Author Topic: Ruger or Taurus?  (Read 985 times)

Offline vhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Ruger or Taurus?
« on: June 13, 2004, 08:57:58 PM »
I am interested in buying a single six ruger with a 9 1/2" barrel in 22lr/22mag or the taurus raging bull in 22 mag. What is the pros and cons of these two hand guns? Is one more accurate that the other? What do you think about one of these hand guns in a 17hmr? If you own one of these revolvers let me know what you like or dislike including accuracy. Thanks! :D

Offline Dusty Miller

Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 09:22:10 PM »
Over the years I've heard many more horror storied about Taurus than Ruger.  Just a thought.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 09:25:51 PM »
I will never buy another Taurus product myself, since I've had bad luck with some of their products, and terrible luck with their customer service.  I contacted Taurus customer service for a fairly simple question about 10 years ago.  They must still be thinking it over, because they never got around to answering my multiple requests.  Of the two Taurus 85s I've shot, one was badly out of time right out of the box.  It shaved off such big chunks of the bullet jackets, it would actually jam when they bound up the cylinder at the cylinder gap.  A Taurus 44 that I had was prone to misfires, but it was comfortable to shoot (when it went off).

I've only had one problem related to function with a Ruger, and Ruger fixed it, free of charge.  Most of my Ruger shooting has been with centerfires, but I've got a friend that's an avid Ruger fan, and he has been well pleased by the many rimfire Ruger handguns he owns.  

As for the 17 HMR, I haven't figured out a use for it in a rifle yet, let alone a pistol.   :lol:   I would never tell someone else not to get one, though.  Go for it, then come back and tell us what you think of it in a pistol.  As long as I can ring a 200 yard gong 10 out of 10 times with a 22LR 10/22, I probably won't be able to convince myself that I need the flatter shooting 17 HMR, or its recent, shorter version (I forget the name, but they should call it the 17 MiniMe).
NRA life member

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 02:19:44 AM »
That is an easy one. I would choose the Ruger over the Taurus. IMO the Taurus is not close in quality or reliability.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline zrifleman

• Avid Poster
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 05:44:20 AM »
Just a thought about Taurus versus Ruger--your comments are too general. "Some" Taurus products have had QC issues in the past. I would match both of my Raging Bulls against any Ruger Redhawk any day. Like its been said so many times already--go check out the guns in person.

Offline leverfan

• A Real Regular
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 08:18:44 PM »
zrifleman-

My biggest problem with Taurus was the lack of customer service.  In my experience, Ruger had better service, so Ruger has my business.  I've had problems with both brands, but I don't expect every gun that rolls off the line to be perfect.  That's why I test them out for a long time before putting a new gun to any serious use.  I have experienced, or personally know people that have experienced, severe trouble with several Taurus products, although the Raging Bull models seem to be better than most of what Taurus makes.  If you do get a dud, though, I don't trust Taurus to quickly and politely make good.

Ruger is NOT known for having major QC problems with multiple models.  Taurus has several models of revolvers and semi-autos that seem to have more than their share of break downs.  I did check out some Taurus guns "in person", that's why I'll never buy one again.
NRA life member

Offline zrifleman

• Avid Poster
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 08:44:25 PM »
Let me tell you a story..... I had to be dragged screaming and kicking into the Taurus Raging Bull family. Years of working in a gunshop and repairing junk handguns--Taurus left a very bad impression. When I actually handled a new 480 RB and found the price was under $500 NIB it seemed a little too good to be true. I figured it wasn't too much financial risk--if it turned out bad I would dump it. Even then I waited a couple of months and read every thing I could on them. As soon as I had one so did my hunting partner. That was 1 1/2 years ago--I have since purchased a matching RB in 454. It's even better than the first. I have so far, fired about 1500 rds thru each gun. My partner is at 500-1000 rds. All three guns have performed flawlessly and are extremely accurate and as tight as the first time out of the box. Best of all, they are pleasant to shoot with heavy loads. Is my experience limited--you decide??

Offline magooch

Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 02:35:48 AM »
Quote from: leverfan
zrifleman-

I've had problems with both brands, but I don't expect every gun that rolls off the line to be perfect.  

Gosh Leverfan, I think you must be a very tolerant fellow.  I, on the other hand, do expect every product I buy to be as perfect as is humanly possible.
Swingem

Offline leverfan

• A Real Regular
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 12:29:12 PM »
Quote from: magooch
Quote from: leverfan
zrifleman-

I've had problems with both brands, but I don't expect every gun that rolls off the line to be perfect.  

Gosh Leverfan, I think you must be a very tolerant fellow.  I, on the other hand, do expect every product I buy to be as perfect as is humanly possible.

I think you misunderstood my level of acceptance for screwed up guns.  I meant that I don't give up on an entire brand of guns just because I get one lemon.  If the company fixes it, and my other guns from that company are not problem guns, then I will keep doing business with that company.  If multiple guns are crap, and/or the company doesn't offer decent customer support, I will not do business with that company.  

If you really "expect every product I buy to be as perfect as is humanly possible," well, good luck, you'll need it to stay sane.  Or, maybe your definition of "perfect as is humanly possible" allows for the many foibles and shortcomings of the human race, and its creations.  If you're serious about "every product", I would expect that could leave a person a bit tightly wound. :money:  :D
NRA life member

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 01:49:12 PM »
I currently have a Millenium in .45 cal. and a stainless Tracker in .41 mag and have owned two Model 85's. Never had a minutes problem with any of them. I also own 4 Rugers, a 9 mm, a .40 cal, and two 22's. Never had problems with any of them either. Maybe just lucky, but would not hesitate to buy either.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline DirtyHarry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 10:03:44 PM »
Right now from personal experience I would say, not counting the Raging series, that I would not recommend a Taurus product unless it is gone over with a fine tooth comb. The QC is just too spotty right now and the customer service from what I read here and am told from a couple friends is a joke. I have yet to see a bad Raging series revolver, and I see ALOT of them every week with thousands of rounds through them.
The ruger could be a nice gun if they would just do something with that trigger, I had some cap guns as a kid that I bet had better triggers.. :)
Other than that they are nice solid guns, and I have only heard of a handful of complaints with their customer service.... :D
The early bird get's the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese.....

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 10:33:24 PM »
Based on what I have heard, read and seen in the last couple years, I'd never buy a Taurus without a thorough inspection first, to include shooting it.  I have owned two Taurus revolvers, one great, one way off target at 25 yards, with fixed sights.  The fit and finish was VERY good, especially on my 44 Spl., but the 357 got unloaded quickly.  
As for the Raging Bulls, I think Taurus is putting everything into them to make sure they are good out of the box, I have rarely heard of a problem with one.  Having said that, I think the quality of the Raging series comes at the expense of their other guns.  And the horror stories about Taurus' "customer service" are legendary, and getting worse.

I'd get the Ruger and never look back.

As for the 17HMR and the new 17 Mach 2, I don't hunt mice or roaches, so I don't need either.   :wink:

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
TAURUS 44
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 05:46:47 PM »
I have a Taurus m44 8+" barrel/ red dot on it. MY FIRST 44 MAG. Then I went to a SBH 7.5" / 2x scope. Finally or lately I added a RH 5.5 to my 44 mag collection. I am ready to trade the m44 off for a RH 7.5" hunter. I am really impressed with the feel and handling of the RH. I should have bought it first. However the Taurus is more accurate than the SBH.  The 5.5 RH is a good field carry gun, heavy on the hip though. I have reservations on any future Taurus buys.
Jim

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 03:47:39 PM »
I'll stick with Rugers. I've seen problems on several handguns, but I prefer Rugers.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline HappyHunter

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 04:20:33 PM »
I have had no problem with the 41 mag RB except for cleaning the porting.  Great lock up and very accurate.  But I sold it just because of the porting (too loud).  

Count my vote (for what it is worth) for the ruger.  

Smith and Wesson has a 22 mag wheel gun that you may like, it is double action.

Fred
Ineedannudernewgun.
NRA Lifetime Member.

Offline 1911crazy

Ruger or Taurus?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2004, 10:01:06 AM »
RUGER  for sure!!!! My three redhawks and security sixes never failed me once in 25 years of use.   Its the NR9 right??  I had the hots to get one for years.                                                      BigBill