Author Topic: Where is Haywire ???  (Read 895 times)

Offline Deadeye47

• Trade Count: (0)
Where is Haywire ???
« on: June 12, 2004, 05:23:25 PM »
He's been keeping a low profile for a while now....What are you up to...inquiring nosey minds want to know! Off blastin those pesky frozen chickens again I presume... :roll:
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Haywire
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 06:41:11 PM »
Haywire had a post June 6 Must took a trip!! :-D   :-D  :-D  :-D
Marv.

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 02:59:10 AM »
I B Lurkin.  I've not been doing much shooting in the last month or so.  I bought the classic $300 beater truck last week to abuse with unreasonable loads of wood/coal/gravel/mulch and it needs a little TLC before the abuse begins, so that's what I've been doing mostly.  Anyone got a set of exhaust manifolds or a non-chrome set of valve covers for a 351 Winsor they are willing to part with? :jeep: :mrgreen:

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Deadeye47

Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 04:15:43 AM »
Quote from: Haywire Haywood
I B Lurkin.  I've not been doing much shooting in the last month or so.  I bought the classic $300 beater truck last week to abuse with unreasonable loads of wood/coal/gravel/mulch and it needs a little TLC before the abuse begins, so that's what I've been doing mostly.  Anyone got a set of exhaust manifolds or a non-chrome set of valve covers for a 351 Winsor they are willing to part with? :jeep: :mrgreen:

Ian
    :shock:  351!! And gas is 2 bucks a gallon!! :eek:  Hope ya don't have to haul too far...you could surpass the cost of the truck quickly!! :)  Well... at least it's not a 4 banger with it's tongue hanging out and yours WILL haul something!  Carry on! :D .....manafolds for a 300 dollar truck??/Forget them ...run it with out um.....ya just gotta invest in some expensive wheels and tires for that thang to be right though.. :roll: ..
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 06:42:03 AM »
Haywire, I ran a Windsor in my hot rod for a short period (Waaaaay back in the day).  I'll check and see if any of that stuff is still out at the farm.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Haywire Haywood

Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 07:17:29 AM »
Quote from: Wlscott
Haywire, I ran a Windsor in my hot rod for a short period (Waaaaay back in the day).  I'll check and see if any of that stuff is still out at the farm.

I was just kidding, hehe, but if you got'em for a reasonable price I'll do ya out of them.  It's an '85 F-150.  It's got headers on it now and Badnews Bob said that they're leakin and that I'm not likely to stop'em from doin so.  It's got chrome valve covers that leak, he says they're famous for that and I need the plain stock ones to fix it.  He's got a couple 31" tires and another bud is donating 2 more to the cause.  Bob's rebuilding the carb this weekend (2 barrel Holley).  I yanked the questionable A/C out of it and routed the tranny fluid thru the condenser coil for an aux cooler.   It's got a little radiator someone stuck in there.  That'll have to go too... A guy at work said he might have a biggun more up the task laying around that I can have.  We'll see.   Bob's also donating a set of 3/4 ton springs for it.  Those little half tonners gotta go.
It's good to have friends... ya know whut I mean?

Ian

usually...

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 04:34:09 AM »
Haywire, pop must have sold all of the 351 stuff when my grand dad died a couple of years ago.

I do have a Holly 4 barrel carb sitting in the garage though.  You don't actually want to put a little bitty old two barrel on it do you?

Offline Haywire Haywood

Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 05:36:26 AM »
I think I'm gonna stick with the 2 barrel.  It's already there and has all new gaskets now.  I'm trying to keep the truck cheap.  Anything that works will probably end up staying unless replacements are really cheap.  Heck, the ignition switch is broken out of it and I have to start it with a screwdriver.  The new column costs $50.  I think the screwdriver start is gonna stay  :) .  
Bob did say that considering how I drive that I'd get better gas mileage with a 4 barrel over the 2.

Thanks for lookin,
Ian

usually...

Offline Deadeye47

Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 06:15:09 AM »
Sounds like ya got yourself a jewel there heywire!  Screwdriver start Makes it a classic...it does have a stearing wheel don't it?? Ya don't have to use a pair of vicegrips on the stub do ya???  8)

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 06:46:07 AM »
it does have a stearing wheel don't it?? Ya don't have to use a pair of vicegrips on the stub do ya???

Oh man!! Vice grips steering wheel would really make it a classic :)   The only thing missing then would be a set of milk crate seats :eek:

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 09:21:41 AM »
On the headers try some Permitex "ultra copper" gasket sealer.  It's good for high temps headers.  Pull the headers loose (maybe easier said than done...) and pitch the gaskets in there now.  Then lather on the gasket sealer on the header.  Bolt it up tight and let it set over night.  The next morning (or evening after work) fire it up, idle for a few minutes, shut it off.  Go around all of the header bolts again and make sure they're tight.  After the first trip or two also check the bolts to be sure they're tight.  And also the first oil change or two.

I first did this on the 454 big block in my old chevy trailer towing pickup after it blew every brand of header gasket made.  The old chevy's pretty rusty now but the headers still don't leak.  I've since done this on motorcycles, old john deer 2 cylinder farm tractors, etc.  It works really well.  Metal to metal with the "ultra copper" in the middle.  Cheap!

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline Haywire Haywood

Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 10:12:32 AM »
Quote from: Deadeye47
Sounds like ya got yourself a jewel there haywire!  Screwdriver start Makes it a classic...it does have a steering wheel don't it?? Ya don't have to use a pair of vicegrips on the stub do ya???  8)

ROFL... nope, it's got a wheel, even the seatbelts are operational  :grin: .  The gas gauge is fubar, we're opening up the tanks and seeing if the sending units are all varnished up and to get all the bad gas out.  The gas in there has been sitting for a couple years.  YEESH... you should smell that thing running.

Quote from: Scruffy
On the headers try some Permitex "ultra copper" gasket sealer...  -snip snip-

I'll check that out.... That'll save some time... well... it'll save money at least..  hehe

Ian

usually...

Offline Mitch in MI

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 10:54:18 AM »
Quote from: Haywire Haywood
Anything that works will probably end up staying unless replacements are really cheap.

So why replace the valve covers?
If the bolts made dents in the covers from overtightening, (lay a straightedge across the gasket side of the cover and see if it only touches at the bolt holes) just tap the bumps out with a ball peen hammer, coat both sides of the gasket with hylomar, and snug it down without overtightening.

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Guns or trucks
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 10:58:36 AM »
I thought this was to discuss guns and shootin, not junky ol trucks.
 Ford and Chev.  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  Marv!
 O' wqell you guys have to talk about some thing, Next it be women,
 :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Deadeye47

Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 01:12:44 PM »
Well there ya go.... ya got all kinds of suggestions on how to keep that rig on the road Haywire....I would invest in some of those boolit hole decals to put on your tailgate though...it would add..that special touch.

P.S. I know what your real intentions are though...your drivin that beater to work in hopes of takin the boss to lunch and hopefully bringing about a raise for yourself..... ya can't fool me!!:wink:  :wink:  :wink:  :D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
P.P.S.S. And if this forum turns into a Dear Abby whinnin post about women......I'm outa here! :bye:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Haywire Haywood

Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2004, 07:12:33 AM »
Update:  Got the carb on there and put some good gas in the tank a couple weeks ago.  Idled good... good enough to hear those rod bearings making all kinds of ruckus.  So as of now, the engine is out and on a stand with everything that was in it now in neat rows on the workbench.  Gotta decide whether to have my crank turned or just buy a remanufactured crank kit.  The kit will cost me about $50 more but save me the hassle of driving the 60mi to the machine shop, waiting for them to turn it and then driving again to pick it up.   I'm leaning toward the kit.

:-D  :-D Decisions Decisions...  :-D  :-D

Ian

usually...

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Where is Haywire ???
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2004, 07:25:24 AM »
Sounds like that $300 truck is gonna be more like a $1000 truck.  At least that is how all my projects go. :grin:
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline JPH45

Re: Guns or trucks
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2004, 12:28:52 PM »
Quote from: marv

Well to be a true and honest beat around truck he needs to use the hood for a rest and put a round or two through hood, doing this with one of his Handis will bring this right back on topic just fine.  (Don't laugh, guy I went to high school with did that  :lol:  :shock:  :lol:  :shock: )
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Deadeye47

Re: Guns or trucks
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2004, 01:05:50 PM »
Quote from: JPH45
Quote from: marv

Well to be a true and honest beat around truck he needs to use the hood for a rest and put a round or two through hood, doing this with one of his Handis will bring this right back on topic just fine.  (Don't laugh, guy I went to high school with did that  :lol:  :shock:  :lol:  :shock: )
...{scratchin his head...thinking  to himself}...."now I just know I was seeing my target clearly in the scope...there is no way I could have shot my hood...something wrong here....."  :roll:

DECEASED 10-09-05