Author Topic: 66 (Unflattering) Things About Ronald Reagan  (Read 731 times)

Offline Dali Llama

• Trade Count: (0)
66 (Unflattering) Things About Ronald Reagan
« on: June 07, 2004, 07:48:45 AM »
66 (Unflattering) Things About Ronald Reagan

By David Corn, The Nation
June 6, 2004

Editor's Note: This list of "66 Things to Think about When Flying in to Reagan National Airport" appeared in the Nation on March 2, 1998 after the renaming of Washington National Airport after Ronald Reagan. As Corn says, "the piece remains relevant today – particularly as a cheat sheet for those who dare to point out the Reagan presidency was not all that glorious and was more nightmare in America than morning in America."

The firing of the air traffic controllers, winnable nuclear war, recallable nuclear missiles, trees that cause pollution, Elliott Abrams lying to Congress, ketchup as a vegetable, colluding with Guatemalan thugs, pardons for F.B.I. lawbreakers, voodoo economics, budget deficits, toasts to Ferdinand Marcos, public housing cutbacks, redbaiting the nuclear freeze movement, James Watt.

Getting cozy with Argentine fascist generals, tax credits for segregated schools, disinformation campaigns, "homeless by choice," Manuel Noriega, falling wages, the HUD scandal, air raids on Libya, "constructive engagement" with apartheid South Africa, United States Information Agency blacklists of liberal speakers, attacks on OSHA and workplace safety, the invasion of Grenada, assassination manuals, Nancy's astrologer.

Drug tests, lie detector tests, Fawn Hall, female appointees (8 percent), mining harbors, the S&L scandal, 239 dead U.S. troops in Beirut, Al Haig "in control," silence on AIDS, food-stamp reductions, Debategate, White House shredding, Jonas Savimbi, tax cuts for the rich, "mistakes were made."

Michael Deaver's conviction for influence peddling, Lyn Nofziger's conviction for influence peddling, Caspar Weinberger's five-count indictment, Ed Meese ("You don't have many suspects who are innocent of a crime"), Donald Regan (women don't "understand throw-weights"), education cuts, massacres in El Salvador.

"The bombing begins in five minutes," $640 Pentagon toilet seats, African-American judicial appointees (1.9 percent), Reader's Digest, C.I.A.-sponsored car-bombing in Lebanon (more than eighty civilians killed), 200 officials accused of wrongdoing, William Casey, Iran/contra. "Facts are stupid things," three-by-five cards, the MX missile, Bitburg, S.D.I., Robert Bork, naps, Teflon.

David Corn, Washington editor of the Nation, is author of 'The Lies of George W. Bush: Mastering the Politics of Deception.'
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline mag41vance

• A Real Regular
66 (Unflattering) Things About Ronald Reaga
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 08:14:37 AM »
That list reminds me of what a a masterful job he did in returning our country to the respected and feared nation that it was during the Nixon administration. (I liked Him too)

Carter drug the USA down to the pit, and he should be ashamed to show his face in this country. But for some reason he gets a pass as if he's a Gahndi  clone.

Reagan deserves our respect for what he waded through in order to set us up on our feet again.  He took no credit for the turn-a-round but rather made us all understand that we are the ones that will turn things around.
 He made us proud of our country, and we are proud of his legacy.
                         RV
no x now!

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 08:24:52 AM »
Quote from: mag41vance
Carter drug the USA down to the pit, and he should be ashamed to show his face in this country. But for some reason he gets a pass as if he's a Gahndi  clone.

Dali Llama say he never understand that either... :(  :(

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 09:15:52 AM »
Hey, I like ketchup!   :-D   Mikey.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 11:45:16 AM »
Quote from: Mikey
Hey, I like ketchup!   :-D   Mikey.

Me too!  
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 02:18:42 PM »
I like catsup also but I do not buy any Heinz products anymore. As far as the list goes Any President is not going to satisfy everyone as this country is so divided. I am sure any list could be made up about any politician but it is really easy to do against the liberals :)  :)  :) Reagan did a lot of good as far as I am concerned. At least he did not disgrace our Country like some of tyhe Dem Liberals did. Klinton ect.  :roll:
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 02:39:50 PM »
Quote from: jh45gun
Reagan did a lot of good as far as I am concerned. At least he did not disgrace our Country like some of tyhe Dem Liberals did. Klinton ect.  
Dali Llama say he concur with jh45gun on this point. :grin:  :-)

Offline NYH1

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 06:04:52 PM »
I started "kindergarten" two months (Sept. 1980) before President Reagan was elected. He's the first president I knew. I agree with Jim (jh45gun) "you can't please all the people all the time". :toast:
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline NYH1

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 06:09:22 PM »
Hey Jim (jh45gun). Who's the first president you "really remember", Teddy (Roosevelt)? :roll:  :twisted:  :D  :-D
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 01:23:54 AM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
Hey Jim (jh45gun). Who's the first president you "really remember", Teddy (Roosevelt)?
Dali Llama say jh45gun not be quite that ancient!! :-D  :)  :-D

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 02:53:23 AM »
Have you ever seen David Corn on TV? He is a typical mean-spirited liberal.
gino

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 07:33:59 AM »
Quote from: gino
Have you ever seen David Corn on TV? He is a typical mean-spirited liberal.
gino
Dali Llama say no, have not seen Mr. Corn on television, and, from nature of his vicious commentary  :twisted:  regarding honorable Ronald Reagan, do not wish to. :evil:

Offline John Traveler

ketchup
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 08:05:53 AM »
HEY!

What's wrong with you guys??

Ketchup IS a vegetable!!
John Traveler

Offline Dali Llama

Re: ketchup
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 08:25:26 AM »
Quote from: John Traveler
HEY!

What's wrong with you guys??

Ketchup IS a vegetable!!
So be John Kerry, add Dali Llama! :)

Offline NYH1

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 11:26:37 AM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
Hey Jim (jh45gun). Who's the first president you "really remember", Teddy (Roosevelt)?
I know Dali, but you hit'em below the belt every once in a while, ya know! I'm sure I'm gonna get it now, thats ok, I asked for it!!! :-D  :grin:  :)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 12:37:32 PM »
Quote from: Dali Llama
I know Dali, but you hit'em below the belt every once in a while, ya know! I'm sure I'm gonna get it now, thats ok, I asked for it!!! :-D  :grin:  :)
Yes, you did, say Dali Llama! :lol:

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 01:00:02 PM »
:)  :)  All I can say is, if anything is going to happen below my belt it won’t be with you guys!   :)   :)  
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline NYH1

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 03:32:12 PM »
Quote from: Major
:)  :)  All I can say is, if anything is going to happen below my belt it won’t be with you guys!   :)   :)  
See Dali, I got it already and "uncle Jim" hasn't even responded yet!!! :-D  :grin:  :)

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 04:10:54 PM »
Quote from: Major
See Dali, I got it already and "uncle Jim" hasn't even responded yet!!! :-D  :grin:  :)
Dali Llama say yes, Major interject excellent retort! :lol:  :lol:

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 05:03:51 PM »
NYH, I was born in 52 so the first President I remember is Abe  :)  :)  :)  Er I mean 1952 so the first Pres I remember was Ike kinda, I do not remember him doing much did he??????  but Kennedy is the one I remember more due to his untimely death plus I was a bit older than.  Also being raised Catholic and Irish he was it as far as my  Irish mother was concerned. He may have been a Democrate but at least was a True war hero something I just think Kerry is not at least JFK never was a war protester or threw away his medals!!!  I still wonder on how Things would have worked out on the gun issue if JFK and RFK were not assasinated? It was not a big issue when they were still alive only after did Teddy the liberal's Liberal go gang busters on the gun issue. Folks make comments about getting the wrong Kennedy and with his fat head he would not be hard to miss.  :)  :)  :)  I just wish he would retire as we have had enough of his  anti gun and all of his other BS.  I agree with Major also!!!!!!!  :shock:  Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline NYH1

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 05:49:55 PM »
 I agree with Major also!!!!!!!  :shock:  Jim
Ok, maybe it was the wrong choice of words! :gulp:

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2004, 01:15:05 AM »
It was not a big issue when they were still alive only after did Teddy the liberal's Liberal go gang busters on the gun issue. Folks make comments about getting the wrong Kennedy and with his fat head he would not be hard to miss.  :)  :)  :)  I just wish he would retire as we have had enough of his  anti gun and all of his other BS.  
Dali Llama say it before, and he say it again, but he not understand why Teddy not just enjoy his wealth and leave rest of us alone. :twisted:  :x  :evil: