Mag.  The best part is the wood on the T3 stock is Curly Walnut, or Tiger Walnut, based on were you live.  It is beautiful!!  This exceeded my expectations.  Just opened the box and there it was.  The instructions were all in Finnish.  Do think the boys over there may save the good wood for themselves?  The most important part is next how does it shoot.  Thanks for your input on the board.  This is a great way to extend the hunting season.  Buckfever.