Author Topic: 7mm08 Remington 140 Core-lokts for deer  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
7mm08 Remington 140 Core-lokts for deer
« on: June 04, 2004, 05:09:14 PM »
Has anyone used Remington 140 gr factory loads for deer? If so, how did they do? My son (High Brass) bought me a 7600 7-08 and I probably won't be able to get dies and bullets before deer season this year. The Remington factory loads are about the only ammo available around here. Thanks, Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 05:50:32 PM »
well at the store thats the only weight in 7mm08 we sell last 3 years ive got nothing but good things said about them i myself just got a encore barrel in 7mm-08 an with all the other projects i have going on at one time i might not be able to find  the load i am looking for in it witch is i want a shoulder buster round for it , but in the long run if i don't get around to it this year ill be shooting the 140 remingtons in it this fall

dave

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 03:02:32 AM »
I have used both the 140 and the 120 h. p. from remington with good results on the 120 all shots were neck shots, the 120 has been set aside for coyotes since then the 140 is a vary efficient round for deer, but now reload various 139 grainers all about the same as far as accuracy went. :D    JIM

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 08:20:42 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to mounting my scope when it arrives this week. Then I get to play a bit more.  :grin:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline flintlock

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 05:22:29 AM »
Dave....My younger (46yr old) brother uses them in his Model 7...They do fine...no problems....btw...he has had this gun about 15 years....he did try the Remington ballistic tips a few years ago....went back to Core Lokts....Killed two bucks last year in Canada with...one scored 155....the other 166, if I remember right...they were BIG...flintlock

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 05:42:10 AM »
Thanks flintlock. Looks like the Core-Lokt is the bullet to load when I get started reloading for my rifle.
--Albert Einstein

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 04:07:36 AM »
:lol: Of course you should also consider . . . . . Federal Premiums which come with Nosler Partitions in 140.  I doubt you would need them for deer, but they are a commonly sold cartridge around here.  For years I used the Remington coreloks 180 gn out of my Rem 7600 in 30-06.  I switched because it was very common that I did not get exit holes.  Granted the deer never went far, if anywhere, but usually all I found was bullet fragments all over the place.  These deer were shot from 12 yds to 150 yds.  Broadside, quartering towards and quartering away.  Of course when the game animal drops within yds of where it was shot an exit hole is probably an over-rated charactoristic of a bullet.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 04:28:42 AM »
Long, I find it odd you had several instances of the 180gr Core-Lokts failing to give complete penetration. I have never recovered a bullet fired from a 30-06 from 165gr & 180 Core-Lokts, 165gr Sierra boat tail spitzer (Fed Premium load), and a 180gr Rem bronze point. I'm not doubting you, just saying it's odd how one has different results from another. Our deer aren't as bis as the ones you have up there but they aren't small either. Thanks for the info. Dave
--Albert Einstein

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 11:22:26 AM »
Dave,
I don't know your experience with ballistic tip bullets but I can tell you NOT TO USE.  However, I I were ever to try one (again) it would be in a lower velocity like your 7-08.  The BT just will not hold up when the bullet speed gets in the upper 2600+ fps range.

Yes, I've used core locks and work great but my mostly used bullet is the 139 Hornady SPBT (soft point bolt tail).  Another to try is Sierra Game Kings.  I have found that most of my guns will shoot Game Kings very well.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 02:45:56 PM »
Honest, this has been my experience with the Remington corelokts.  And these were not big deer.  Weights ranging from (dressed weight) 110 - 150 lbs.  The problem was especially evident in the closer shots under 50 yds.  These were factory cartridges (I did not reload at the time).  Now I stopped using them probably 6 years ago so maybe they changed something?  But I can only relate my experiences with them.  

On the other hand on 4 kills with Ballistic tips we have had pass thru shots on all.  However the exit holes were way too big on 2 animals using 150 gn out of a 30-06 and a 7mm and these shots were aprox 250 yds.  The other 2 animals were taken with 120 gn Ballistic tips out of a 7m08 at 70 yds and 225 yds.  The exit holes on them were about the size of a silver dollar.

Long

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 02:22:32 AM »
Longwinters,

You aren't the first one to talk about core-lokts not exiting and shedding jackets.  I was in the Marines with a guy that hunted up in Grayling, MI and he told me that he had the same thing happen to him using 180 gr. core-lokts.  This was out of a Remington  M700 that had a muzzle break(don't ask).  I have no idea on why he had that kind of performance out of core -lokts when mine has been just the opposite.   Maybe those UP Michigan deer aren't impressed by Remington core-lokts :) .

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 04:11:42 AM »
Probably due to thick hides from all the mosquitos. :)

Long

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 04:35:42 AM »
Longwinters,

If that was the case, these deer down here in eastern NC would need a 50 cal. BMG to kill them :) .

Offline mountainview

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 06:11:44 PM »
JHM,

I am presently shooting 120 Core-Lokt HP in my 7-08. Could you elaborate on your experiences with that load in the 7-08 on whitetail? I am debating about going to the 140 grain but the 120 grain shoots quite nicely in my Savage and if a 120 HP is more than satisfactory for whitetail I may just stay with it. One question I have with the 120 is how well it would hold up on a shoulder or neck shot?

Thanks.

Offline jhm

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 03:35:48 AM »
Mountainview :  I can only tell you about neck shots with the 120 gr. h p as thats all I was taking, all deel were dead in their tracks never took more than 2 steps after being hit shots were actual 120 to 140 in that area in one of my open pastures being shot from box blinds, had plenty of time to watch the deer b-4 any shots were taken, I would only use them with behind the shoulder shots instead of through the shoulder myself, or use a stronger 120gr. brand bullet as the hp seemed to come apart on a neck shot on one of the deer a large old doe. :D    JIM

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 09:04:23 AM »
You guys are going to love this one. I'm 50 and look it. I stopped at Wally World to buy a box of 7-08 ammo to sight in my new scope. I also bought two six packs on the way out of the store. I got carded for the ammo but not the beer. What's next?  :roll:
     :toast:
--Albert Einstein

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 01:31:16 PM »
Dave,
My experience with the 140 core-lokts in 7mm-08 is limited to a 15" encore pistol barrel but I was impressed with the results.  I've taken 3 deer at ranges from 30-120 yards and all 3 were pass thru's with impressive wound channels.  Two of the 3 dropped in their tracks the other 1 rolled about 35 yards downhill.  I would expect your rifle to gain 100-200 fps over my encore pistol.

Offline hoosierdaddy1

7mm-08
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 01:51:38 PM »
I appreciate all the interesting new gun calibers but am unsure what the hype is over the 7mm-08.  It is basically a necked down .308 right?  It doesn't quite have either the fps, the  ft lbs, or the flat shooting qualities of Jack O'Connor's beloved .270 which you can buy ammo for anywhere.  I must confess that I haven't shot one and am sure they shoot great.  I don't know what it would have to offer over my extremely accurate rem 700 .270.  I guess it is just as we get older we want different toys and this is the latest flavor.  Just curious if anyone could explain the appeal to this otherwise awkward sounding caliber.  Thanks...

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004, 06:06:14 AM »
The .260 and 7-08 duplicate the performance of the 6.5 swede and 7mm Mauser rounds in a short action length case. The velocities you get compare to US ammo only as European ammo is loaded to a higher velocity. The 57mm length case is somewhat long for a short action and is a waste in a long action. The old and the new cartridges are good ones with a great track record. After so many have discovered the ouch factor of magnum cartridges the lower recoiling and efficient cartridges seem to look inviting.
--Albert Einstein