Author Topic: Weaver Grand Slam?  (Read 620 times)

Offline Sevcrist

• Trade Count: (0)
Weaver Grand Slam?
« on: June 12, 2004, 05:32:02 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a Grand Slam 1.5x5 for use as a woods hunting scope on my Model Seven.  I've been reading about the Grand Slams on message boards etc. and they look to be a great scope.  The only drawback for me might be the fit and finish.  A Grand Slam scope reviewer on Midway USA said "After 3 trips to the range, the lettering (6x20), on the power and objective rings has worn off. It is just printed on to the rubber rings. The Weaver decal has fallen off."

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a local dealer who carries Grand Slams so that I can check them out in person.  For those of you who have experience with the Grand Slams, how would you rate the fit and finish?  Have you had any bad experiences with it holding up?

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
3-10 Weaver Grand Slam
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 09:49:45 AM »
I have not shot the gun yet.  The fit and finish is satin black.  Every thing looks fine to me, time will tell if it stays together.  Someone on this board said they had 4 or 5 of them.  The optics are better than my 4 yr. old Vari-X 3.  The quick focus for my older eyes is great.  I really like the scope for quality and for about $100.00 less than what it's quality competes with.  If it doesn't hold up it will all be for naught.  Right now it looks just fine to me.  A friend hunts with a group that has switched from other high buck scopes to Weaver Grand Slam.  They shoot varment up to 2- 338's. No problems and they are the ones who recommended the scope to me.  They log alot of miles on hunting trips with Elk, and deer.   Buckfever.

Offline akpls

• Contributor
Weaver Grand Slam?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 06:15:48 AM »
I have the 1.5-5 on a Marlin 1895M.  It's been frozen, drenched and dropped and still works flawlessly.  It's survived several Alaska moose and bear seasons and frequent range sessions without a problem.  The Weaver logo did fall off at one point, but I just stuck it back on with a dab of silicone adhesive.