Author Topic: Fully Supported 45 Chamber?  (Read 547 times)

Offline papajohn428

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Fully Supported 45 Chamber?
« on: June 06, 2004, 02:33:57 PM »
I'm interested in getting a 45ACP, but it won't be a 1911 pattern gun, because of the exposed-brass-over-the-feedramp issue.  Who makes a moderately-sized 45 that swallows the whole cartridge?  I'm not interested in a Glock, or any of the other Combat Tupperware, only steel guns will be considered.  Has anyone besides Glock chambered the 45GAP yet?  

If you have a gun to nominate, and aren't sure what I mean, pull the barrel, and drop a loaded round in.  If you can see any brass past the extractor groove, it is NOT fully supported.  I loved my 1911A1, until a factory load blew out.  Almost lost an eye, a finger or two, and my kneecaps.  Not going there again!   :shock:

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline oso45-70

Hand gun general discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 03:19:03 PM »
Pappajohn
Tupperware,? You don't seem to have a very high opinion of the glock
or any af the glock look alikes. I'm going to have to put my glocks in another spot in case you ever come to my place. I would hate to open one of my safes and have a glock fall out.

Now to the topic, No i can't think of any right off hand but, you got me to thinking, Sorry about your ordeal with the pistola,,,, betcha a glock wouldent do that to ya, Take care Poppajohn..........Joe.................
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline RadioTech

Fully supported cartridge...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 03:17:20 AM »
You can have your 1911 fitted with an after market barrel that is ramped, that is there is a fully enclosed chamber and the feedramp extends beyond the chamber mouth.
The frame has to be milled to allow the ramp to slip into it when out of battery, but most good gunsmiths can do the work.
Barrels are available from Nowlin, STI, Clark, etc.
Check out Brownells website, they carry nearly all the brands.
Deactivated at member's request.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 11:09:46 AM »
STI pistols are available with ramped barrels from the factory.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 11:38:10 AM »
As a matter of fact most of the 1911s today have ramped bbls, or at least the higher end ones.  The non ramped guns are usually Mil Speced versions.  In reality NO gun has full and total support, but the little thumbnail portion showing on ramped guns is all the support you will ever need.  Just go down to the gun shop and look at what they got for 1911s.  If you see a ramp on the bbl your golden.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline chuckles

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 04:41:26 PM »
I think a great choice would be a SIG P220ST. Very good pistols and I think they meet your requirements. :-)

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 06:52:12 PM »
My vote is for the Ruger. I have a KP90 in .45ACP and the case is fully supported. A lot of Rugers got a bad reputation because they jammed on feeding. Mine did the same thing at first but I found out were it was hanging up at and a drumal tool was all it took, works great now.

Donna
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2004, 09:05:46 AM »
Thanks for the responses, I like the SIG but my experience with the Ruger P-90 was not as good, the grip feels like a 2X4.  Does SIG make a compact?

If I was King, someone would bring back the old Star PD, or design a 45ACP the same size.  It held 6+1, plenty good enough for a carry gun.  I also like the looks of the Kahr (but not the prices!  :eek: ) do they/might they make a 45?

Didn't mean to offend any Glock/Sigma/XD owners, I know they're reliable, but I just can't get past the lack of aesthetic value.  Call me shallow, but I think guns are supposed to be made of steel!  :roll:

PJ the Picky

Offline ironfoot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 06:49:46 PM »
papajohn428
Did you actually get hurt? I have heard that the unfully supported barrel is actually a safety feature. If a cartridge blows, it blows primarily out the bottom of the gun, through the magazine port, instead of blowing up the barrel and sending shrapnel all over. The unfully supported barrel may have saved you from serious injury. Anybody else know if that is correct or not?
Act the way you would like to be, and soon you will be the way you act.

Offline Duffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 10:58:47 PM »
I know it still has a polymer frame but go over and take a look at the new KP345 Ruger. Looks pretty snazzy compared to the P90 which I also own. The 97 feels quite a bit slimmer too but this new model might be better yet.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/News-04-16-2004B.html

Ryan

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 10:22:38 PM »
The basis for my prejudice is a Norinco 45ACP I had with an aftermarket barrel.  The feedramp clearance was normal, but a Remington 185-grain factory load blew out.  When that happened, I got a face full of brass and powder granules, the stocks split in several places, and the mag and remaining ammo was blown out the bottom, into my crotch.  My face was bloodied but my eyes were okay, my hand was blackened and stung like fire, but that was it.  The remaining rounds were scattered into the tall weeds with the mag floorplate, spring and follower, and the mag itself was flared outwards into the mag well and took some serious prying to get it out.  The gun was otherwise fine, and I shot it again the next week, with a new set of Pachmayr grips, which I chose for the steel inserts under the rubber, a darn fine idea!  I'm just really glad I didn't have my support hand under the grip!  I still have the brass casing, which had to be pried out of the barrel, and the missing section is a precise example of the gap between the ramp and the barrel hood.  You can understand my hesitation at the thought of buying another GI 45!

As for an aftermarket barrel that IS supported, why buy a gun just to start replacing parts?  Seems kinda wasteful, and I'm not only frugal, I'm CHEAP!   :wink:

I guess for now I'll stick with my EAA Witness in 40 S&W, I've got around 13,000 rounds thru it without any problems, and I've put ammo thru it that would make a ballistician cringe (by accident, wrong powder!  :eek: ).What I really want is a 10mm carbine, I think that would be a major hoot to play with, and good whitetail/pig medicine up close!

Thanks for all the replies, I may look into the 45GAP if other makers start chambering it in steel guns.

PJ