Author Topic: colt value?  (Read 354 times)

Offline chez48

• Trade Count: (0)
colt value?
« on: June 13, 2004, 01:59:16 AM »
I have come into possession of a Colt Woodsman .22 revolver owned by my now deceased cousin.  It was purchased in 1937.  I have the original box, sales receipt, and factory instruction sheets.  
Does any body know what this revolver is worth.  The gun was used as a plinker when my cousin went on deer hunts so it has been used and shows normal wear.

Offline PeterF.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
colt value?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 05:09:14 AM »
There's so many darn variations on the Woodsman ... a gun that was produced over a period of 40+ years ... and each has its own value.  There's three separate "series" (plus various "pre-Woodsman"), different barrel lengths, National Match models, etc.  Take a look at www.colt22.com .  It's sort of the web "bible" on the subject.  For one thing, it will help you sort out the age, based on the serial number (not easy, because they repeated over the years); also, there's a general "guide" document there that explains the differences from one series to another ... and the relative values from one to another (for instance a 4-1/2-inch Series 3 National Match is worth more than a 6-inch Series 3 National Match.  Then there's the actual condition of the particular gun; how much wear on the finish, etc. (needless to say, a "new in box" is worth more than one the shows heavy use.)  Also, check GunsAmerica.com; they have a separate section just for Colt .22 auto's.  Once you know what you've got, that will give you an idea what other people are asking for something similar. Remember, though, that pricing/value is dependent on the exact model/barrel length/etc.  In any case, you've got a nice piece of history, personal or otherwise ... and it might be a nice shooter too.