Author Topic: Which Burris scope?  (Read 708 times)

Offline ar15a292f

• Trade Count: (0)
Which Burris scope?
« on: June 10, 2004, 09:37:28 AM »
I am looking at mounting a new Burris scope on my Beretta Mato rifle. The rifle is a 30-06, with the synthetic stock and is to be a general purpose rifle. The scopes that I am looking at are the Burris Signature Select in 3x10x40, the Euro Diamond in 3x10x40 or the Euro Diamond in 2.5x10x44. I am favoring the Signature Select, but do the Euro Diamonds offer anything extra in the way of ruggedness, clarity, resolution or brightness? I am going to mount the scope using Talley bases and rings, and I all ready have 1" Talley rings, so this is a point in favor of the Signature Select. I am a fan of Burris scopes, I have an old 3x9x38 Fullfield and a 3x9x32 Compact. I guess this similar to chosing between the LPS and the VXIII in the Leupold line or the PV series or AV series from Swarovski. What would you chose. I would appreciate any opinions on the matter.

Offline Zachary

Which Burris scope?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 01:55:01 PM »
Is there any particular reason why you are so interested in the Burris?  I own 2 Black Diamonds and I'm not all that impressed with them.

Of all the scopes you mentioned, I would take a serious look at the new Leupold VX-III and, of course, the LPS.  In fact, the new VX-III was voted editor's choice by Outdoor life maganize.

Of course you should certainly consider my personal favorites - the Elite 4200s, which are excellent scopes and in the same league as the scopes mentioned above.

Zachary

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
Which Burris scope?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 03:04:38 AM »
I guess the reason I don't own more Burris scopes is I always like something else BETTER.  Burris' screwy turret foward design has kept me from purchasing several of their scopes.  The Burris scopes I DO have I am generally pleased with, especially the Signature 6-24X44 and FF-II 4.5-14X42, both really good scopes.

In your situation the scope that I'd look at that just jumps out at me is a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10X44 or 3-9X40.  I don't see how you could go wrong with either of those two.  BTW, I DO have a Swarovski A-Line 3-10X42 and the like the Conquest 3.5-10X44 at LEAST as well.

Zachary, I have considered the Black Diamonds several times but have never purchased them.  What is it about them that you DON'T like?
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline Zachary

Which Burris scope?
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 07:56:23 AM »
Big6x6,

Well, I would have to say that it's a combination of a few things.  First, and foremost, the resolution, although good, is not as good as my Elite 4200s, or even Nikon Monarch, or even Zeiss Conquest.  Second, the light transmission is also good, but not as good as the others.  Third, they are just very heavy and bulky (they have 30mm tubes).  Fourth, I'm not to crazy about the knob on the bottom side of the scopes that stick out - even though mine doesn't come with the posi-lock.  Fifth, they just seem to scratch easier than the other scopes I mentioned.  Heck, I have put my other scopes through the ringer and never a scratch, but I do have one on my BDs, and I'm not happy about that.

Zachary

Offline ar15a292f

Which Burris scope?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 08:05:01 AM »
I ordered the Burrris Signature Select in 3x10x40, it should be here on Friday.  I have had good luck with Burris in the past, and I hope the trend continues.  I'll let you know.