Author Topic: New saboted bullet  (Read 1161 times)

Offline TScottW99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
New saboted bullet
« on: June 14, 2004, 06:52:15 PM »
Well Hevi-Shot just announced that they have a new product for this fall. A saboted bullet for 50 caliber muzzleloaders! They are going to offer these bullets in 250, 300 & 350 grains and only in 50 caliber at this time. They should be listed in their web store next week and should be hitting hunting stores come fall. Retail should be around $8.99-$10.99 for ten.  http://www.hevishot.com

I have a package of 250 grain and 300 grain coming to me. As soon as I hit the range I'll let you know how they shoot.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
New saboted bullet
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 01:41:54 AM »
I had heard that they were developing such a bullet earlier in the year.  Glad to see they are following thru.  Anyone seen a picture?
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
New saboted bullet
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 02:41:01 PM »
They sent me a pic through the e-mail they sent me and I lost it  :?   If you sign up for their newsletter you can get some pretty good deals.  They only send one out every month or so.  Right now if you belong to the newsletter you can buy the sabots where as other people can not.  Plus it was only $8.00 with no shipping per package.  Plus they had another offer for more sabots but can't recall the price package.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
New saboted bullet
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 04:45:33 PM »
I ordered some of the bullets today!  Thanks for the heads up!

Offline Omega

• Avid Poster
New saboted bullet
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 01:26:33 PM »
Sheep and I had the distinction of shooting the first animals with the prototypes.

Sheeps hog heart

The production 250 grain next to a 250 SST.
"Beware all undertakings that require new clothes."

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
New saboted bullet
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 02:45:58 PM »
Sheep,
What did you think of the performance?  It LOOKS as if they worked ok.  I have just noticed you didn't use them on your bear hunt.  

They also don't LOOK very aerodynamic do they?  How did they shoot for you?

Offline Omega

• Avid Poster
New saboted bullet
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 03:11:54 PM »
I never got them before I went bear hunting, the hogs were shot with a prototype and I didn't have any left. The bullets have shot well for me with 5/8" of an inch the best group so far. A as shot BC of .170, ( 2195 fps mv) so they're not the most aerodynamic nor the worst.
"Beware all undertakings that require new clothes."

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
Omega, I got some Hevi-Shot sabots....
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 03:45:25 AM »
Do you know ANY info about them from Environ Metal?  Are the DESIGNED to EXPAND?  Man, these things are hard as a ROCK and with no hollow point.  I can't imagine them doing anything put passing thru.  Why DIDN'T they make them hollow point?  I really can't see them doing anything more than what a Harvester hard cast flat nose will do.  Any comments?

Offline RandyWakeman

• RandyWakeman
Re: Omega, I got some Hevi-Shot sabots....
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 03:03:36 PM »
Quote from: big6x6
I really can't see them doing anything more than what a Harvester hard cast flat nose will do.  

Nor can I. I have no idea what potential or imagined improvement they seek to offer. :roll:  If you want to poke holes in animals or shoot through trees, hard cast lead bullets get you there-- and have done.

Offline TScottW99

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
    • Scouting for wildlife
New saboted bullet
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 05:54:05 PM »
I just got mine in the mail and havn't had the chance to hit the range yet. They claim that since they will not deform on set back this allows for them to be fired at higher velocities over conventional bullets...They retain 100% of their weight which should ensure complete pass through wounds especially since it's heavier then lead...They claim better accuracy since you can shoot them at higher velocities.

I have no idea if any of this true but I am 100% happy with there shotgun loads.  I just wanted some more bullets to try out, doubt I switch from my T/C Shockwaves.

-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline RandyWakeman

• RandyWakeman
New saboted bullet
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 07:15:37 PM »
Quote from: TScottW99
They retain 100% of their weight which should ensure complete pass through wounds especially since it's heavier then lead...They claim better accuracy since you can shoot them at higher velocities.

Right. :roll:

And the difference in weight between a 300 gr. Hevi-Shot bullet and a 300 gr. SST would be what?

Offline Dago1

New saboted bullet
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 03:59:47 PM »
The only difference would be the length. The Hevi-Shot would be shorter do to it being denser thean copper-jacketed bullet