Author Topic: ELGIN GATES??  (Read 1441 times)

Offline magnum308

• Trade Count: (0)
ELGIN GATES??
« on: June 11, 2004, 03:27:22 PM »
Hi, I'm from Australia and I got a book many years ago called "Trophy Hunter in Asia" by Elgin Gates. I was facinated by it and this trophy hunter's exploits. I understand he has also authored "Trophy Hunter in Africa" as well. He is (or was) a facinating hunter having collected more game species than anyone else at the time and he is reputed to have opened up unhunted (by western trophy hunters) game fields in Asia and Africa. He was also a (and the youngest at the time) winner of the Weatherby Big Game Award. I hear he had one of the finest trophy rooms in the US (if not the world) and he died in 1988. He sounds like a man of great passion for the sport of trophy hunting and an unusual drive to do what he has done.

I'd like to know more about him, pictures of his trophy room (which I heard was destroyed by fire before he died) and converse with anyone who knew him or about him.

Magnum308
Life's too short to hunt with an ugly rifle

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
ELGIN GATES??
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 04:29:28 AM »
He also has a book on metalic shooting, type his name in your search engine and it will list the books he authored :D    JIM

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
ELGIN GATES??
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 06:03:40 AM »
You will find a lot of mean mouthing about Elgin Gates, some of it darn right cruel.

When I delt with him during the early days of the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Association I found him very friendly and cordial.  Mind you my dealing were mostly via letter and telephone and at the annual International shoot. He was always a gentleman.  

I think there may be a basis for some of the criticism of Mr. Gates in that he was an agressive and sucessfull businessman and others were jealous.

One of the meanest things I ever heard said about him was that he burned his trophy room so no one would find out after his death that they were fake. Ugly stuff.

I'm sure the IHMSA boy will wade in and tell you some tales.