Author Topic: My off handshooting needs improvemnet.....  (Read 859 times)

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
My off handshooting needs improvemnet.....
« on: June 05, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »
Spent the afternoon shooting my 357 Max today, working with the load I used for the postal match. After shooting 40 rounds off the bench, I loaded up 20 more and decided to do some ofhand shooting. Started out banging away at a 6" steel plate, but seemed to be consistantly shooting low. I put up an 8 1/2" x 11" heavy paper stock (not quite card stock weight) with an aimming point on it, stood up and proceeded to shoot a 15 shot group that is 4 1/2", pretty nicely rounded, with the aimming point just below 12 o'clock in the group. (My palm covers most all the group)  Aimming point is 1 1/2" square. The load itself shoots 1 1/2" inches, so that means I am shooting about 3" at 50 yards. Plenty good for a fellow who mostly still hunts (some call it stalk hunting, fancy names for a long slow quite walk in the woods) But there is definately room for improvement. The first half af the shots fired fell low of the aim point, and a few right of it. The last half fairly centered the aim point, making a group about 2 1/2". Since deer season here doesn't open untill November, I have decided that every other week I am going to shoot 20 rounds or so offhand. I don't expect to see a great improvement in my shooting, what I am hoping for is a higher level of consistancy, and to get my first shots into a tighter group. This exercise heled me understand better the shots I made on deer this past season. If I can get to shooting 3" offhand at 50 yards consistantly, I'll be very happy, that is plenty good enough for deer at that range. I haev a 4 power scopr on the rifle, I wonder if shanging to an aimpoint type sight would help me any. That 4 power shows an awful lot of shake, perhaps I just need more practice.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 02:53:58 PM »
Try Pellet rifle.
 A few years back I found that the best way to improve my off-hand shooting was to shoot a good pellet rifle. The ammo is cheap, and the guns are heavy enough to give the right feel. These guns are highly accurate if you test the ammo. You can shoot a hundred rounds without anyone complaining. I also used the pellet rifle to cure a jerking trigger finger I had developed.
 Off-hand shooting is fun and humbling.
                  vance
no x now!

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 03:39:56 PM »
If your seeing a lot of shake in the scope, you might want to try practicing using a sling to help steady your offhand aim. Once you get used to wrapping your arm in it, it can really help.
Don

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 06:09:25 AM »
Bob told me that his cousin, who shoots competition 22 rimfire rifle, said that 10 offhand shots every day does the trick.  More than 10 and you start to get the shakes from getting tired.  I was going to try it but I hate to go out and shoot just 10.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 09:09:04 AM »
Ten shots offhand, is a bit different with these single shots, than with other repeaters. I usually practice snap shots, after all that's where your  shots are most likely to come in when your hunting. A lot of shake will come into play trying to equal bench rest performance from offhand position. Try a target the size of your chosen games vital area. If you can consistanly hit it offhand, then your offhand shooting is up to par. You won't be able to equal bench performance, but that's not what it's about.
Don

Offline GPWEAPON

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 03:52:58 AM »
JP  I would definatly try the red dot the lack of wobbleas seen through a scope will definetly bost your confidence when you take the shot. It seems to be the fastest method to acquire the target considering what the various law and military groups use.

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 03:06:45 AM »
Most likely cause of low shots offhand is failure to follow through. One of the hardest of the basic skills to learn. The airgun helps with that because the pellet is in the barrel so long you really see it go out the bottom when the follow through isn't there. Idea is to watch through the scope (or watch the front sight) while the gun rises in recoil and bring it back on target before you release the trigger or lift your head from the stock.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 01:59:30 PM »
I would also suggest dry firing every evening.  The cause of wobble with offhand is that the muscles are supporting the rifle, not bone on bone.  Dry firing will help to strengthen those muscles.  Also try looking in the mirror at your form.  Your supporting arm should be in a vertical line under the gun when viewed from the muzzle.  If it is canted it is harder to hold the rifle steady.

If you are worried about breaking the firing pin while dry firing, get a snap cap.  A cheap one can be made by decapping and resizing a case, then seating a bullet without adding powder.  Fill the primer pocket with silicon bathtub seal and let it cure.  Voila, instant snap cap.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone