Author Topic: HK USP Compact .40 or Sig Sauer P229  (Read 1477 times)

Offline tonke73

• Trade Count: (0)
HK USP Compact .40 or Sig Sauer P229
« on: June 06, 2004, 11:12:57 AM »
I've narrowed it down to a HK USP Compact .40 in a Variant 1 or Sig Sauer P229 .40. I have no firing experience with either. I've held both pistols and they feel perfect in my hands. Anybody have any opinions?

Offline VSSF

• Avid Poster
I vote HK.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 12:14:15 PM »
I love my USP compact (.40) I've got meprolights on it and it's never jammed or had a fail to fire in the 3 years i've had it now.It carries great and feels like an extention of my arm.

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
I'll second the HK
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 03:39:28 PM »
I had a HK usp compact just like the one above for three years before I moved to alaska, I sold it to my uncle and he still has it.  To date there has been absolutely no failures of any kind with that pistol.  all told probably 3,000 rounds thru it and no failures.  It is very accurate and completely reliable.  I would choose it any day over the sig.  My dad on the other had really likes the sigs so it will probably boil down to personal preference.  I'm a die hard 1911 kind of guy but would feel very comfortable carrying a HK compact.

Offline tonke73

Re: I'll second the HK
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 09:59:40 AM »
I went to the gun store this weekend and looked again at the P229 and USP. They are identical in size. The decocker is much, much smoother on the Sig. The Sig also has replaceable grips where the HK does not.

I just ordered the HK this morning. My transfer agent's FFL is in the mail and I should be getting it soon.

Are there any break in procedures I should follow? Thanks for the past replies.

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 03:29:53 PM »
I found that a hogue slip on finger groove helped the hk fill out my hand better.  It probably wouldn't be a problem with most people but I have very big hands.  I also use the same thing on my sig 228 too.
http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
USP 40 Compact
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 04:21:29 PM »
I am most impressed with the HK USP 40 Compact I've carried for the past 1 1/2 years. Well engineered, easy to maintain, very reliable and accurate. Night sights and Houge(?) slip on grips are nice.

Offline ABaker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2004, 04:09:02 PM »
I bought one of those Hogue grips also. It really made it feel better in my hand. It was only $9.00. The USP is very easy to take apart and clean, only a 15 or 20 minute job. Mine is a .40 and for that short of a barrel it sure is accurate. Get yourself an Uncle Mikes holster and you are set. It is a compact but not one that is too small for your hand like a mini Glock. I have also never had a malfunction. :sniper:
Go out and get yourself a Concealed Weapons License. I did. :wink: :gun4:

Offline Dan Wesson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 06:05:09 PM »
Well I have to tell you I'm Bias on this one.
First I do have a H&K P7M8 and love the HK pistols.
But I have a 1993 SIG Sauer P229 in 40 & 357 and it is everything in a 40S&W pistol that I was looking for when I bought it.
Great accuracy,100% reliability, Great Feel in the hand, Sweet shootin and great lookin pistol.
I have had nightsights and a Lasermax put in my P229 and have had in HardChromed it's a Keeper for sure. the Night Time gun and #1 House Gun
I have never shot a USPC but would love too.
I would also be lookin a the P2000 HK
Good Luck, And either will be a great pistol and be 100%
Damn Germans and thier Great pistols.. :D