Author Topic: need advice on a carry gun  (Read 972 times)

Offline hvacman

• Trade Count: (0)
need advice on a carry gun
« on: June 16, 2004, 04:02:59 PM »
While I'm waiting for my ccw permit to come back I've been looking at small autoloaders in 40. cal. I like the Taurus millenium PT140. I've looked at a few Kahr'sand like them. I also like the Para Ordnance Companion but it is a little bigger than I would like to carry. Has anyone used any of these guns and if so what's your opinion? I'm also open to suggestions. Thanks
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
Re: need advice on a carry gun
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 04:32:44 PM »
Quote from: hvacman
While I'm waiting for my ccw permit to come back I've been looking at small autoloaders in 40. cal. I like the Taurus millenium PT140. I've looked at a few Kahr'sand like them. I also like the Para Ordnance Companion but it is a little bigger than I would like to carry. Has anyone used any of these guns and if so what's your opinion? I'm also open to suggestions. Thanks

Let me preface my response with the fact I'm not trying to be a Smart A$$: When I want to jam I use a Fender® Guitar; when I don't want to jam I USE A REVOLVER.

Offline AZ223

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 04:47:55 PM »
As far as gun types go, I prefer Para-Ordnance, Springfield Armory, and Kimber. I did have one gunsmith tell me to be wary of some guns if you're buying for concealed carry, for reliability reasons. The one he was talking about was Kimber; while they are very good guns, the lower-end models aren't made of 100% forged parts, such as the slide stop and extractor, and have been known to fail for that reason. His suggestion was simply to replace them, in which case you've upped the price about $200 or so, bringing it even with a custom model. Others may disagree with this; I'm only going by what I've been told. Whatever type you pick, try as many as you can, and fire them if possible, and see if you like how they feel.

Regarding size, I carry a Para-Ordnance P12; it's a .45ACP. I'm "average" size, about 6' and 205#, and it's concealable wearing an untucked t-shirt and shorts. If you like a particular gun or caliber but are concerned about the size/weight, look into alternative ways of carry, or how you dress for that matter. Here in Phoenix it's 100+ degrees for at least six months, but I've found that a relatively skinny 1911 behind my right hip and IWP works quite well if a keep my clothing a little loose. It's also more comfortable.  8)

Good Luck!
Life was so much simpler when I thought I knew everything...

Offline KN

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 05:43:08 PM »
I carry a Kahr P9 covert and love it. Lightest thing I could find in good quality pistol in at least a 9mm. I have shot the P40 pistol and I don't recommend it since the recoil is harsh and follow up shots could be difficult. My P9 has had about 600 rounds through it so far and has never had a hickup. Its also the thinnest pistol in 9mm which makes it easy to conceal. I use a Galco IWB holster with thumb break but am considering one of their open top styles instead. Hope this helps.   KN

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 05:44:52 PM »
I’ve been looking for a nice auto loader as well for carry. From the looking around I’ve done and the guns I’ve held I decided to go with the Para CCO with the larger extractor. Since Para changed there extractor I wish they would have went with the Glock type extractor like the new Kimbers use, but they didn’t. The new extractor Para is using is similar to those found on the STI which is a pretty functional piece of equipment. I’m 6” 180# and didn’t find the CCO to be too big however the high cap version was too beefy for my thin frame. For a carry gun in 45 acp I think the CCO is just about perfect.

http://www.paraord.com/pages/lda_single_carry.html

Khars are nice as well and I wouldn’t take a chance on defending myself with the Taurus millennium. I know two people that have owned the Taurus and have had too many problems for me to trust as a ccw. I feel if/when you need to use a gun to defend yourself that you will always wish you had more fire power. If you can handle the 45acp well that’s what I’d go with. You may never have to use it but if you do you’ll be glad you weren’t carrying a pop gun. I personally prefer all steel guns.

Be Safe,
Scott

Offline S.S.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 05:00:35 AM »
Why not a Glock?  
I don't know of any Semi-auto pistol that has
better Power to Carry weight ratio than a Glock has.
I really did not like Glocks myself until I bought one
at a "BARGAIN". I went out and shot it and Now It stays
very close to me most of the time! Not my current carry gun due
to the fact that I prefer a revolver it that role, but it is kept close at hand.
I can't count the rounds  have fired through it and have never had but one stove-pipe Jam. I think this was due to the cartridge having a low powder charge. (I was testing some cartridges)
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 11:02:05 PM »
If money wasn't a problem, I'd take the Kahr and run, but you're going to be the one carrying and shooting it, I'd go with the one I shot the best.  As far as recoil goes, I personally can't tell the difference between a 9 and a 40 in guns of similar weight.  Most guns that shoot the 9 are also chambered in the 40, I'll always go for a bigger bullet if I want to let more blood out of something.  Just my (free) advise.

Whatever you get, practice still matters more than anything else, especially drawing from concealment.  It ain't as easy as it looks!

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 10:03:33 PM »
I prefer high-quality, single-stack semi autos that weigh less than 30 ounces.  They are easy to conceal, and that fulfills the first requirement for winning a gunfight-bring a gun.  I am almost as happy with a S&W revolver, and I prefer the j-frame for concealment use, especially my 3" M60.  A short list of semi-autos would include:

Sig P239, S&W 3913 (or 908S if money is tight), Glock 36, Kahr K9/K40, and some of the light-weight versions of the 1911 from makers like Kimber or Springfield.  I also liked the Para-Ordnance pistols that I had a chance to fire, and a C7 45 LDA is on my wish-list, even though it's a little over my usual weight limit for trouble-free carry.  I guess that's not such a short list, but you wouldn't go too far wrong with any of those pistols, chambered in 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, or 45 ACP.

For a super-tiny, last-ditch backup, consider the NAA mini-revolver in 22 WMR, or the Kel-Tec P32.  I'd rather have one of the other guns that I've suggested in a gunfight, but the NAA and the Kel-Tec can go anywhere with you, very discretely.  They are purely short-range guns though, at least the ones that I own.  That could be operator error, however, as they are not easy guns to shoot well. :wink:
NRA life member

Offline hvacman

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 04:20:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I'll forget the taurus I've heard too many negative opinions on them lately. I have been thinking about a S&W 4040PD and about a CZ 2075 RAMI any opinions on these
it's the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 06:15:12 AM »
I'm not familiar with the CZ pistol you mentioned, but I sure do like their guns.  My next pistol will likely be a CZ 85 in 45ACP, as I prefer bigger bullets over smaller.  I also have a thing for a single-action revolver in 45 Colt.  There's something quite formidable looking about those big, flatnosed slugs glaring out the front of a cylinder!  :eek:   Kind of reminds me of a lion, crouched and ready to pounce.  

Also on the subject of intimidating-looking guns, I love stainless barrels.....they seem to make the hole in the middle look even bigger!  Might give a bad guy additional reason to consider a career change.  :wink:

PJ
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2004, 09:10:25 AM »
Quote from: papajohn428
SNIP....................

Also on the subject of intimidating-looking guns, I love stainless barrels.....they seem to make the hole in the middle look even bigger!  Might give a bad guy additional reason to consider a career change.  :wink:
PJ

I have a friend who carries a Taurus® Mdl 445 for that very reason. He works in a "Tough" neighborhood. The word on the street is to "Leave him alone; he has a gun that will hit you so hard it'll knock you into next week!"

Thus he has no problems.

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2004, 09:20:04 AM »
You mean...............size DOES matter after all?!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline dawei

• Contributor
    • My Brothers Rest Here
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 02:02:38 PM »
Quote from: Dusty Miller
You mean...............size DOES matter after all?!!

Obviously; size does matter!  :grin:  :shock:  :eek: Additionally how that size is presented counts for a lot. :grin:  :grin:

Offline IronTrip

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 07:17:34 PM »
to tell you the truth im not a big fan of tarus.  i know some people who know their stuff when it comes to handguns who swear by them but personally i just don't like them.  either way if i were you id take a look at the springfield xd, great handgun for a great price.  just my two cents though